Paradise X 3

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Paradise X 3

Post by Slarti »

In the new tradition of nicking topics from the Monument:

Slartibartfast: Lookie what I found.
http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0206/21/pc.htm
It's Kurtlasco on the cover of Paradise X 3! Well, his profile anyway. I guess I'll bite the bullet and get it. He's not in any of the other preview pages.

Crawler: Well Kurt being Belasco certainly gives new meaning to the phrase "own worst enemy"...in more ways than one. Although Cockrum is none to happy about the Kurtlasco story.

BlueJubatus: YAY!
I have been looking forward to this one all month! Everybody should get it! The whole series is wonderful and the added bonus of mabey some Kurt angst in this issue is a nice perk.

Garble: I liked Earth X when it first came out, even though parts of it were silly. Now it's just rediculous.
There was one issue where Bruce Banner basically tells Cyclops "The X-Men were full of shit, you know. I mean all you guys ever did was just self-serving pro-mutant propaganda." And Cyclops was actually like "Gee, I never thought of it that way!" I mean has this guy NEVER read X-Men???
Then Kurt's been treated with this ludecrous irony-for-irony's sake treatment. Af first he's stated as having been turned "normal" by the virus (wich didn't effect ANY other mutant, btw) and then killed by an angry mob of mutants.
Now the whole Belasco mess is "Ahah! The demonic looking guy turned priest is now a human turned devil!!!" Bleah!

Slartibartfast: Yeah, I know Dave Cockrum hates it. He seems to hate just about everything that's been done to Kurt since he left X-Men though. Not to badmouth Cockrum, but he seems very, very ... bitter.
Blue- I pick up that book every now and then and still never understand it! I'm glad there's somebody here now who knows something about Earth X. You can give the rest of us a lesson.

BlueJubatus : Slarti- Love too, just tell me what you want to know-kinda complex story going on, lotsa people coming back form the dead, and not dying and killing off death and yea, i can see how its confusing
Cant really blame cockrum tho. Wish theyed hire him back

Garble: Cockrum has a very unique perspective. He didn't just design Nightcrawler's appearance for Marvel. He created the entire character from his head. And what's more, he basically made the character with his own personality.
To everyone else on the planet, seeing someone do a weird twist or re-development of Nightcrawler could be fun and new. To Dave, it's almost a personal insult. To Dave, Nightcrawler should be Nightcrawler, there's no reason to make him into someone else.
I understand that all characters change and get re-interpreted. But I also empathize with Dave.

BamfKat: Sorry, but I never can buy the whole Kurt is Belasco line. The entire idea that in loosing an arm or by catching a virus he becomes a normal human is so lame; it's as if to say because I caught a cold all my kids will be born with colds. Losing a limb does not alter your genetic structure in ANY way no other mutant is so effected by the virus...
Sorry,but what a load of $h!+!
This is non-logic that pisses me off about this and other Marvel editorial descisions. They accually let this stuff see print?
BamfKat...
who wanders off ranting to him self about the nonsense that Marvel cranks out...

BAMFCentral: Garble: Which issue are you refering to???? That incident doesn't come immediately to mind. i will look it up. BamfKat:There was a bit more to his change into Belasco than just the arm. Remember Mephisto was involved.

All in all the writers of the series have done a good job of interpreting the Marvel universe and making it tie all together. Though everyone will object to a few of their choices, still good all around. And definately a series I would recommend in Graphic Novel format. Easier to follow if you can read several of the issues back to back. Because at times it is like reading a history book rather than a comic.
Originally, I belive this was suppose to be the Kingdom Come version for Marvel. But with new the last tale stories soon to be written by other writers, this one is just another What if story line, which some fans have considered it for awhile. I think at X-Fan they had an article where the writer even referred to it to a more of a what if story line.

BamfKat: It is not that he became Belasco, it is how he lost his powers in the first place. It is the inherent illogic of how the genetics work. It is like saying Michael Jordan is tall cuz his dad always reached for the cookies on the top shelf.
Buy it and enjoy it if you like. My only statment is that geneticly and physiologicly it makes no sense within the concepts of Marvelverse.

Garble: I beleive I saw that Banner/Summers exchange in Universe X: Beasts. It's a story about Madrox becoming a Wendigo.
I admit that some of the stuff is pretty cool. And the writers ARE working hard to come up with original stuff, but I don't think all of it is very well concieved. Just because you CAN write a story doesn't nessesarily mean you SHOULD.
Plus remember that all of this started when Alex Ross was thinking of ways to ruin the X-Men.

Nandireya: Never been interested in it...I'm uncomfortable with Kurt losing an eye in Exiles...so all this is just too much for me...he doesn't even look like Kurt!

BlueJubatus: Ok, I got my copy today. It was good, not much really happened in it tho... It was more of a "lets tie everything together so that it makes some sort of sense" issue.
Heres basicly what happened...
WARNING-SPOILERS AHEAD-Scroll down if you dont want to spoil anything

:
:
:
:
:
Ok, it was mainly Kyle- a guy who attained access to all the knoladge of creation explaining to the new watcher how his "I know everything" power worked.
As I said, nothing really happened, except for excerpts from different things that were going on in the X universe, some important, some not.
Not much Kurttage really, although Kurtlasco was shown in one scene having a conversation with Collosus about how ironic it was that they both sort of became their own enimies in order for them to be friends. They sort of semi explained Pete's being alive as a side effect of him becoming Mr. Sinister. You heard me right.
Pretty screwed up, no?
So yea, the basic scenes that they showed were the end and aftermath of the Brittian/Medusa wedding, durring which it was revealed that some dude was impersonating banshee and cyclopse flipped, some interesting things were revealed about Jean, some scenes in "Paridise" with Pheonix and the rest of the deadies and trouble brewing in the negative zone.
By the way, the much hyped confruntation between the wolverines summed up in about three panels. That was it. I was actually a little dissapointed
:
:
:
:
:
:
END SPOILERS
all in all, it was pretty good.
If you havent been interested in reading the story, or wernt thinking about getting caught up on whats going on, I wouldnt bother.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Paradise X 3

Post by Slarti »

Okay, now my two cents. When did Colossus become Mr. Sinister? I find that one even tougher to believe than Kurt as Belasco.

I agree that the virus is a bit of a stretch, but Alan Davis had the High Evolutionary take away mutant powers once too. Kurt lost his mutations and looked like a normal guy. He was rather traumatized by it then as well. I can see Mephisto turning him into what he hates most just because he IS Mephisto. So, while hard to take, I can see something this horrible happening to poor Kurt.

But what's up with Piotr? In love with JEAN? HUH? That just broadsided me.
BlueJubatus
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Paradise X 3

Post by BlueJubatus »

yea that struck me as being a little off as well, i mean, it hasnt -to my limited knoladge- even been hinted at in the regular continuity. Mebe theyll explain it later. I hope.