To Retcon the Draco Arc...

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

I agree with pretty much everything that's been said, especially this:
I think it cheapens the writers/writing....but I agree with you. Nightcrawler's appearance was to me a symbol of the entire mutant struggle---he looked like the epitome of the worst kind of monster, but inside he was nothing like that. Human beings all over the world treat each other like crap based on race, religion, gender, etc. Xmen is a metaphor for reality. It's also a metaphor for doing good in the face of evil even if that evil is directed at you...ie: I choose to keep my civilized humanity even when others are dismissing it or trying to take it away from me.
Then to take a fully human man and say because he looks like a demon, he must be related to one....or have something to do with the supernatural....it kills the metaphor. IMO, it flies in the face of the whole idea of the Xmen. It justifies the ignorant mobs who refuse to accept the mutants' humanity regardless of how they may look.
That is absolutely right. THAT IS WHAT KURT STOOD FOR. He was the essence of ANYONE'S struggle for equality, looking/acting different, but on the inside STILL THE SAME HUMAN THAT ALL THE REST OF US ARE! It's one of the reasons why I hate the idea of "homo superior" -- scientifically speaking, they're not a seperate species and metaphorically speaking, it labels them as REALLY different from us. And the whole point is that they AREN'T-- mutants are exactly the same as any other human on this planet, once you get past the fur/fangs/claws/tails/strange superpowers. Kurt is a HUMAN. To make him anything else is to make his entire struggle, his whole life's goal, a struggle in vain. THAT is why Kurt needs to have this whole Azazel thing gotten completely rid of.

Plus, Kurt was a unique character. He was the only person in the world who looked like him! He was a mutant: individual, different. And while it's obvious that he got some traits from his mother, the point of a mutant is mutation, a change from what was before into something different. Essentially, mutation means an accident in the DNA replicating. Thus, Kurt was different from anyone else in the world, with his own unique genes.

Then enter Azazel. Suddenly, Kurt has half a million half-brothers and sisters who all look exactly like him. Kurt is no longer different and unique: his coloring, eyes, and probably his flexible spine come from his mom. His tail, ears, teleportation, ability to disappear into shadows, and wall-crawling all came from his dad! The only thing at this point that appears to be a true mutation is his fur, and as far as we know either Mystique or Azazel could have fur as well! Kurt is no longer unique-- he's just borrowing his genes from his parents... and all his half-brothers and sisters have half his genes.

That's the other reason to get rid of Azazel.

But please, writers... please do it well!

[Edited on 8/30/09 by Dedicatedfollower467]
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Angelique wrote:Nightcrawler having problems with the theory of evolution
WHAT?? Issue # please so I can read it and spit poison for a few hours.
In other words, I'd be happy if no writer ever refers to Nightcrawler as half-demon or son of a demon, and if nobody ever mentions the whole priesthood thing ever again.
Oh wow we are agreeing for once.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Austen or Casey did it.'
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

Neling,
What do you think about the post at Marvel that said that Austen said he misplotted the Draco arc?

http://www.newsarama.com/common/forums/ ... 8&start=20

(scroll down to #132 near the bottom of the page)

I guess it doesn't mean that he's unhappy with the idea of the story....but it does mean he thinks there were some problems with it. I wonder in what interview he actually said that?
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

I may be one of the few people still here with primary source material re: exactly what Austin was thinking when he wrote the Draco.

Though it is pretty much ancient history now, the founding Nightscrawlers administrators (which doesn't include me) were good friends with Chuck Austin and so during the time that Austin was writing X-Men, this was one of the few staunch pro-Austin comic sites on the web. (It might have been the only one.)

I became Nightscrawlers new "tie-breaker 3rd Admin" around the time of San Diego Comic Con in 2004. As I was joining a "pro-Austin group", it was assumed that I was pro-Austin as well even though I wasn't a big X-Men fan prior to 2002. I actually had little opinion on Austin other than his were the issues I could pick up in the comic book store NOW . And the truth is, I liked Austin well enough. Having such a limited background with the characters and coming from mostly independent and non-superhero comics his work resonated with what I was used to. The melodrama and bad characterization went over my head at the time. It's only now, reading back, that I see what people were so pissed about. (Though I remember Austin telling me he got death threats from X-Men fans. I don't care what he was writing - that's way over the top.)

A bit of history: (feel free to skip to the next paragraph) I started reading comics during the mid-80's "comic renaissance" and those books were dark, moody, with characters that were flawed and fractured. If they wore tights it was because they had deep seated emotional problems. I never liked Marvel superhero books - they felt cheesy to me with improbable dialog and situations. I didn't read a single superhero comic until after 2001.

All this is to say that I hung out with Chuck Austin a lot of San Diego Comic Con and later had limited email correspondence. We were all eating lunch and I asked him how he felt about The Draco and the response from Nightcrawler fans. It was 5 years ago, but here is what I basically remember:

- He'd originally written it as a longer series and it was cut short by 2 - 3 issues.
- He was pissed about the switching artists at the end because it ruined the flow of the story.
- He was pissed about the first artist's incorrect rendering of the characters (such as giving Nightcrawler pupils and drawing Abyss with a nose that the colorist had to remove in post)
- He had intended to make it more clear that Azazel wasn't actually Satan, but the (apparently immortal) mutant guy that caused people to believe in Satan back in ancient times.
- He felt like editorial really stepped all over his story.
- The blue winged "Jillian" character was named and characterized after one of the original Nightscrawlers Admins.
- Austin really does have a total gutter mind and really loved all the nudity and raunchy comments he could get into a comic.

I got the impression that Austin really wanted to write a good Nightcrawler backstory retcon and was pretty bummed about how the whole thing turned out. We all consoled him agreeing that yeah it was fucked up and we would have liked an awesome Nightcrawler book too. It was a nice lunch.

In hindsight, I think Austin did shitty research and expected too much of his fans. First, all of the religious references in his books are very pro-atheist and when they do refer to specific denominations of Christianity are generally incorrect. A little bit of research could have solved that and it would have been smart for him to realize that Nightcrawler's Catholic fans are generally very attached to the character as "one of their own". By his haphazard writing and shoddy research, he alienated a pretty vocal group of people in a place where they are passionate. I suspect that even with the atheist leanings, a demonstration of a reasonable understanding of the difference between Roman Catholicsm (Kennedy) and Evangelical Christianity (Bush) would have gone a long way.

I also think Marvel editorial gave him WAY too much leeway with the retconning. He retconned multiple character storylines and it seems that that was what really pissed everyone off. I think retconning is risky overall and often it just confuses and angers people. I think what the writers of the new Star Trek movie did with their retcon is an example of it done correctly - they kept everyone's beloved characters and tweaked the story just enough to allow for a new series of Star Trek movies about the original Enterprise without having to resort to all that cheesy cardboard set technology. Austin's retcons were massive story and character overhauls. I think if you're going to do this, a writer has to tread carefully and do their homework. Austin didn't do either and ... people saw that.

I think that newsrama post sums up very well an enumeration of the many ways Austin managed to alienate pretty much every single fan of Uncanny. I might have been offended too if I hadn't met him and found him to be a nice guy. He seemed genuinely perplexed by the general ire over what he was writing and yet by the time "She Lies with Angels" came out, I could see everybody's point.

Austin later went on to write some independent and adult titles which I think was a better audience for his sense of humor and overall sensibility.

-e
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Thank you Saint Kurt! That explains a lot.

If Mr. Austin's Draco Arc story had been of the "What If...." genre, I would have had no problem with it, as it would not have been canon.

The Holy Arc story, on the other hand, was personally offensive to me, as a conservative Christian, and I don't like being called a racist. Considering my mixed-racial background, it is a little silly. It seemed to me that he generalized and made many false assumptions.

[Edited on 2/9/09 by neling4]
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Saint Kurt wrote: Though it is pretty much ancient history now, the founding Nightscrawlers administrators (which doesn't include me) were good friends with Chuck Austin and so during the time that Austin was writing X-Men, this was one of the few staunch pro-Austin comic sites on the web.
Well... kinda. At least one awesome poster got banned for Austen-bashing, but the chatroom was a gossip-ridden free-for-all and you could say pretty much anything you liked. Those were the days!!

His "adult" stories were actually not good either. I'm guessing SK didn't read them but the one he wrote after X-Men BOMBED HARD and was canceled quickly. It must be tough to want to write stories when you have such a limited grasp on the depths of human nature. The superhero sex comic he wrote after X-Men had the same maturity level as the sex comic he wrote in college, so of course it came off as even stupider because they were supposed to be adults and not college students living in a world without AIDS.
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

Thanks SK!
When I rant and rave about how bad a story arc or book or movie is I think in the back of my mind how I would feel if it were my story....especially if I really loved the characters and thought I was doing a good job.

But bad writing is bad writing. A bad story is a bad story.I never understood why a director would rather get the rights to a popular novel and "make it his own" and end up with a flop, instead of just writing something original and making his own movie.
Some people are really good at working with other people's creations. Some aren't. Though I haven't read any of Austen's work except for Marvel, I always thought he'd do better making up his own characters than taking ones already established.

I'm glad to hear he's a nice guy. Asmus seemed nice too. I hate to criticize people's work....but I guess when you write for a comic (or a long running tv drama, etc), you put yourself out there to be judged....especially when beloved characters are involved. I try to keep reminding myself to judge the work (or lack of it)....not the person (unless of course he/she's a complete jerk that hates everything and everybody).
I don't hate Austen. I just wish he'd done the research and hadn't retconned what he had. I'm still going to write the letter.

One day when I'm a famous writer, I'm going to have to suck it up when I read the posts that say...."that was the stupidest book I ever read! What an idiot!" Then all the writers I've ever criticized through out the years will be laughing and enjoying their sweet revenge.:D
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Jeremus wrote:
One day when I'm a famous writer, I'm going to have to suck it up when I read the posts that say...."that was the stupidest book I ever read! What an idiot!" Then all the writers I've ever criticized through out the years will be laughing and enjoying their sweet revenge.:D
lol. That's gonna be me, too. Dang. Why do these people hate my book so much, I worked so hard on it!

But you've gotta do your research. I'm writing a whole alternate reality for the X-Men right now, as a fanfiction. I really, really want to write the story for the Magneto of my world... but I also really want him to be connected to the Holocaust. So I'm doing as much research as I can, trying to figure out exactly what it would've been like for him. The more I find out, the more horrified I am, but the more determined I am to see it through and write it.

I know I'm gonna screw something up... but I'm gonna try not to.

I don't really care about the writers themselves. I've met an incredibly funny, helpful and friendly published author who is actually kind of popular, but his books were crap. I've also met an old, timid lady who didn't seem like she'd be up to writing a letter, much less a full story, but she did and it's one of my most beloved children's books. I could care less about the writer; what I care about is the story.
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

Yeah....I'm trying to write something for the Summer Movie Challenge. And I don't know if I'll be able to get through with it....but there will be holes, holes, and more holes in the story. I'm doing as much research as I can, but I think it will be riding the express vortex of doom straight to Limbo....if I ever post it.
(It may be fun to read anyway...as long as people ignore the gaping holes.:rolleyes)
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Does anyone know what the "letters page" is? I was told by my insider informant at Marvel that we should direct our letters to someone on the letters page, but I can't find one in any of my newer books. I don't think there has been one since the 90's. I thought maybe it was something other than the letters page that I remember.

I'm still trying to drum up more people for our cause, since the more letters, the greater effect.

When do you Bamfers think we should start sending off our letters?

The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Angelique wrote:Austen or Casey did it.'
I remember him reading Origin of the Species, but he only said it was "bedtime reading" or something.

The letters page is exactly what it's always been, except now it's only included a couple times a year instead of every issue. I don't bother to read them, so I'm not sure. You do still see them sometimes though.
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

neling4 wrote: When do you Bamfers think we should start sending off our letters?
We should send them, wherever we come from, so that our letter will arrive in Marvel's box office sometime within two or three days on Nightcrawler's birthday. November 11, right?
~Def.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

The Drastic Spastic wrote: The letters page is exactly what it's always been, except now it's only included a couple times a year instead of every issue. I don't bother to read them, so I'm not sure. You do still see them sometimes though.
Thanks Drastic Spastic! I'll look through all my more recent books and see if I can find it.
Dedicatedfollower467 wrote:
neling4 wrote: When do you Bamfers think we should start sending off our letters?
We should send them, wherever we come from, so that our letter will arrive in Marvel's box office sometime within two or three days on Nightcrawler's birthday. November 11, right?
That was my idea, if everyone agrees. It gives us plenty of time to round up as many people as possible, and polish up our letters.

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

No, it was not Kurt's reading "On the Origin of the Species" that was the problem. It was Kurt whining to Father Whitney something about him studying to be a priest when he's living proof of evolution. That made me cringe because any writer who knows Catholicism and the differences between it and Christian Fundamentalism would know that the Catholic Church has no problem with the theory of evolution.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
BrittanyGritty
Lubber
Lubber

Post by BrittanyGritty »

Hiya, thanks for the link. Now I'm here! YAY! :D
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Welcome to B.A.A.D.D. headquarters Brittany! :)

The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Angelique wrote:No, it was not Kurt's reading "On the Origin of the Species" that was the problem. It was Kurt whining to Father Whitney something about him studying to be a priest when he's living proof of evolution. That made me cringe because any writer who knows Catholicism and the differences between it and Christian Fundamentalism would know that the Catholic Church has no problem with the theory of evolution.
Legit sources generally agree with the idea that the Catholic Church accepts evolution... sort of.

But ahahahaha, oh the Daily Mail can always brighten my day. It's like it exists in an alternate universe...
BrittanyGritty
Lubber
Lubber

Post by BrittanyGritty »

neling4 wrote:Welcome to B.A.A.D.D. headquarters Brittany! :)
Thank ya, very very much!

Monday I will be able to start posting more and such.

So you will hear more from me then.

Thanks for telling me 'bout this site. :D
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

You are welcome! :)

I found this article at CBR today:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=23092

Good for Roger Stern! :kiss

Of course, most of us already knew all of this, but I thought it was interesting that this article shows up just as we are revving up our B.A.A.D.D. cause.

The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

neling4 wrote:You are welcome! :)

I found this article at CBR today:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=23092

Good for Roger Stern! :kiss
He did it to protect his own characters, not because of any ideas about what Nightcrawler's origin should be.

I do prefer the "just normal people" as his parental origin because it makes mutants creepier and more real. Kind of liked where Evolution was going too with the infant experimentation plot. Hooray for science!

I've grown to prefer science-fictiony stuff to fantasy as I've gotten older, and the whole demon origin thing has gotten really tiresome. Not only because the excessive religious posturing of the last couple years could be chalked up to over-compensation, but aside from that, it's not at all original. Half demon? Seen it SO MANY TIMES, let's try something else. (And no, rewriting historical myth so that demons are really super-human mutants is not original.)
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Yeah, REGULAR PARENTS PLEASE! Erik Wagner was a good move... some random guy nobody knew anything about but who was obviously HUMAN. Demons are incredibly LAME.

Even if you rewrite the world so that they're actually ancient mutants. :rolleyes Puh-leeez. Does that make Mephisto "just an ancient mutant?" That would totally ruin THAT character as well. Bring back Eric Wagner! Or you could use just some other random German dude, that'd be cool too!

Heck, I'd even be happy with "Destiny is his Mommy, Mystique is his Daddy." At least they're not stupid DEMONS. Basically, ANYBODY is better than Azazel. Except Mephisto or another demon. Like, really anybody. The BLOB could be his dad, and I'd be okay with it. APOCALYPSE could be his dad. LOGAN could be his dad. ANYBODY! DO YOU HEAR? ANYBODY IS BETTER THAN DEMONS!!!

Sorry, I went a little overboard there. I honestly can't think of anybody worse than Azazel or another demon, though. You find one, you tell me, okay?
~Def.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

If his dad was a fallen angel and he's being punished for his father's sins. That would be stupider.

Or if he was grown in a lab and actually has no parents. (And is therefore not a mutant at all.)

Or if he was the product of a super-intelligent alien having a dirty affair with a non-sentient life form who dumped him on earth out of shame.

Um... I can't think of any more right now. Forgot to take MY PILLS over the weekend and I'm still a little slow. I'm sure there are lots and lots of other, equally retarded (or equally AWESOME depending on your point of view) possibilities. Anyone? I know we got some creative people around here!
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

The Drastic Spastic wrote:If his dad was a fallen angel and he's being punished for his father's sins. That would be stupider.

Or if he was grown in a lab and actually has no parents. (And is therefore not a mutant at all.)

Or if he was the product of a super-intelligent alien having a dirty affair with a non-sentient life form who dumped him on earth out of shame.
Okay, okay yes, that would indeed be worse than Azazel. Any of those. Those would be bad.

But technically even if he was grown in a lab, there'd be donor egg and sperm, right? So, kinda, in a way... his dad would be an orangutang, though.

Change my mind. ORANGUTANG DAD would be a lot worse than Azazel.
~Def.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

oopsie ... my current take (subject to change) is test tube baby with Mystique as egg donor/incubator. And my friend has one going involving space aliens.

Chacun a son gout I guess.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."