lol, reviews! 2/21/07

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

lol, reviews! 2/21/07

Post by idsunki »

Welcome to another exciting edition of ...

lol, reviews!

52 Week 42 (DC) - Ralph Dibny comes face to face with his true mentor, and a desperate gambit is waged. Renee Montoya comes face to face with herself and finds that her answer is a question. One story begins as another ends, and next week comes the Marvel Family Feud. They've done a really good job of pulling all the threads together, and they're starting to all make sense.

Amazing Spider-Man 538 (Marvel) - Why is Spider-Man 'Back in Black'? Find out the answer on the last page of this one. You can read this before reading Civil War this week, as it doesn't spoil the ending... but why? Read Civil War #7 first out of anything!

Battle Pope 13 (Image) - It's Battle Pope vs. God in a fistfight across heaven. Why? Mary.
Don't read this if you're under 18 or offended by horrible, horrible sacrilege. If you're like me and neither of those, buy every issue of this, or track down the trades.

Brave and the Bold 1 (DC) - Green Lantern and Batman team up to try and solve a murder case... 63 identical men, with 63 identical wounds, in 63 different places on (and off) the globe. You'll probably dig this if you're a DC fan.

Cable and Deadpool 37 (Marvel) - No mention of Cable whatsoever in this issue, which is fine and dandy with me. This issue, mini-Wade Wilson vs. The Rhino. Next issue, still no sign of Cable, and Agent X appears! Definitely worth picking up if you like Deadpool.

Catwoman 64 (DC) - This title has always held a special place in my heart, since it started not too long after I started working at the comic shop. And it's at issue 64 already. My, how the time has flewn.
Anyway, this issue we find Selina putting the costume back on (with a nice shot of her zipping up the front...) to steal Lex Luthor's snow globe for her friend the Calculator. And by friend I mean business associate. Oh, and possible time travel alert. Fun stuff!

Civil War 7 (Marvel) - The last of the Civil War series finally arrives. Was it worth the wait? Can't say I cared when I saw that last fight scene. No, all that build up wasn't for nothing. Hero vs. Hero, villains taking the opportunity to get in on some of the action themselves. Spider-Man kicks Mr. Fantastic in the throat after finishing up about five other guys in about two seconds. The Invisible Woman flattens Taskmaster with a glance. Iron Man backhands the Human Torch after a failed sneak attack. There are boots to heads and fists to faces, so just go buy it already.

DMZ 16 (DC/Vertigo) - Matty gets into more trouble as his cover almost gets blown, and he learns a few new connections in the grand scheme of it all. It does present an interesting question though - with all the foreign military presence the US has, if it was in a poor situation like in this book, how would it react to foreign troops on American soil?

Hellblazer 229 (DC/Vertigo) - Mike Carey (currently on X-Men, formerly of Lucifer) gets a nice one-shot in. John Constantine follows a trail of connections - he's asked to do a favor, and to get that favor he has to do someone else a favor, and so forth. These are fun stories because you get to play along, try and follow the connections, and come up with the conclusion.

Invincible 39 (Image) - The truth about Shapesmith comes out, and we learn the secret history behind Mars's slave race. Also, Mark's relationship is on the rocks as he's called to fight off planet again, for who knows how long. Oh, and Atom Eve is coming to join the fight, and they certainly still have feelings for each other. One of my favorite soap operas out right now. Comics! I meant comics!

New Avengers Illuminati 2 (Marvel) - This issue - collecting the Infinity Gems. Reed Richards comes up with a plan to quietly and quickly collect the gems before a villain can. The rest of the Illuminati isn't so sure about this, but comes along anyway. Can a human really have that much power and still use it responsibly? Well, Spider-Man isn't on the team, so we'll just have to see if Reed's up to it.

PS238 20 (Dogooder Press) - An elementary school for kids with super powers, this issue gives a behind-the-scenes look at how the last arc with all the time travel really worked out. For instance, after you have that crazy adventure where your future self popped in a couple of times to drop off an important item or deliver a clue... now you get to go back and do that, or it wouldn't have happened. Thankfully, it's well written so it's not very confusing as it might seem.

She-Hulk 16 (Marvel) - She-Hulk teams up with Wolverine to bring down the Wendigo this issue, with SHIELD as back up on her second mission for them. She was being really flirty with our favorite mutant runt, commenting on how firm his butt is when about to give a fastball special. His response - "The first rule of the fastball special is that we don't talk about the fastball special!" Probably a bit defensive, as it's usually a guy throwing him. Anyway, very fun issue, and we get a sneak peek at PROJECT ACHILLES.

Silent War 2 (Marvel) - The fall out from Son of M continues. Black Bolt has a few heart to hearts, first with his insane brother in a dungeon cell, then with the Sentry in a remote locale where he is promised mutually assured destruction if he continues down his current path. Then they find out that there is another source on Earth with some of the terragen crystals - Quicksilver.

Superman 659 (DC) - An old religious woman mistakes Superman for an angel. After the second time he saves her life and captures the crook, she's convinced God has sent him to protect her. So she starts doing more and more to clean up her neighborhood, staring down crack dealers and marching into their dens. What happens if Superman can't save the day every time?

Ultimate Fantastic Four 39 (Marvel) - The debut of Ultimate Diablo, master alchemist! He kidnaps someone close to each of the four to make them come back to his time to face him. Should be a fun fight, don't you think?

Witchblade Manga 1 (Topcow) - So... you know the cliche that every Japanese school girl will be attacked by tentacled monsters? So does Topcow.

Wonder Woman 4 (DC) - A powerless Wonder Woman goes to face Circe with only Hercules at her side. Oh, and not only does Circe have all of Diana's powers, she has all of Donna Troy's, Wonder Girl's, and Hercules's powers too. But not to worry - WW still has an invisible jet!

X-Men First Class 6 (Marvel) - More mutant mayhem with this title. This time some skrulls are out to create some havok with this new mutant race by posing as the X-Men and committing some crimes. But when the young skrull soldiers see the X-Men out there fighting to save people, they become inspired to save the young mutants themselves. Their commanding officer isn't so happy about that though, and it looks like he's a bit of a familiar face...

That's that for this week, folks. You've been great, I've been amazing (spectacular), and a gold star for anyone who can get the literary allusion in this post.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

lol, reviews! 2/21/07

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

So Invincible is really good? I've had several people insist that yes, it is really good and the first... large pile of issues (which I read, and hated) were just a slow start.

Is the rest of it actually different from the first 8 issues or so?

I loled at the Superman 659 review. I need to know: does she save herself, or does she die?
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

lol, reviews! 2/21/07

Post by idsunki »

If you want spoilers for Invincible and why it is awesome, let me know and I will u2u them so as not to ruin the fun for everyone else.

As for Superman ... same deal. I try not to spoil anything in the reviews. Unless nobody cares. Alright people - speak up if you don't want spoilers in these reviews, otherwise I'm takin' off the kid gloves!
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.