Nightcrawler: Introvert or Extrovert?

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!

Total votes: 0

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

I keep wondering ... is Kurt Wagner an introvert or an extrovert in the Meyers-Briggs-y sense?

On the one hand, he's gregarious, loves to charm people, center of attention, warm-hearted, etc., etc.

But there's what I think of as the "moody German" side, the part which, due to his past, has him slinking in shadows, doubts himself at times, wonders if people really love him, sneaks off for those moments of introspective solitude.

Perhaps a poll is in order. (Perhaps I don't actually have too much time on my hands, but unfortunately waste some of the time I do have.) You can vote based on any official Marvel version (and they are legion, which may cause a huge disparity of answers): canon Uncanny or Ultimate, Evo, X-2, TAS, wherever else.

I'd like to see a few reasons or examples for each vote, but hey, you people all have lives, so no pressure. But if you vote "a bit of both," maybe leave a short post telling which is more dominant. I have my own idea, but want to see how others perceive him.

And you might want to mention your own type if you'd like. (Elfdame is introvert, all the way.)
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I think Kurt has a natural dispostition to be introverted, what with his physical attributes. Better to not be noticed than have everyone stare at you. But I think being a circus performer helped out alot, and he just came out of his shell in the X-Men. He can be open and fun without judgment of outward appearence. But he still gets nervous in big crowds. But he's predominantly extroverted. Just my thoughts...
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I picked a bit of both, but leaning only slightly more toward extroverted. As much as he likes to be a showman and pretty much lives to get out there and help people (with flair and a sense of humor whenever possible), the preference for solitude rather than the company of other people when in need of an emotional recharge is more typical of an introvert.

Me? I'm an extrovert, though barely.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

I think one of the wonderful things about Nightcrawler is that he is too complex and interesting a character to be easily categorized. That being said, I'm going to have to go with extrovert.

Just because someone is an extrovert doesn't mean they are always "on". Everyone has their days where they're either quieter or louder than normal. (And this is a good thing when it comes to characters!) Kurt has a lot of natural leadership abilities, and he genuinely enjoys entertaining others- which points to extroversion. Of course, one could argue that his desire to be a showman is a defense mechanism based on his appearance, but keep in mind- he grew up in the circus, that was where he spent his formative years. While he knew he was different, he was also cherished for those differences- it wasn't until he was older that he really became aware that other people might not like him for his looks.

And because no debate like this is complete without someone quoting Wiki :
"Extraverts (also spelled extroverts[1]) are gregarious, assertive, and generally seek out excitement. Introverts, in contrast, are more reserved, less outgoing, and less sociable. They are not necessarily asocial, but they tend to have smaller circles of friends, and are less likely to thrive on making new social contacts."

Kurt definitely falls into the first category. While his social contacts are limited because of... circumstances, he never takes long to warm up to people. Being an extrovert has more to do with how you deal with people (be it in a group or one on one) than being the center of attention.

I'm an extrovert- but not in the "LOOK AT ME" way. At a party, I'm not in the middle of it- rather- I go and find one or two people that are hanging out by the wall and start talking to them. Big crowd? No- but still extroverted behavior, because I'm reaching out.

(Plus- let's look at the rest of the X-men... with the exception of say... Bobby... who are the extroverts? )

[Edited on 3-10-2008 by the_lone_bamf]
Image Image
"Every living creature is unique-- it is a part of our charm."
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I honestly would not trust wiki on this, having taken the Myers Briggs test myself on a couple of occasions, and knowing full well what answers nearly got me pegged an introvert. There is a spectrum. It is possible for someone to prefer solitude when things are tough (as I do, and as it seems Kurt does to an even greater extent- even to the point of shutting people out) and dislike crowds (as I do rather intensely), and still, according to the test results, be an extrovert. However, such people score fewer "extrovert points" than those who have loads of friends, hate being alone, and find the company of other people energizing.

Then, of course, there is the X score, testing right smack in the middle of the spectrum.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

I guess I'm just not communicating my ideas properly because that's more or less what I was trying to express. I merely used wiki to complement the definition of what people think "extrovert" means.
Image Image
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

I'm certainly no expert on this subject, however, my feeling is that he is "a bit of both". He is both an extrovert and an introvert. He is naturally an extrovert, however certain circumstances and traumatic events, like his appearance and the death of Stefan, have caused him to behave on occasion, like an introvert.

[Edited on 4/10/08 by neling4]
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

An organizational psychologist came to Microsoft and administered the Meyers-Briggs test to our team to help with a re-org when I was in the operating systems group. (the idea was to set us up into "mini-teams" based on our personality types but it never really panned out.) I was classified as an E/INTJ* (I scored an exact 50/50 on the extrovert/introvert part of the test); both are very typical "management" type personalities which was good since I was a team lead.

I was surprised by the "extrovert" result - that I scored as high as I did to get my "double result", since I enjoy spending time alone and have pretty paralyzing performance anxiety. (One of the funniest manifestations of this is that I can't use a computer if people are looking over my shoulder. I freeze up simply for being "watched".) That was, I was surprised until I read how the Meyers-Briggs test characterized introverts vs. extroverts. In the Meyers-Briggs world, it has to do with whether you focus your thinking on the world outside of yourself, or concentrate on your own ideas (the world inside your head).

I really am split pretty evenly between the two. I am completely energized by teamwork and leadership, but at the same time I view myself as a member of the team with special responsibilities and higher accountability rather than in charge of the team.

I would say that while Nightcrawler has had a tendency to be a bit of a "brooder" in the comics, he seems to end up with leadership roles whether he wants them or not. Despite his past as a "freak" he still became a performer, spending time in the spotlight as a star of the show. Though he has ideas, he is a "man of action" and wears his philosophies on his sleeve where everybody can see and hear them. Rather than sit on his ideas, he has often left the group to go into battle alone and on impulse. When he leads, he doesn't just tell everyone where to go and what to do (like Cyclops does), he tries to get the team on board with him so they too share his reason for going into action.

I would say he is a classic (dare I say "textbook"?) Meyer's-Briggs extrovert. No question about it.

* from the Meyers-Briggs site link:
ENTJ: Frank, decisive, assume leadership readily. Quickly see illogical and inefficient procedures and policies, develop and implement comprehensive systems to solve organizational problems. Enjoy long-term planning and goal setting. Usually well informed, well read, enjoy expanding their knowledge and passing it on to others. Forceful in presenting their ideas.

INTJ: Have original minds and great drive for implementing their ideas and achieving their goals. Quickly see patterns in external events and develop long-range explanatory perspectives. When committed, organize a job and carry it through. Skeptical and independent, have high standards of competence and performance – for themselves and others.
I think anyone who knows me would say that the test characterized me quite accurately. As you can see, the "E" and "I" types have similar modes of operation regarding goals and achievement; the major difference lies in the generation of the drive to do so. I always felt that the 50/50 thing meant that I do both, but neither all the time and neither all that well. (Remember, to achieve breadth often means sacrificing depth.)

Interesting question Elfdame, thanks!

-e
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

He's an extrovert no question.

Just took an online test and got INTJ. Still introverted! It's incredibly accurate though. That's me!

Of course, I had a tarot reading last night and THAT was really accurate too. You see and hear what you want.

[Edited on 4-10-2008 by The Drastic Spastic]
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

I'm surprised at the amount of "J"s in this group. I would have thought we'd lean heavily to "P" types. Hmmmm...

(I am "J" almost all the way. As if that weren't obvious. )
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I'm a slight P, actually. I usually test ENFP, though just for fun yesterday I took the test and was shocked to see I tested as a slight introvert. I think the fact that I took the test after work when I'm especially tired of people in general might have explained the odd result, however.

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

here's a little interesting thing to know. You know you're an extrovert if you dont mind sour things like lemonade or even orange juice (without the sugar). Introverted people react more with sour tasts. Probably why I hate drinking orange juice in the morning and my sister likes it.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

That might explain why I like kumquats.

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

I have never heard that before about orange juice and lemonade. I love orange juice!

What about spicy foods? If I like spicy foods, am I an extrovert?
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

I've always run on the 'how do you recharge your batteries' way of testing a lot. Introverts like to recharge by curling up somewhere alone - few people or none. Extroverts like to go out and have fun with friends to feel better.

That's not a solid one either - but it helps give you an idea.

I think he's a bit of both frankly. Whenever he's really hurt he tends to solitude to recharge. But he's great and outgoing and loves to get around people too. So...both.
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

I tend to think of him as an introvert working hard at being an extrovert.
the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

I've taken Myers-briggs a few times, I'm as touchy feely as you can get. ENFP. XD

Would it be fair to say to recharge I like to curl up with my friends? Haha... well not literally, but my idea of a good time is getting a few people together- eating (at home or out if we have money) and watching movies or playing video games- but in general, doing things at home with close friends.

Like I said, I'm an extrovert- but you'd practically never catch me on the middle of a dance floor at a party. (And if I was out there, I'd be making a fool of myself...)

Edit: Also, when we're trying to equate his appearances into the mix- It doesn't seem that he is ashamed or embarrassed at all. Admittedly, he's aware than not everyone is accepting (and hurt when things go poorly) - but at times he seems to almost forget. (Like in the solo series- when he goes to see the young boy in the hospital without an image inducer, right off the bat.)

But in general, I think he embraces his differences. I forget the comic reference, but when was it that he lost his abilities- and looked "normal", and THEN he spent time brooding and battling a danger room version of himself?

[Edited on 6-10-2008 by the_lone_bamf]
Image Image
Kastor
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Kastor »

I'm an INFP, but boardering on the E side. I can be loud and animated one second, then quiet and reflective the next :hang So I guess I'm an outgoing introvert, but still shy? Well, personality isn't just a black/white kind of thing, of course :P

I'd say he's either a chill extrovert or an outgoing introvert :shrug Maybe in the middle?
It's especially hard to tell with fictional characters at times : /

I'm involved in an MBTI forum, actually.
SimilarMinds.com, you may have heard of it :]

[Edited on 20/10/08 by Kastor]