Favorite Non-Xbook Nightcrawler Appearances

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Favorite Non-Xbook Nightcrawler Appearances

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Sort of a ballpark subject matter, but over the last few days Original Nightcrawler (Kurt Wagner) has appeared in various comic books (back stocks/trades) that I have purchased and read.

Most notably, Cristos Gage & Mario Alberti's X-Men & Spider-Man 4 Part Mini. Very cool story about Spider-Man/X-Men team ups over the years featuring Mr. Sinister and even Kraven the Hunter.

The character Xraven is very interesting and I'm wondering if he's appeared in any other stories. :offtopic but that's besides the point, the point is --

NIGHTCRAWLER SHOWS UP!

There's a great panel of Spider-Man surprising KURT, and the reaction on Kurt's behalf is rather humorous.

Nightcrawler: "Spider-Man! Lieber gott, don't startle me like that!"

Spider-Man: "Oh, come on, Nightcrawler. The guy with fangs and a devil tail is scared of li'l old me?"

Nightcrawler: "Perhaps if you hadn't attacked me the first time we met!" [Note: I actually have this issue Kurt is referencing -- more on that later]

It's humorous to say the least. Some fun villains show up too. Ben Reilly as Spider-Man is in there, Carnage, etc... A really great read for "over the years".

The other thing he appeared in, in simply a panel shot, was Dan Slott's/John Romita Jr.'s arc from Amazing Spider-Man Hardcover ELECTION DAY trade. This is a great one, and the only way to catch Kurt is either to buy the tie-in issue or to get the Hardcover. Apparently, while Spider-Man is being detained in prison (urged to do so by his attorney Matt Murdock of course) Daredevil enlists he assistance of various super heroes to return some debt to the wall crawler. One of the people in a spider-get up?

NIghtcrawler

Awesome.

Also, I have the two part #241-#242 Marvel Tales: Featuring Spider-Man & Nightcrawler. I missed the first issue featured here:

Image however this is the issue I have. Very fun.

What's your favorite Nightcrawler appearance? (From obviously a non-Xtitle.)
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Re: Favorite Non-Xbook Nightcrawler Appearances

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Got this little comic here at Savers the other day...

It's... well it's crap. But it's enjoyably cracky crap. It's apparently 1981 (wow, Nightcrawler was all over the place that year?) but it's not exactly of the highest quality paper, but perhaps that could just be due to improper storage. The ink is settling in weird ways, but Nightcrawler is very much the heroic, Errol FLynn-type elf we've all wanted him to be.

I also grabbed Image... Wow. Micronauts. Wouldn't believe it until you saw it, honestly...

One of the most oddball, corniest plots ever, I have to copy/paste the summary from Wikipedia in order to properly relay the hoakiness going on in here.
A new problem arises when Prince Argon begins displaying paranoia regarding the Micronauts, and eventually sends a special Death Squad to kill them. The Micronauts defeat the unit, and then encounter the mutant Nightcrawler and battle a new foe called Huntarr. Huntarr is genetically engineered by Argon to destroy the Micronauts, but Marionette makes him see that Argon is simply using him.
Anyone else got any fun Nightcrawler Appearances they wanna share?
Last edited by Ult_Sm86 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

Gosh. I have the micronauts books...Somewhere. Will have to dig pretty hard, and don't really want to, because man they were camp.
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Yes... yes it absolutely is. Total camp.

A lot of these early '80's Nightcrawler appearances (and comics in general at that period) were total camp though. Fun, cracky, camp.