Speed Racer on The Big Screen

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So are we For or Against?

I think it looks like a good idea, but it also has a lot potential to go very wrong. That said...

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK!!!

and don't even say :whocares 'cuz I know if there's a comic-forum, there's old-school toon nerds on it. SOMEBODY here besides me has to be sh*tting bricks for this, the soon release of G.I. Joe, and the plausible script for Green Hornet (thank you Kevin Smith)
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Until proven otherwise, I am going to be a believer.

Without going too much into the whole "I grew up without a television" thing, let's just say that even though there wasn't a television in my house there were televisions in my friends' houses and if I showed up at various friends' houses at particular times I could watch television with them. (This was in the 70s, when the television wasn't simply left on at all times. People watched their shows and turned them off back then. You had to wear a watch if you wanted to mooch tv off your friends...) In the first and 2nd grade, if I showed up at my neighbor's house at exactly 3pm on weekdays, Speed Racer was on. It was, in my opinion, the best thing ever and totally worth hanging out with the biggest asshat in the school for a half hour for.

Many years later, living in Washington, I had the fantastic license plate "MACH 5" for my Miata Mx-5.

Before that, while I was in college I took the lyrics to the Speed Racer song and turned them into a piece for Chorus and Orchestra that was premiered in New York City and played again in Aspen Co. (it still makes me laugh when I hear it. No one else did though...)

I saw the picture of the movie Mach 5 and had to change my pants.

Not to mention: Wachoski Borthers.

But it is true; a lot can go wrong.

-e
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

trunk-monkey already went on a biting spree.

:monkey

Okay so here it is, the new trailer is in! WACHOWSKI! :worship

for NON-HD compatible computers you guys get this

[Edited on 7/12/07 by Ult_Sm86]
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I saw the trailer... And I must say, it will be nothing like the cartoon. I don't know if it will live up to it's name.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

Nothing like the cartoon? All the characters are there, even Speed's brother the Mysterious Racer X who is in disguise! There's the helicopter, the monkey, hell, a car even spins out before crashing and exploding off the course.

Now, maybe I'm remembering the cartoon wrong, but this seems to be spot on for me.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

took the words right out of my mouth man. And best thing is it's ANIMATED man, i mean it's NOT but it's done with green screen so taht opens SO MANY MORE DOORS!!
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Originally posted by Ult_Sm86
took the words right out of my mouth man. And best thing is it's ANIMATED man, i mean it's NOT but it's done with green screen so taht opens SO MANY MORE DOORS!!
It's CGI (Computer-generated imagery) and just because they decide to use it, it doesn't automatically mean that its a good thing. I mean of course it's nice that they use CGI effects, but filming the whole movie on greenscreen is just well...

George Lucas did it with Star Wars I, II and III. And look what happened.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

George Lucas is also an idiot and being a film major I can list about 8 major mistakes he made with those films that don't involve the green screen.

Green Screen is a great idea, look what it did for 300 or Sin City. And The Spirit even is being filmed that way. It's really the only way I think Speed Racer could be done so they can still capture the hoakey behavior of the characters but still keep the suspense of the show.