Best comic I have ever read

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

The DOOM comic:

http://www.doomworld.com/10years/doomcomic/

"Rip and tear!"
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Croc, you are adorable.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
stupidusername
Lubber
Lubber

Post by stupidusername »

Best comic I have ever read was G.I. Joe #21- the "silent" issue. Snake-Eyes, Storm Shadow, Scarlett, Destro, and no dialogue, no thought bubbles, and no plot boxes. Just pictures. Larry Hama is a friggin' genius. I was then that I realize what masters these guys are at their craft. To be able to tell such an engaging story without any words is absolutely amazing. They never even announced it, they just did it. I kept waiting for someone to explain what was going on and they didn't. Not until the letters page. (where they explained that this was an experiment to see if they could do it)

Since then, the "silent" issue has been duplicated several times, most notably by G.I. Joe and by Amazing Spiderman. The second G.I. Joe was good, but not compared to the original. The Amazing Spiderman one was a different story.

The Amazing Spiderman issue#39, Nuff Said was a brilliant piece of art. The amount of story that John Romita, Jr. was able to put into that issue without any words was unbelievable. Then they had four pages at the end that explained just what the writer had in mind. It was like getting a cheat guide for the issue. It helped to explain some of images (like MJ only watching the TV when Spiderman was on) and reveal what goes on in plotting something like this. If it wasn't for the fact that the G.I.Joe issue was first and was the pioneer, I would have to say that Amazing Spiderman#39 is the best issue of all time.

I would like to see more of these "silent" issues.
"It's nice to know I'm not the only one with a wealth of worthless knowledge" Huey Freeman
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

Originally posted by stupidusername
Best comic I have ever read was G.I. Joe #21- the "silent" issue. Snake-Eyes, Storm Shadow, Scarlett, Destro, and no dialogue, no thought bubbles, and no plot boxes. Just pictures. Larry Hama is a friggin' genius. I was then that I realize what masters these guys are at their craft. To be able to tell such an engaging story without any words is absolutely amazing. They never even announced it, they just did it. I kept waiting for someone to explain what was going on and they didn't. Not until the letters page. (where they explained that this was an experiment to see if they could do it)

Since then, the "silent" issue has been duplicated several times, most notably by G.I. Joe and by Amazing Spiderman. The second G.I. Joe was good, but not compared to the original. The Amazing Spiderman one was a different story.

The Amazing Spiderman issue#39, Nuff Said was a brilliant piece of art. The amount of story that John Romita, Jr. was able to put into that issue without any words was unbelievable. Then they had four pages at the end that explained just what the writer had in mind. It was like getting a cheat guide for the issue. It helped to explain some of images (like MJ only watching the TV when Spiderman was on) and reveal what goes on in plotting something like this. If it wasn't for the fact that the G.I.Joe issue was first and was the pioneer, I would have to say that Amazing Spiderman#39 is the best issue of all time.

I would like to see more of these "silent" issues.

"Best comic I have ever read" was sarcasm. Obviously the doom comic is one of the worst comics ever created.

[Edited on 22/4/2007 by Crocodile Hunter]
stjohn
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: The Boggy Man

Post by stjohn »

and the Nuff said was a marvel wide thing ;) I personally loved the exiles one ;)
Stjohn: did i walk in on yall doing :shifty?
* Bobby covers Lorna's goodies and whistles innocently.
Lorna: You see nothing!
Stjohn: pay no attention to the couple under the covers?
Lorna: There is no couple, no covers, and, on a different note, no spoon.
Stjohn: I don't believe you. I'm holding a spoon right now.
Lorna: Well damn
stupidusername
Lubber
Lubber

Post by stupidusername »

Well, thanks for nothing, croc hunter. How was I supposed to know you were joking? I have never even played Doom, much less read a comic on it. (1st person shooters give me headaches) I did watch the movie, but it was lame, like a Resident Evil clone.

G.I. Joe #21 still is the best comic I have ever read. (stupid inside joke making me feel stupid and dumb and...)

Nuff said was Marvel-wide, eh?
Which issues of the X-titles were silent then?

I am now going to ignore the joke and pose the question, anyway: "What is YOUR favorite comic book issue of all time?" It is still a valid question.
"It's nice to know I'm not the only one with a wealth of worthless knowledge" Huey Freeman
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

Originally posted by stupidusername
I have never even played Doom, much less read a comic on it.
Maybe thats why I included the link.
Originally posted by Crocodile Hunter
The DOOM comic:

http://www.doomworld.com/10years/doomcomic/
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Originally posted by Crocodile Hunter
"Best comic I have ever read" was sarcasm. Obviously the doom comic is one of the worst comics ever created.
I want to start a new part of the board called "Croc Explains Sarcasm" because this made me laugh so hard. LOVE!
Originally posted by stjohn
and the Nuff said was a marvel wide thing ;) I personally loved the exiles one ;)
AGREED! That Exiles issue was fabbbbbulous. I didn't read a whole lot of the Nuff Said's from that month, but Exiles was the best of what I read....actually, the only thing I read other than that was the Gambit one from Xtreme which had me "WTF"ing through half of it.....seriously, WTF was going on? Ahh well..thats Claremont.

And best comic I have ever read? EXILES #16! (Doy, did you think it'd be any other??)
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

The issue of Peter Parker Spider-Man was the best Nuff Said.

He fights a gang of mimes.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.