Internet Dictionary of Unique Terms (in reference to canon)

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
stupidusername
Lubber
Lubber

Post by stupidusername »

Okay, so I was reading the old X3 board and came across a term I had never heard before ( character rape) but I thought was quite appropriate to what we were talking about. It got me wondering... how many more of such terms are out there? I have one of my own and I thought it you would like to share, we could begin a dictionary of sorts.

character rape when a writer violates a character by either misusing or misrepresenting a given character in comparison with established history.

plot-blending a term used to describe the inexplictable "power" that Nightcrawler seems to have that allows him to blend into the background during major story arcs. it is a play on the "shadow-blending" ability that Nightcrawler actually has which allows him to blend into areas of shadowy darkness.

[Edited on 15/7/07 by fourpawsonthefloor]
"It's nice to know I'm not the only one with a wealth of worthless knowledge" Huey Freeman
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Nightcrawler can't be the only character with that power. We just notice because we are looking for it... right?
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

character rape when a writer violates a character by either misusing or misrepresenting a given character in comparison with established history.
Ok...I'm confused. Does this mean that all AU's even if labeled as such are character rape? And even if so, including non labeled AU's...I'd say at LEAST 60% of all fanfic is 'character rape'. I guess it all depends on a person's perspective, but I've always kinda thought that fan fic was for verging off the beaten path just a bit, even though a lot of it I wouldn't read. LOL

And Betsy had that shadow thing...does that count?

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

And Betsy had that shadow thing...does that count?
No, because she is always at the center of major plots she is included in. I thought these were canon terms. Maybe this doesn't belong in the fanfic section of the board?
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Post by JSherlock »

Well, In general, fanfiction all ready has its own lingo:

Fanfiction Terminology This is not a complete list. Character rape is usually when someone screws up the characterization badly.

I moved this thread from Nightcrawler since this focussed more on fanfiction, than the character.

[Edited on 15/7/2007 by JSherlock]
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

This thread should go in Non-NC Comics if it goes anywhere, it's about popular terms used in comics discussions not fanfic.

I'm just piqued cause I was sort of looking forward to a potential discussion of the real thing. There is NOTHING in the original post about fanfic. For one, I've never seen "major story arcs" used in reference to fanfic. And who even cares about character rape if it's only fanfic? :P
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Ahhh. Ok. I thought we were talking fan fic here.

Alright. So if its canon, then who determines character rape? I mean, I KNOW that we all have our own opinions of the matter, but who calls it and who doesn't? What one person sees as an interesting development, can be judged as horribly by others. A prime Kurt example, of course, is the whole priest thing.

So what do you guys think?
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I don't know anyone who disagrees on the priest thing being terrible. Whether people think it was just a stupid idea period, or could have been good if it was handled better, it's pretty much unanimous that the story itself sucked. Not sure if that would count as "rape" though. It was handled badly, does that equal rape? I'd count it.

I do know a lot of things that I would consider to be excellent ideas that most people say nooo nooo nooo. I'd ultimately think that "rape" would be anything unbelievable, anything that goes against what you would expect of the character based on history, personality, circumstances, etc. The priest thing could have been believable if they'd maybe led up to it somehow, but they decided to toss a six month gap in there out of sheer retarded laziness so they would never ever have to explain any of the bizarre crap they dumped on the characters.
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

Of course, Austen is just a sucky writer in general. I was reading the "Exiles visit Earth 616 for the first time" story he wrote, and I kept thinking "except for the suggestive jokes, this could be a kids' TV show." His stories are half-baked and seriously OOC. I can't think of a single major character whom he followed the general personality mold for. Iceman, maybe. Wolverine, maybe. Nobody else. Heavens... even Jean seemed off to me.

He messed with characters for the sole reason of creating a plot. NOT moving the plot forward - just concocting one. I would say that counts as character rape, because he wasn't trying to develop the characters so much as use them as plot devices. As Paws said, we all have different interpretations of the characters, but let me put it this way: If Homer Simpson suddenly started talking like a rocket scientist every episode, or if Dr. House started bursting into tears every time someone mentioned Stacy, we could all agree that would be OOC, yes? And in Austen's case, I think there wouldn't be much dissent that his versions of the characters didn't coincide with ANYBODY else's.

(That said, I still liked that he drew Warren and Paige together, though there's no reason to believe they're *still* together, as Husk hasn't been seen since and Angel only barely.)
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young