Should they make a movie around nightcrawlers story?

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I'd love to see an animated :ultimate story! Like paws (was it paws?) already said, there's too many character changes in canon and if we could get a straight up single character story, it would work. Ultimate Kurt has a lot of interesting back story and it'd be a nice new twist to the story, so we'd gain new fans as well as retain the old ones because it's still, inarguably, Kurt.

As for non-fuzzy kurt, doesn't work. X-2 was flawed to the core because they had a non-athletic (or non-gymnast) built dude playing Kurt with radical crazed tattoos and no fur. It was just too much. To bring it back down to origins would be cool. Hell, even just the original Cockrum story with some, as mikey puts it, "stylization" to update it, it'd be awesome!
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

I liked Cumming as Kurt- *ducks*. But the make-up was not ideal. I can understand why they did it that way though, fur is very hard to pull off in prosthetic make-up. Also, how furry should he be exactly? Defenitely not Beast-furry.
Personally I think anything with Kurt solo will never work, because he needs the other X-men, and especially Wolverine, to react to. He's too much of a non-agressive nice guy to be very interesting on his own; the mini series they did were fun but ultimately unsuccesful for that reason. But anyway, it's not like that is ever going to be a solo Nightcrawler series animated or otherwise...
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

Arr, goodness no, not Hank fuzzy, just normal short velvet furry. You won't see the fur unless you look close or feel the blue lubber. Yarr.
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

I just had a brilliant idea! They should use flocking! LOL. It's a crafty sort of thing. Make it blue and able to stick and voila!!

An example of the fuzz of flocking.
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Okay, first we hire St. Kurt to make a velveteen Crawler outfit. Then Steyn and I write the script (no Ultimates for me, though. You can write your own script for that). THEN we call Rob Reiner.

Whew. Glad it's all settled.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

LMAO, Paws!

What kills me is we had this exact same conversation in 2002 on the Monument.

A quote from my younger self:
As for the furry make up, I think they won't bother because it won't matter. We probably won't see him in extreme close up where you would his skin in detail, and remember he's just fuzzy like a peach or short-nap velvet. If he were real and you were standing across the room from him I doubt you could tell he was furry. I think if he was "mystique blue" that would be fine, but Mystique aside from the scales was slightly glossy if I recall right. She looked *so* painted because she had a bit of a sheen. They just need to make Kurt a little darker and with a complete matte finish. The velvet finish would give the illusion of fur, and those who know Kurt would see it as such. Just like in X-1 with Logan, they could give a run-down on his powers for non-comic geeks and mention in passing that he was covered with short fur. I'll bet they'll mention the fur and use it as the reason he can become invisible, because I doubt they'll get into the Darkforce Dimension stuff in the movie -- it's just too confusing.

Either that or they'll tell Alan Cumming to close his eyes reeeeaalll tight and shoot him with a flocking gun.
;^)
Kurts Hurt77
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Kurts Hurt77 »

well I was thinking we start from the time he was born,we include the whole misconception of stephan in there,show a little bit of him from X2 & then him leaving so he can join exiles,well when I said 'around nightcrawlers story' I sorta ment from when he was just a little cute blue thing all the way up to his daughter Nocturne.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

no, I looked up this flock, but it doesn't look right, unless Kurt's short fur suddenly went pubic and curled.
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

Post by littlebamf »

Well that's a very long timespan, films usually don't cover years unless it's for a very good reason, and a comic character's entire history wouldn't really come under that.

Also, Kurt never was in Exiles and technically Nocturne is his daughter from another reality, which is just highly complicating the whole matter. Things are usually better done simply, with a straightforward storyline.
Kurts Hurt77
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Kurts Hurt77 »

well like i said before.what about multiple movies?
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Mulitiple movies! Like Star Wars. Yeah, keep me in scriptwriting cash for a decade. Sign me up; count me in. ;-)

On the fur thing (I know, I'm obsessing) -- I wonder, what did they use for Perlman in "Beauty & the Beast?"
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

long hairs and a lot of prosthetics?
InterNutter
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by InterNutter »

They didn't actually use a lot of fur for the Vincent makeup. IIRC, they put fuzz on the nose and some stubble but that was about it.

Check out the Jean Cocteu version of _Beauty and the Beast_. The makeup was, in essence, a facial *wig*, but it was effective face fur. Technology of the time of the making meant facial movement was... limited... but I'm sure technology has beaten that problem since.

...though if you want to make it visually interesting for the big screen, I'd add faint tabby-esque stripes. And possibly pull lighting tricks to make him look perpetually in shadow.
The one and only InterNutter (as seen on FFN and NFN)
http://www.internutter.org
http://www.nutfiction.net <---Nutfiction.net! *THE* place to host fanfic [Now back online! Huzzah!]
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

I keep telling you alll, CG is the way to go. Just make up the actor in a dark blue, closest to the fur color, and do the shininess of fur afterwards in postproduction. Even add the eyeshine. From there you make him blend in the shadows too. and if you do a closeup on his skin, then add the detailed fur! and best of all, seeing that he's already blue, it'll be easier on the cg-artist to add the effects, because of the blue! Anyone confused on that, think of blue/green screens. Those things they use to be later replaced with whatever is needed in post production.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Totally right, Internutter & Steyn. And good point about him being in shadows: "lighting" (real or cgi) can do a lot for that aspect of The Fuzzy Dude; an outline barely moving followed by tight shots of his face, etc would give a lot of depth, visually and character-wise.

I like Cocteau's film (for the most part). Very evocative of the Beast's hidden character vs. society's glitz.

Okay, sorry to have hijacked this into a fur-bearing thread.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.