Nightcrawler Returns -- More Or Less

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So Kurt's "back", in Wolverine Weapon-X.

If you get any Marvel Ish this month, the ad page is in there, the head-banner saying

"A FRIEND'S FINAL REQUEST".

I wonder what it's about? I mean if it's Wolverine, you know there's going to be a lot of Kurt talking to him about his grizzly ways, but it involves Weapon X.... and it says it's a friend's "final request"?

Kurt Wagner, sir, what did you get yourself into?

What could he possibly want with Weapon-X? Is he going to let Logan show him a look at the world from the shoes of the Wolverine? Is he going to be led into a mission with no prisoners to be taken alive? Or left alive? I am incredibly intrigued.

It's good to see such nice artwork on the Elf again.

Davide Gianfelice is the artist, he's lookin' good.

Jason Aaron writing, not familiar with him. Anyone got any feedback as to how he writes? Well? Kurt-relatable?
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

I don't think it's about Weapon X. This series stopped actually being about Weapon X after the first arc or so and just ended up being the Wolverine series. The name just remained.
I really hope this will be good.
Trigger
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Trigger »

I thought that this issue was just about Kurt's will being read? So the final request must be in there; something he wants Wolverine to do. At least that is what it says here:

http://marvel.com/catalog/?id=16130

[Edited on 12/8/10 by Trigger]
BAMFCentralII
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BAMFCentralII »

ah so they are using it as a catalyst or jumping point into the new ongoing wolverine #1 series.

interesting to note the duo are in their original x-men gear so has to do something with around their induction into the x-clan...
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

According to Mr. Gianfelice, the book is a series of flashback stories.

[Edited on 12/8/10 by neling4]
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Blob55
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Blob55 »

So will this Issue be the last ever mention of Nightcrawler? I just hope that the final request isn't something like Corpse raping, or making Wolverine forget that Kurt ever existed.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I can't believe they would do either of those. Wolverine was his truest friend and vice versa, to break that friendship up, it'd be crazy. If anything this is a great way to bring him back, if people who are Logan fans see what a great relationship he has with Kurt, they might demand he come back eventually. And keep in mind, it may not feel like it, but Logan is in every book for a reason. People <3 Wolverine.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

I don't know...

But since I'm not currently reading Marvel I don't know how I'll find out.

Anything you can do to help me with that? Like, spoiler reviews anyplace? (When it's out, of course.)
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I will be looking at no spoilers, so if you link them, please don't copy/paste any text from them into the thread please.
Trigger
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Trigger »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:I can't believe they would do either of those. Wolverine was his truest friend and vice versa, to break that friendship up, it'd be crazy. If anything this is a great way to bring him back, if people who are Logan fans see what a great relationship he has with Kurt, they might demand he come back eventually. And keep in mind, it may not feel like it, but Logan is in every book for a reason. People <3 Wolverine.
People might not want him to come back for that very reason. Wolverine has become a very angsty character; some people like it when they get to watch Logan mope/rage continually. This is the perfect set up for more of that.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Nah, I like to think more positively than that. I see Logan fans going back and rereading great plots with him and Kurt and eventually the sales of those TP's will show to Marvel, maybe even a flood of letters asking "Why'd you get rid of the elf?"
Trigger
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Trigger »

Here's hoping. I always preferred a happier Wolverine than what he seems to be now. Honestly though, I'm not sure I want him to come back in any Logan-centric book. I want him to come back, but I'm a little afraid that if he came back a Wolvie book that his return would become all about Logan.

I want his come-back to be so incredible that there is no room for any other character. By the time everyone gets done reading his return issue I want them to think "Wolverine who?"
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Here are the previews, courtesy of CBR:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... disp=table

Mistress_D
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Mistress_D »

Ah, nostalgia. Thanks for the link! This looks like a really nice story, I might pick it up. Art's not bad either, not my favorite but I've seen worse. And let's face it, nobody draws Wolverine better than Adam Kubert. But there's still the question, how does this lead into Wolverine winding up in Hell in "Wolverine #1" in September? http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/ ... veloct.htm: this is the October issue.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Read it. Loved it. One of my favorite Kurt centered stories since the Austen debacle.

Logan is at his most grumbly, most hardest to break, and Kurt, in death and in memory, is at his most hopeful, his most empathetic, and his most playful.

If you were not aware before reading the issue, you certainly are when it's done. These two are clearly[ BFFL's. Best Friends For Life. And the afterlife.

My suggestion?
Go and get it. ;)
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

I got mine and I loved it.

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Dang. Now I'll have to go and get it....
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Oh, yeah, baybay, if it passes NELING's muster, it is a must-purchase for me also.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Threetoe
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Threetoe »

Nice previews. I still haven't read this issue or the one that Nightcrawler dies in. It looks really good... I hope it's a good send-off for the fuzzy elf.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Here is a review of Wolverine: Weapon X #16 by a CBR poster:

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/sh ... p?t=335574

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Okay, now I have to buy it.

*heads out to the garage to see if there are some empty soda cans to be turned in for the nickel.* (After all just eighty is more than enough to buy a single comic!)
~Def.
Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

If you haven't gotten this issue yet and want to read it, check out this site:
[Deleted by mod for the protection of copyright. Please feel free to contact any member of the mod team or Freak specifically for complaints. However, the tag for this site is "CREATORS, friends, nightcrawler", so let's be nice to the creators ;)]

Use logurt as the password.
Someone scanned in the entire comic.

Although I loved the story, I wasn't impressed by the artist's drawing of Kurt or by the conclusion. It suits Logan better to be a bitter atheist than a believer, IMO.

Karl

[Edited on 6/9/10 by Freak]
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I liked Logan better not as a bitter atheist, but a grumpy skeptic. Still, color me a bit harder to please. I felt Kurt came across as a bit too preachy, but I suppose it was felt that memories of them just pal-ing around didn't add to the story, or perhaps more flashbacks of them playing practical jokes on each other wouldn't contribute.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Bought a copy of this yesterday, so I'll give it a read pretty soon.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I felt Kurt came across as a bit too preachy, but I suppose it was felt that memories of them just pal-ing around didn't add to the story, or perhaps more flashbacks of them playing practical jokes on each other wouldn't contribute.

A bit harder?

Karl, I concur 100%