Chuck Austen on Nightcrawler

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

there is a most excelent interview with Chuck Austen here: http://www.comicworldnews.com/topstories/austen.html

here is the readers digest Nightcrawler version:

CWN: I come to you, hat in hand, hoping for a crumb of spoiler... Okay, tell me what about each of YOUR core characters made you want to keep them on YOUR team.

Nightcrawler. I love Kurt. He's one of the most interesting characters in the Marvel Universe, to me. He's had the worst life you can imagine. Thrown into a waterfall by his mother to die shortly after his birth, raised by stranger, killed his brother, hounded and hunted because he looks like a blue devil, and yet he's got a great spirituality and sense of humor. He takes it all and keeps smiling, or will, anyway, once I take over I'm personally sick of the angsty, mopey, depressed Nightcrawler.

Iceman. Bobby's great. Incredible power, awesome personality. But I think he's been underdeveloped in recent years, and I think people have missed the core of his character. He's the Iceman. He's got a sense of humor, but it comes from a different place than Kurt.
Kurt has a good spirit, and a warmth of personality that comes from having nothing and believing he's in for more in life. Kurt has hope. Bobby had a family life and came from a comfortable home, and his personality extends from what he sees is lacking in his life. He's not as old as the others. Not as respected. Lorna wants Alex and not him. He's petulant and moody. Kurt is "the glass is half full". Bobby is "the glass is half empty". I know some people won't like that, but it is who he has always been, if people pay attention to the character.
Bobby's humor and personality have always been more interesting when he's causing problems with his immaturity and acid tongue. Kurt's sense of humor is derived from something more inside him that makes him strong. Bobby's sense of humor is derived from something missing inside him that keeps him inherently weak and lashing out. The same reason he hasn't pushed his powers to the limit. I plan to get into what it is that's missing and why he is the way he is and has been, and hopefully, have him fill that hole
The other characters are still secret, but I have great reasons for keeping them, too. It all comes down to making the characters an interesting mix of blended personalities. If they strike all the right chords, then we're in business. Powers are meaningless, ultimately. It's the people and who they are and how they relate that matters.

(read the rest of his characters descriptions as well... he really *gets* these guys)

CWN: When I look at your recent bio I see that you are more closely associated with individual character books then a team, how's the transition for you?

CA: Tougher than I thought. My goal is to give everyone a moment to shine in each issue, but focus on one particular character per arc, and that's working well so far. But it's leaving things tight and difficult to manage, sometimes. I finish scripting every issue and then hit my head Homer Simpson-like and saying "D'oh! I forgot Kurt!" (ok that's not really relevant but i thought it was cute, and Kurt better not be the character he's constantly forgetting to include)

CWN: There is just so much untapped continuity to grab from. Are there any REALLY old daggling plot lines you might look at?

CA: My first question when I took over was "What happened to Krakoa? Is he still floating around out there in space? Did he re-enter the atmosphere?" That's a dangling plot thread that goes back to the very re-introduction of the X-Men. Come forward from there and you trip over at least two an issue.
Why was Mystique being chased by those villagers? How could she toss her own child over a waterfall?
Does anyone remember there were elves in issue #102? What was that all about and what happened to them?
And the biggest dangler of all ... who's the third Summers brother?
Some of those will be answered during my run. All of them, if sales go up and I stick around.

(woo boy and here comes a reeeealy long chunk, it deals wiht both Nighty and Northstar re: Northies homosexuality defining him, and Kurts religion defining him.)

CWN: I hope that you will be exploring Northstar's character beyond him being gay, which is important to him but should not be a DEFINING character aspect.

CA: Okay.

CWN: The same can be said about Nightcrawler's religion...

CA: All right. Are there questions you want to ask me about this, or is this the opinion part of the interview?

CWN: Questions? In a way they were.

CA: I know. I just felt like being literal and giving you a hard time because I knew there'd be a round two of questions. Never take me too seriously.

CWN: I'm curious how much you are going to play with those aspects of these respected characters.

CA: Nightcrawler's religion takes a big role in the first year, and comes to a spectacular head that will shock and anger people with any deep-seated religious convictions. It's going to be awesome, and completely logical within the continuity that's been established. (YES!!!! he's gonna tick off deeply religious peoplel so that means.... :evil: )
And Northstar's homosexuality is what it is. Part of him without defining him. I've had many friends over the years who are Gay, both men and women, some of them very close, personal friends, and homosexuality has never been the defining sense in their lives any more than being straight is the defining element of who I am, but it is a factor in varying different ways, depending upon the person. In fact, I wrote a scene with Northstar and one of the X-men, a straight male, where they're discussing Gambit.
X-MAN: "I don't get it. What do women see in that jerk?"
NORTHSTAR: "He's a babe. I'd sleep with him in a heartbeat."
X-MAN: "Oh yeah. I keep forgetting you think that way."
That's Northstar's existence in the X-Men in a nutshell. "Oh, yeah. I forgot you think that way."
Personally, I view homosexuality as like eye-color. It's a part of the individual that they may like or dislike, but it's what they've got and they live with it. You can wear colored contacts, or you can be proud of you color.

CWN: The "Church of Humanity" is a story line that Joe Casey left intact when he left, does this mean you have plans?

CA: Oh, do I have plans. I would have just let it go, but this damn continuity thing seems to upset folks so much if you ignore it completely. The Church will play an important role in an upcoming story with Kurt that explores the nature of his choice to become a priest. It has some surprising aspects to it that should please and shock long time fans. It will bring an end to the Church storyline that Casey left dangling. Of course, if my sales drop out of the top 25, Casey will be back telling his version, so stay tuned.

CWN: I don't recall ever hearing about Kurt becoming ordained prior to Casey's run, when did this happen? Off "camera"?

CA: Yeah, that was annoying, wasn't it. Kind of like Kurt's entire priestly experience. Off-camera. I think Casey did that because he really wanted to do his Nightcrawler/Church of Humanity/"Holy War" series, so he slipped it through as part of his own agenda and left me with a dangling thread that sticks out like a sore thumb. I'll have to thank him for that, someday.

out of sequence but thought i should include it:

CWN: Can you give us an approximate arc-by-arc breakdown?

CA: #410 - #414, HOPE, and it's epilogue. It makes some sweeping changes in the X-Men and brings in a couple of new additions to the mansion. It's also a good jumping on point for new readers, as it's very friendly and re-introduces Xavier, his dream, and his mansion and students. It also brings in Northstar.
#415: A stand-alone story involving Mystique and her relationship to Nightcrawler...
#416: A stand-alone story with the various members of the X-Men dealing with recent changes to the team and the mansion.
#417 - #420 An arc dealing with Archangel and Betsy, as well as a secondary story bringing Havok back.
#421- 422: A mini-arc, which includes Alpha Flight.
#423-#424: A Nightcrawler 2 parter.
#425: The wedding.
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Post by little Blue Lucy »

He's going to p*ss off religious fanatics eh?:smirk:
Sounds promising!:evil:
Vala: "Hello."
Daniel: "What the hell are you doing here?"
Vala: "Isn't this my room?"
Daniel: "Noooo… your room is across the hall… with the… guard in front of it."
Vala: "Ah yes, they do all rather look alike don't they? Anyhow, Since I'm here, shall we make the best of it?"
Daniel: "No, we shalln't."
Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member #11 :engarde

:respectnc and they'll respect you, back.
ces
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by ces »

Thanks Bamfette! :love:
And even greater thanks to Austen! Now, let us see to that his book sells and all of those dangling threads are resolved! There's too much unresolved things right now, and if they are not resolved soon the whole X-Men Universe will collapse on itself... :o Go Austen, go! This sounds so promising!
:lockheed into Uncanny! :austen
BlueJubatus
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BlueJubatus »

wait a minute........
something that should "shock and please" longtime fans...... A nighty two parter that leads to a major change....followed by an issue about a wedding..............ummmmmm
mebe im waaaaaayy off in left field, buuuuut:P
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

...... hmmmmmm.... suspicious....

but it really is apparent he's Chucks favourite, huh? look in a year, there is one solo story very early on tying up a question all of us have been dying to find out, then 2 more issues featuring Nighty. the only other character to get 3 issues dedicated to him is Archangel..not even Havok or Northstar get more than one when they join the team. and just listen to him talk about him. if you read the article, Nighty is the X-Man he talks about more than any other. his description of Bobby was half about Kurt! and, wow, he really gets him, and Bobby too!
ces
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by ces »

Yes, he really seems to get the characters! And I don't care about that shocking/pleasing us fans, not as long as it's well written (and in character!)... I'm really 'hyped' right now - he gets the characters, he wants to untangle plots, he has Nighty in favour, and his team just has a good feeling over it (seems well balanced, but that depends on how the teammates are going to interact with each other...)! :D This just seems great!

Bamfette, I guess you'll be talking more with him? Then tell him that he at least has one Nighty fan's complete trust! ;) (*hope I won't regret saying that later*)
:lockheed into Uncanny! :austen
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

I'm just happy if he's getting our Nighty back!:D

Oh I Also like what he said about Northie and eye color!:)
That's just cool, and I completely agree!;)
Vala: "Ah yes, they do all rather look alike don't they? Anyhow, Since I'm here, shall we make the best of it?"

Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

woo boy Chuck just spilled some more juicy tidbits! Nighty sounds like he will be having a very large roll in the future of Uncanny! :D we must do everything in our power to ensure Chuck stays on Uncanny ;)

Originally posted by Chuck Austen
Originally posted by Bamfette
ok Chuck...i was jsut wondering something... i was trying to explain to someone the whole moving of what was 415 to 424 and stuff... and now i'm kinda confused :p

this is what was said in an interview with you a while back:

CA: #410 - #414, HOPE, and it's epilogue. It makes some sweeping changes in the X-Men and brings in a couple of new additions to the mansion. It's also a good jumping on point for new readers, as it's very friendly and re-introduces Xavier, his dream, and his mansion and students. It also brings in Northstar.
#415: A stand-alone story involving Mystique and her relationship to Nightcrawler...
#416: A stand-alone story with the various members of the X-Men dealing with recent changes to the team and the mansion.
#417 - #420 An arc dealing with Archangel and Betsy, as well as a secondary story bringing Havok back.
#421- 422: A mini-arc, which includes Alpha Flight.
#423-#424: A Nightcrawler 2 parter.
#425: The wedding.

so #415 is now somehting with Iceman and Northstar, and the Mystique story got moved to #424 (?)

It was moved to 427. Sorry for the confusion. I knew I got my numbres mixed up. The wedding is a 2-parter, and then the Mystique story follows, leading into a big arc dealing with Kurt in the "A" story and Warren in the "B" story.

so is the Nightcrawler 2 parter still a 2 parter?

Yes. That stands as is, although it involves all the team, it centers around Kurt and the [spoiler]Church of Humanity.[/spoiler]

is this why the Alpha Flight issue is double sized,

Alpha Flight is double sized because the story exploded into three issues and it had to end in two. So Marvel said rather than truncate it, let's make it double-sized.

421-22 got put into one issue...?

No, separate issues. 421 is regular sized, first part of the Alpha Flight arc, and 422 is the second part, double sized.

could you clear this up a little?

Hopefully I did. If not, feel free to corner me again.
--Chuck
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Wouldn't that mean that the issue that was moved because of the movie is going to be coming out in September next year? Hardly ties in with the movie...the VHS/DVD maybe...but not the movie...

Or is the rumoured two issues a month thing not a rumour?
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

I thought that was confirmed.:?

Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

thought what was confirmed?

Chuck said at the con they are doing between 18 and 24 issues a year, so the issue will be coming out sooner than you think ;)
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Man...I'm gonna have no money...I worked out what I should be getting when my August comics arrive this week...and it comes to a total $AU116.50! And that's not including the Ultimate X-Men hardcover I ordered...that's $AU80 on it's own!:shocked:

Thank God I have no life...

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Originally posted by Bamfette
thought what was confirmed?
Oh I'm sorry!:oops:
The 2 issues a month thing.

Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Hmmm...might also explain why, when asked, he said it took about two weeks to draw a comic...that way w can get one every two weeks...cool...even if they DO cost me over $5 a pop!

little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

!:eek: My comics only cost about three bucks!

Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

It's all thanks to the crappy Australian dollar! And the distance it's gotta travel to get here...I pay more than double the cover price...

But it's my vice...I don't drink...I don't smoke...I don't go out partying on Saturday nights...I just have my comics...and my toys...and my DVDs...

Nightcrawler_o63
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Nightcrawler_o63 »

My comics usually cost a little less that the cover price for Canada, but in Euros (if Uncanny would cost $3.75 in Canada I would pay around €3.25 here in Portugal); and considering that I buy some other Marvel comics in Portuguese - were on Uncanny 380 here - this is getting way to expensive, so I hardly drink, I definitely dont smoke and my girlfriend makes more money than I do...
http://www.nightcrawler.web.pt

BECK in Truckdrivin Neighbors Downstairs (Yellow Sweat) "Grizzly Bear Motherf***er Never Goes To Sleep".
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Originally posted by Nandireya
But it's my vice...I don't drink...I don't smoke...I don't go out partying on Saturday nights...I just have my comics...and my toys...and my DVDs...
Same here. I like it that way though.:)
Oh and you can pretty well replace DVDs with Nightscrawlers since I almost never watch mine.:P

Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Nightcrawler ZERO »

Bamfette- You wanted to know that Chuck quote? In an interveiw with 5 x creators, the bio section asked them all "One thing about the X-Men only he knows" Here are the responses-

AUSTEN: The details of Nightcrawlers anatomy "It's not just his fingers that are splayed in two"

CLAREMONT: Everything

GARNEY: The Hidden X-woman. "Wolverine had a sex change"

MORRISON: Logan's status in the locker room. "Logan's [equipment] is much bigger than Sabretooth's"

QUITELY: What happens in the unseen panel he penciled featuring Cyclops and the White Queen. "I would like to say what they were doing, but I was told to erase it."