Persepolis - I hope this film does well in the U.S.

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

This Film titled Persepolis, looks like not only a groundbreaking film but a tragic and even uplifting story of women, islamic fundamentalism, and escapism. I truly, truly believe this film could reach and touch so many people but those awards it earned won't impress the hundreds of thousands of people who will never understand, and say "if I have to read it, I don't need it." or "if bruce willis isn't strangling someone with christmas lights, it's not going to be good."

I am so intrigued and even touched by just this trailer alone, that I think I will have to make it a point to travel to the nearest theater playing this film just to see it, and in Ri that's not anywhere close. Everything from the artwork to the story here looks like it is going to be a shockingly new look at a world we as Americans don't always grasp. (and one we should be more open minded to)

What do you guys think?
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Dusty Bits

Post by wingyding »

Interesting, for sure, but I'm siding with whoever said your second quote there. "If Bruce Willis isn't strangling someone with Christmas lights, it's not going to be good. "
I'm at the movies for fun, not for an education. Now, that doesn't mean I'm going to avoid everything that's not inanely stupid--read into that, has Will Ferrel or Jon Heder in it--but if I wanted to be touched and moved by something, I'd go watch Lord of the Rings again.
Really, I think most people in the states that are going to go watch a movie this time of year aren't going to want to watch something on a culture that's not ours. That's why Kingdom of Heaven nearly flopped at the box office.

But that doesn't mean we don't understand struggles, and it doesn't mean we're stupid. But motion picture theatres are generally a way for us to escape from life, not have it's terrible points presented to us in a cartoon. You should probably watch the way you word that point if you don't want to alienate people too soon.
Neither Love nor Evil conquers all, but Evil cheats more.
Important Lessons Learned from the X-Men: Never give indestructible metal claws to something that doesn't die when you shoot it in the head.
Ferguson
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Fergie the Unjust

Post by Ferguson »

I've been looking forward to this movie and have resigned myself to the sad fact that I'm probably going to have to have a roadtrip to see it. I've also been meaning to ask if anyone has ever seen the graphic novels? I've been meaning to get my hands on them for some time but I'm not exactly near any good bookstores.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

I probably won't watch it, give me bruce willis and xmas lights anytime.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Looks quite uninteresting.
Surely it's a good movie, but the drawing style and animation were not very good.
Might rent it though.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I might get to see it, right here in Nowheresville, Wydahoming, USA. Our local Friends of Film society will bring it in one way or another.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I think the art style, being so simple, is what makes it so great. It doesn't have to be complex or modernized to be good y'know.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Post by Starfish »

I'm very interested in this movie and I've seen the trailer several times now on TV here. The style looks certainly fascinating and had me hooked immediately. However, I have no idea if it'll be played in a theatre near me. But we have several arthouse movie theatres in our town, so I still have hope to see it there.
"The secondary penis slides into view. And they all lived happily ever after."
Kieron Gillen
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Originally posted by Ult_Sm86
. It doesn't have to be complex or modernized to be good y'know.

Oh really?

I still think it's ugly and I don't want to see it because I don't like the drawing style.

Although it doesn't have to be complex and modernized it doesn't have to be ugly and simplified either.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

ouch. man i'm just saying, that's all.