Comix for Gurlz? Come for the Cooties. Stay for the Comics

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Given the preponderance of female comic book fans on this forum, I can't believe this has never been mentioned.

"Friends of Lulu" is a group dedicated to the cause of advancing both comic genres for women as well as promoting the careers of female comics creators.

Given how often the "You're a girl who likes comic books!?" question is still asked, it's incredible how much material is already out there and how many female creators there are in all genres.

Their list of recommended reading will keep any comics fan interesting in reading "outside the Y Chromosome box" busy for decades. It includes not only comic titles, but books about the medium, many of which are already on my shelves and a few that I plan to look for.

Their A-Z of "Women Doing Comics" is equally long.

Another site with a similar mission is Girlamatic.com. They feature web comics by women creators with both a free "Cafe" and a subscriber "Salon" as well as downloadable comics.

Both of these groups recognise that the love of comics starts at an early age and cater not only to mature audiences, but the under 18 crowd as well.

And finally, the granddaddy of them all: SequentialTart is a webzine that's been around forever. Like a feminist CBR, they provide reviews, previews, interviews, and information about the industry from a distinctly female (and funny) perspective. They also have the fairly active "Tartsville" message board if you feel like talking.

Their reviews of X-Men comics, for instance, are quite thorough and also include sections on: Best Ad, Best (read: silliest) Line, and Pointless Logan Pandering ("Add to that a berserker fury that gives him the fighting prowess of a score of heroes, and it's no wonder that even these emotionless robots respect — and almost fear — him." Guess who wrote that for extra gurl points!).

There are more but, these should get you started. And, it's fun to discover new ones as you look through. Links abound on all these sites.

-e

[size=-2]Answer: If you didn't guess Chris Claremont, you should be put to shame.[/size]
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

Just today in another forum, someone said "Girls don't read Marvel comics," and I pointed and laughed.

Lol, I had no idea there were so many sites like those. Cool, I think. ;)
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young