Nightcrawler Returns -- Inhumanity by Matt Fraction

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Nightcrawler Returns -- Inhumanity by Matt Fraction

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So I woke up to a wonderful tweet this morning from my friend @CBL1978.

"Inhumanity" by Matt Fraction features a very interesting combination of characters...

Including Nightcrawler in what his now his common depiction, a mysterious white robe.

Don't believe me and too lazy to look at the link?

There ya go, ya lazy-butt.

"Called Inhumanity, it seems that there will be more Inhumans than ever before, dormant superpowers being activited, and now numbering in the millions. And the whole Marvel Universe gets involved."
:bamf *BAMF*.

He's back.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Re: Nightcrawler Returns -- Inhumanity by Matt Fraction

Post by Slarti »

A Game of Thrones take on it? XD Oh my.

But wow.... he's back. I wonder in what incarnation though...
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

It's the same robe he's been continually depicted in in Jason Aaron's W&tXM, so I'd suspect it's actually Wagner. His return is imminent in Aaron's series.

Also More from CBR.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Hmmm... I'm actually catiously optimistic.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I hate what they did in the X-Termination storyline, what with killing off all the Kurts... but if it paves the way for a Nightcrawler resurrection, huzzah! I know I am getting this book... Also, I don't read W&tXM... has Nightcrawler been popping up frequently? I saw an awesome cover of Wolverine surrounded by Bamfs, but that's about all my involvement with the series...
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Bamfing_Bob wrote:I hate what they did in the X-Termination storyline, what with killing off all the Kurts... but if it paves the way for a Nightcrawler resurrection, huzzah! I know I am getting this book... Also, I don't read W&tXM... has Nightcrawler been popping up frequently? I saw an awesome cover of Wolverine surrounded by Bamfs, but that's about all my involvement with the series...

It's been very strongly alluded to he is either going to show up soon or the seeds for his return are going to be planted in that title. Azazel has shown up. Thrice.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

I just find it unusual that they announce his return in a different book than the one that was sort of announcing his return.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

They haven't officially announced his return, really. Not in a sincere way.

His return has been hinted at in W&tXM.
The discussion of the constant signals that have shown up can be found on the forum here in the W&tXM thread.

From Brevoort's Formspring:
Q: Just saw of ilustration about inhumanity and I m sad because seems be the future of marvel after infinity and Spider-Woman seems will not have a role black widow yes:( are there plans to Spider-Woman in the future of marvel? Thanks Mr Brevoort

A: It’s a promo image, Carlos, it’s impossible to fit everybody onto it. As I mentioned yesterday, Captain America isn’t on it, and it’s pretty likely that we’re going to be doing some stuff with him. Ditto the Hulk. Ditto thousands of other characters.

Q: Thank you so much for bringing Nightcrawler back!

A: Is Nightcrawler coming back? Don’t jump to conclusions!
More:
How big will the scale of books be for Inhumanity? As big as infinity or something smaller like Chaos War?

The best analogy is something like DARK REIGN in terms of how this will spread across the Marvel line, though there’ll be an actual INHUMANITY title or two as well.
and

Q: Okay, I'm seriously psyched for the new Inhumanity teaser. The proposed new direction for the universe sounds like a welcome breath of fresh air, an interesting premise for putting the mutant community and the regular super hero community on a different footing, and the images for characters figuring prominently in it - freaking wow! I really can't wait for this.(I know, suffer, right?) Oh and Nightcrawler is coming back to feature here?!?! YES!!!!! YES YES YES!!!!

A: One big note on that image: INHUMANITY is the post-INFINITY landscape of the Marvel Universe, in the same manner that DARK REIGN came after SECRET INVASION. So that promo shot doesn’t illustrate all of the characters who’ll be in a single book together. Rather, it shows characters who are going to have something big going on in INHUMANITY and following it.
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

I'm tired of events and am not a fan of Fraction on large casts, but … Joe Mad and Kurt! SQUEE!!!
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

At this point, I think I'll take anything Brevoort has to say about Nighrtcrawler with a grain of salt.
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Entropy »

Looks like we may have a new Nightcrawler series!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/fron ... elman.html
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

This is confirmed or is this just chatter floating out of SDCC?

Either way, FRICKIN' FRACKIN' COOL!!
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Entropy »

No official word, but some sort of statement is supposed to be made on Sunday. Rumors about a solo series are floating around but I personally feel Kurt will be some sort of key player in a new series.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I would like to see him play key roles in Savage Wolverine, Wolverine & the X-Men, All-New X-Men, & Uncanny Avengers.

Then I REALLY HOPE Marvel took my endless tweets about doing a spectral/sophisticated take supernatural characters of Marvel and has Kurt Wagner take the lead.

What's most interesting to me is... if they go out of their way to prove Azazel is actually from Hell... then it appears Kurt may have been stuck THERE with his FATHER the whole time. I'm curious... if this is the case, how is the more spiritual-side of his fanbase going to take that?
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:What's most interesting to me is... if they go out of their way to prove Azazel is actually from Hell... then it appears Kurt may have been stuck THERE with his FATHER the whole time.
Unlikely, given that Aaron's established that Kurt's at least visited Heaven, got some heavenly new threads, and even drank some heavenly beer. Even if I weren't religious, to then turn around and say, "Whoops! Kurt's been in Hell the whole time," would strike me as very poor writing and a horrible way to treat Nightcrawler.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Unlikely, given that Aaron's established that Kurt's at least visited Heaven, got some heavenly new threads, and even drank some heavenly beer. Even if I weren't religious, to then turn around and say, "Whoops! Kurt's been in Hell the whole time," would strike me as very poor writing and a horrible way to treat Nightcrawler.
Where was this? I know that he was in Logan's head in Wolverine but...
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:
Where was this? I know that he was in Logan's head in Wolverine but...
That's good enough. Furthermore, he's shown in that brief appearance in Wolverine and the X-Men to still sport the heavenly white robes.Who knows what he was doing in this panel, or even if Azzy had managed to snag him at all? But to suggest Kurt had never been to Heaven is bad writing and bad trolling. Even if I weren't religious, I'd find it heartless for writers to do that to a character like Nightcrawler.

Perhaps I'm making more of it than it is, but did anyone else notice that the Bamf cloud is a different color?
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Entropy »

He has teleported btn dimensions, perhaps he can teleport out of the land of death. But seriously, i hope they don't reveal where he has been. If asked he should just smile and say he's been around. Leave it mysterious so that those who like the religious side can believe that and those who are not can believe otherwise as well. I personally dislike the recent years overly religious side, bring back Alan Davis styled Kurt.

I guess from the Wolvy series, where after-death Kurt appears, we do know that someone had some control over him, at least to some degree. If i remember correctly someone comments on him being another internal aspect of wolvy and Kurt says something about being the real deal. A figure then says that enough of that and kurt basically disappears. I need to go back and find it and also to look at the recent Wolvy and X-men series to see the other clues i've heard about.
Sundown
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Sundown »

Entropy wrote:He has teleported btn dimensions, perhaps he can teleport out of the land of death. But seriously, i hope they don't reveal where he has been. If asked he should just smile and say he's been around. Leave it mysterious so that those who like the religious side can believe that and those who are not can believe otherwise as well. I personally dislike the recent years overly religious side, bring back Alan Davis styled Kurt.

I guess from the Wolvy series, where after-death Kurt appears, we do know that someone had some control over him, at least to some degree. If i remember correctly someone comments on him being another internal aspect of wolvy and Kurt says something about being the real deal. A figure then says that enough of that and kurt basically disappears. I need to go back and find it and also to look at the recent Wolvy and X-men series to see the other clues i've heard about.
Agree completely on avoiding the overly religious part. Making him almost saint like or, in the very least, holier-than-thou killed a LOT of his draw as a perspective character with general readers, which he excelled at back in the day. Morrison era and after readers already seem to view him as boring and "that religious guy". They have no inkling of what a complex character he was in Excalibur era and before. In my opinion, part of what made him great was that he wasn't incredibly brave, super tough, super strong, genius intelligence or omega powered -- he was just this guy who was born wearing his mutation and he got by the best he could in the world with a ton of heart and a lot of humour. He was a trickster and a great leader through trial and error but he made mistakes. He wasn't perfect and it made him awesome. THAT'S the Kurt I want to see, not Logan's or the X-Men's Jiminy Cricket who can do no wrong. Bringing that back is asking for him to be wallpaper again.

As far as the angle to use with Azazel, I wonder if Kurt interfering with Wolverine's time in Hell opened him up to be taken or captured? If he was the real deal, how did he get there if he was supposed to be hanging out in Heaven? Did he deliberately leave and thus forfeit his right to be there?
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I love that everyone is on the same page...
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

I have to say I agree as well... it will be interesting to see the take they choose and I HOPE it's the lighter swashbuckler.

On a side note, I totally misread your line, Sundown, about "making him almost saint like" and read it as "making him like Saint of Killers" and had a moment of D8 nooo!
Only Skin
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Only Skin »

MOAR WINE.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

Okay, that's pretty darn awesome! As I said in chat:

<Slarti> "Confirmed members of the team also include Iceman, Storm, Beast, Northstar, and Firestar, in her X-Men team debut."
<Slarti> Oh, that's so going on the pull list
<Slarti> Northstar is more of an 'eh, okay' but the rest are among my favorites and.... LMFAO Firestar!

I'm of the generation that grew up watching "Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends" in its first run as my very first introduction to the Marvel universe, so I've always had a weakness for those characters.

This pretty much made my day.

And it even looks fun!
Only Skin
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Only Skin »

YESSSS.

But then I look down and notice Storm with that Mohawk. And I'm not sure why, but the mohawk on her bothers me.
MOAR WINE.
Sundown
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Sundown »

Oh, I am WAY WAY WAY past excited for this.....