Claremont to return to Nightcrawler!

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Re: Claremont to return to Nightcrawler!

Post by Angelique »

#7 was wonderful, though there really wasn't much plot to speak of. This issue really made heavy use of Claremont's strengths- a wonderful grasp on scripting, beautiful prose, and the ability to get into a character's head and make people care what they're thinking and feeling.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I loved #7 as well! It serves as a great stand alone comic for fans of both Nightcrawler and Wolverine, and of their bromance. Todd Nauck NAILED the artwork, especially the nods to past events, such as the creation of Excalibur and the scene where Kurt and Logan drink beer while Colossus fights Juggernaut. Alot of heartfelt moments, and some sad realizations. Also, total Kudos to Claremont, working with Marguerite Bennett, for finding a great tone for the issue. THIS is why Claremont is right for this book! His insight on Nightcrawler is unlike anyone else's and he know how to do an internal monologue... dialogue, not so much. I like Clarenont's style, but working with Bennett (or another writer) may be super beneficial to the overall tone and structure of the series.

Also, I thought I'd note that Todd Nauck answered my question on the NYCC Live Marvel stream yesterday afternoon. I asked how working with Claremont was and how is felt drawing an iconic character like Nightcrawler. He said that working with Chris was like a dream come true and that Chris actually sought him out to have dinner along with Len Wein. Nauck said he discovered comics with Claremont in the eighties and that he never even dreamed to be working with him. Also, he said Nightcrawler is easily in his Top 5 X-Men, along with Kitty Pryde, so he tried to put a modern and unique spin on the character while maintaining all the classic character traits and designs. It made my day that he answered my question on air.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Nauck did a great job with issue 7 you're right.

And it's not that the issue is bad or poorly done, I enjoyed it very much. But Kurt (read: Claremont) never shuts up. I'd rather have an empty page where I can enjoy Nauck's art and let that tell the story.

There's this fantastic issue by Hickmann & Epting of Fantastic Four, the issue after Johnny has died and was (eventually not) the last issue of the series. What's great about this single issue is the entire story of a grieving family is told without uttering a single word.

Until the end, when Peter finds Franklin atop the Baxter building. The two have a chat about remembering dead uncles and it's a beautiful moment.

I loved Kurt's memories and Nauck's representation of them and I applaud the entire creative team for putting together such a great swarm of memories and a nice summary of what the relationship was to them... But I'm dreading the fact that in an issue where less-is-more Claremont still put the pedal down with inner dialogue and it seems like there's no way to get around that for him. It's just not my preferred style of comic writing, I guess.

Regardless, if I was at NYCC I'd definitely get Nauck to sign an issue or two. Probably this one. (Yes I went out of my way to get/pay for this one).
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Here is the Todd Nauck interview I mentioned above. My question is around 2:30 (I'm Robert Anderegg), so there's that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI3j7t4VLwE

I have to disagree with you Ult_Sm86. I like the guide through memory lane. It could be overkill at times, but it helps the reader really get into Nightcrawler's mindset. But I do see where you're coming from, since times are different and styles have evolved.

Also, I've been talking to Todd for a while via Twitter, and he's a really fan-oriented creator. I want two different commisions done by him, so I'm on a waiting list for those. Can't wait to see him at a Con, whenever I get around to it that is...
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
HardCider
Lubber
Lubber

Post by HardCider »

Issue 7 was great. I would still like a new writer on this book one that can truly bring Nightcrawler into the modern era. There are some writers that I would not like in fact if Hickman came on I would have a hard time buying this book. I have only bought his Avengers but I have dropped them both because he sucks so bad.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Oh man, by no means am I saying Hickman should actually write Nightcrawler, I was just citing an example of how a death story can (and for me preferably should) be handled.

If I were to attach anyone to Kurt right now?

It's either Charles Soule or Gail Simone.

And after Uncanny X-Men the last couple issues... Maybe Bendis?
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Simone is a good choice if they were to replace Claremont, or decide to pair him wiith someone. Not Bendis... I think tonally his style wouldn't match up with the current direction of the book. I like where things are going and I'd hate to see it turn into crazy action book. Granted, the first arc was a horrible way to start the series and that's on Claremont. If issue five had been the first issue, that would've been a better kick pff point. I'm just curious where it goes from here. The hint for the next arc was "Reeled in", so my guess is Mojo. (Sidenote, I think Mojo and Arcade are my favorite X-villains because they turn the struggles of the X-Men into a spectacle. Something sadistic in that...)
HardCider
Lubber
Lubber

Post by HardCider »

I would love to see Gail Simone on this book that would be great!!
Also I love "Arcade" and would love to see him show up, he and Nightcrawler have history from the X-Men to Excalibur. Thank you Bamfing_Bob for bringing him up, but no matter who Nightcrawler fights I hope he defeats them with out help or at least have be his plan if he has to have help. I just don't want Kurt to play second fiddle in his own book.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Absolutely, Arcade would be great. His recent attacks on Spider-Man, the Young Avengers, and several others has really upped his game.

I wonder why neither of you commented on Charles Soule? I would say if you're unfamiliar with his work, get on it because it's great stuff.

Also, the author of Star-Lord ongoing Sam Humphries and even the ongoing Cyclops author Greg Rucka might be good choices as well.

But yes, Simone is my first choice. She has a heart of gold and characters who have similar traits shine most brightly in her pages. She would also do a lot to help the gender stereotypes so often seen in Claremont's work (which bother me though I realize not so much other, more old school, fans).
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Ehhh, I don't see gender stereotypes as being a prevalent problem in Claremont's work. He has a grasp on writing female characters who don't fit the "girlfriend" role that too many other writers- including a number of newer ones- lack.

As for Gail Simone, I've seen a lot of sides to both her and her writing. She strikes me as a bit of a gamble, but while she could address problems of gender stereotyping, I don't see much need for her to fix problems Chris Claremont didn't create. If anything, she could build very well on what Claremont started.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

So, issue #8 came out yesterday; a few things... First of all, we start the issue with Nightcrawler, the X-Men, and the Jean Grey School trying to adjust to the new dynamic without Wolverine around and everything seems to be slowly getting back to normal. It's good to know that everything doesn't go to hell after the Canadian is gone. Next, the issue shifts to yet another story where someone needs saving and Nightcrawler just happens to be the person for the job. While I like the story and where it goes, the premise is starting to get overused. First Amanda (who he failed), then Ziggy, and now Bloody Bess. I loved the character piece last issue; it really captured the character and made me care. I feel as though we need more development. Less damsel in distress. I mean, I know Claremont is better with teams rather than solo books, but come on. Instead of rescuing someone, Kurt could recover an artifact or hunt down a super-fugitive. Have a non-X-Men team up like Spider-Man or Ms. Marvel. So many cool possibilities. That being said, I think this will be a fun arc. A beautiful pirate needing help defeating a pretty powerful villain. Evil X-Men. Awesome. I will say that Nightcrawler being immune to dark psychic attacks because he is of heaven is far-fetched, but the entire idea of returning from death via what is essentially genetic Jell-O is too, so there's that. Bloody Bess I think would be a fun character for Kurt to have a fling with, just because she has questionable morals and the X-Men may not approve. She's drawn really pretty, so we will see if it lasts longer than two issues. If it doesn't, I think Claremont needed to make up his mind. I know Kurt is a flirt, but is he acting this way because he is torn up about Amanda or because he's trying to move on? I think a stable relationship would be nice for him. Something to ground him and to help things normalize. Lastly, anyone who is reading AXIS knows that Kurt, along with many other heroes, have had their personalities warped. Instead of being forces for good, their intentions are mostly selfish and ruthless. I bring this up just to voice how I kinda think this is a missed opportunity to explore the darker side of his character. We've seen alternate, darker versions of the character, but not Kurt's actual demons. If there's any place to dive into those inner struggles and desires, it's his solo book. On the flip side though, it is nice just seeing Kurt be Kurt. Save the crazy for the group books. I don't know... I guess I just have mixed feeling about everything.
jrnewto
Lubber
Lubber

Post by jrnewto »

Claremont notes in his latest CBR interview that Bloody Bess from the Crimson Pirates is "altogether familiar" to Kurt, "just that nobody has ever… made the connection yet".

So what character Kurt previously interacted with do we think Bloody Bess was?
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=57119

Thanks for sharing this and welcome to the forum! I wrote a novel as a reply to this, but there was a problem and it got lost. Just go read the interview because it is great and raises alot of points concerning the fans. Notably the BAMFs, continuity, creative teams, returning heros/villains, life/death in the X-Men, and his faith. Read it. Trust me.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Welp. We saw this coming, but it doesn't hurt any less...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/12/16/ ... ions-2015/

Despite outselling many titles, Nightcrawler goes to the chopping block. Storm and Cyclops also slated to get the axe. This makes twice now that an ongoing Nightcrawler series get cut off at the 12th issue. Disappointed that Kurt fans are left hanging again. Nauck and Claremont are great, though some would argue CC is old fashioned. I love that about him. This sucks.
jrnewto
Lubber
Lubber

Post by jrnewto »

I've worked out that Bloody Bess is likely Betsy Wilford, who Colossus dates in the 70s:)
HardCider
Lubber
Lubber

Post by HardCider »

Bamfing_Bob wrote:Welp. We saw this coming, but it doesn't hurt any less...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/12/16/ ... ions-2015/

Despite outselling many titles, Nightcrawler goes to the chopping block. Storm and Cyclops also slated to get the axe. This makes twice now that an ongoing Nightcrawler series get cut off at the 12th issue. Disappointed that Kurt fans are left hanging again. Nauck and Claremont are great, though some would argue CC is old fashioned. I love that about him. This sucks.

That is too bad at least he is a main stay in Amazing X-Men. I bet if they gave his solo book an axes tie in it would have done better
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Amazing X-Men #14 saw a boost due to the Axis tie in... Just saying. However, part of the appeal of the Nightcrawler series was that it was detached from all the crap happening around the Marvel universe (aside from Death of Wolverine; the tie in there saw a massive spike in sales for the book).
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Okay first off, if you're not reading Greg Pak's "Storm" or even Greg Rucka's "Cyclops" this is a great reason to go check out both. They are really great. The first trade for "Cyclops" is either out or coming out soon, but it's fantastic. For those who wanted to see Kurt do more space-pirate stuff in his comic?

"Cyclops" is literally all about space pirates. It's great.

Pak's "Storm" is (for me) the most interesting she has been in a page since first marrying Black Panther. I really appreciated her in "X-Men" with the all-female cast, but I think her personality is overshadowed by people who are a bit more bombastic (looking at you Monet). "Storm" is, by far, one of the best solo titles Marvel has on their shelf and I cannot stress that enough. Still don't believe me? Here's my actual published review on "Storm #6".

Also, most good solos get cut off at 12. It's sad when it's even earlier. Rarely does a solo of an experimental, (arguably B-list) character make it. And as a Nightcrawler fan, I'm assuring you -- everyone who signed onto this book had to have known they were taking a risk. ... Maybe not Claremont 'cause he's still living in the eighties, but you get what I mean.

But:
Disappointed that Kurt fans are left hanging again.
Not so fast.
Remember I mentioned that the Bamfs (who are still very much at large, even in the recent premiere issue of Spider-Man & the X-Men?) make an appearance in She-Hulk by Charles Soule?

Well She-Hulk was cancelled a month ago. BUT Soule said that was planned, it was meant for 12 issues (or thereabouts).
ALSO
Brevoort has repeatedly stated this is NOT the last you will see of She-Hulk, especially in 2015. His quote, because I can't find it expect this to be hacked a bit, went something like: "Her CURRENT title is now cancelled. I didn't speak at all on her future appearances or ongoings."

Boom.

I'm calling it, almost completely on conjecture, but they did NOT wrap up what the hell the BAMFS were doing there in her series at ALL and they are near the end. Dr. Strange is making a massive comeback with his own title next year in 2015 (in preparation for his announced film starring Bennedict Cumberbatch) and Nightcrawler is still a major enough player in the comics that he is being featured as a point of interest in nearly every event since he returned. ALSO, the Bamfs are, as I mentioned, at large. Also, he is expected and wanted for 2016's X-Men: Apocalypse by Fox. Need to keep him relevant 'til then right?

You may be asking,

What does all of this mean for the future of Nightcrawler?

Well,
Supernatural super team featuring Nightcrawler, She-Hulk, Dr. Strange, and hopefully Blade.

BAM. Image
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I would jump on that book in a heartbeat... it's funny you mention it, because it feels like Marvel is starting to take more and more "B-List" characters and bring them to the foreground of comics. Just look at Uncanny X-Force... Fantomex, Puck, Psylocke, Archangel... all had successful stories within these pages. Some would argue Dr. Strange isn't a "B-lister", but he doesn't have the exposure or popularity as much of the Marvel universe. Same with She-Hulk, and even Blade who had a Movie trilogy. He's last week's news with all the new Marvel movies coming out. I'd love something like this... good call...
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

What should be a very interesting issue of Nightcrawler next month will probably be less intense thanks, in part, to Claremont's inane narration. Still, this issue is one to look forward to as it's the return of the Shadow King and it may, if my guess is correct, hold another bread crumb in the trail to a superheroic supernatural team.

Just sayin', is all.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

More circumstantial evidence to support my conspiracy theory:
Brevoort never says things without thinking or at least running it through the department heads to make sure he's not overstepping/revealing too much.

For those wondering, W.A.N.D. is the Wizardry Alchemy Necromancy Department (Division?) of S.H.I.E.L.D. ... and it seems like a whole lot of magical shit is popping up in 2015. That probably has nothing to do with this:

Like... not related at all