lol, reviews! 2/7/07

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

lol, reviews! 2/7/07

Post by idsunki »

52 Week 40 (DC) - Steel and the Teen Titans vs. Lex Luthor and Infinity Inc. Oh yeah, and Luthor has super powers.

Bullet Points 4 (Marvel) - A fun alternate history with the Marvel universe. What was the effect of a bullet being fired one day too early? Will this new Marvel Universe be strong enough to take on ... Galactus?

Dark Tower The Gunslinger Born 1 (Marvel) - Stephen King's epic comes to comics. Peter David writes, Jae Lee draws. Even if you've never read one of King's Gunslinger books, pick this up. The story is easy to get into, the art is simply amazing, and there's some cool extras in the back too.

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man 17 (Marvel) - Pete's back in the black suit. Some hints as to why it happened, but no real answer yet. Sandman shows up, not to fight, but to get Parker's help in clearing his dad's name for the muder of ... Uncle Ben?

Ghost Rider Trail of Tears 1 (Marvel) - More by the same creative team of Road to Damnation. This is the story of an earlier Rider... from around the time of the Civil War (that'd be American history, not the current Marvel event). Looks interesting, though there are some inaccuracies in the weaponry being used ... but if you're not a history major, it shouldn't be an issue!

Incredible Hulk 103 (Marvel) - Holy crap. The wedding we've all been waiting for. Planet Hulk has been Marvel's best series since it started, and now it's starting to wind down. And by wind down I mean lead up to World War Hulk. Hell yes.

Justice League Unlimited 40 (DC/Johnny DC) - Based off the animated series that I never got to watch much of. Roy Harper (Green Arrow's sidekick) is stuck on monitor duty in the watch tower with only Booster Gold and Skeets as company. Naturally, they get attacked by a powerful foe. Surprisingly, Booster comes up with a plan inspired by the Battle of Agincourt where English longbows won the day. Is this how they'll be playing Booster in the regular DCU, or was this how he always acted in JLU?

Ms. Marvel 12 (Marvel) - Interesting stuff as Ms. Marvel battles one of her earliest foes and some AIM craziness. Oh yeah, Aranya shows up to help her mentor and promptly gets hospitalized. See why Marvel tries to stay away from teen sidekicks?

New Avengers 27 (Marvel) - More ninjas! A new Ronin! The new New Avengers! Witty banter! I have a feeling, however, that Marvel will be getting most of the mail regarding a particular combat maneuver Luke Cage uses against Elektra.
Ouch.

Punisher 44 (Marvel/Max) - The wives of a few of the mob bosses that the Punisher killed want revenge. They've been studying his past fights, his strengths, his weaknesses, and they believe they're ready for a showdown. Are they?

Sam Noir Ronin Holiday 1 (Image) - The second series for this awesome character. 1 part samurai action flick, 1 part noir detective, 5 parts kick-ass. This time, Sam's on vacation when some professionals try to kill him. Can he solve the mystery with the help of some island police? Can he get one of the girls on the beach? Only time (and issue two) will tell.

Spider-Man Reign 3 (Marvel) - A very different take on Spider-Man. I've been liking the series, but reactions overall have been mixed, to say the least. Seems like this issue will be the turning point in the conflict.

Ultimate Spider-Man 105 (Marvel) - The fall out from the Clone Saga. Who lived, who died? Okay, so that's not so much the question as 'what happens next'? I really do like the issue, from the most awkward hug in existence to Samuel L. Fury admitting he was wrong to Peter and Shadowcat staying a couple and keeping MJ on as a good friend with awkward feelings for each other.
One of those three doesn't happen. And it makes me so mad.

Uncanny X-Men 483 (Marvel) - This is a good plot set up issue. I just think most of the stuff with Vulcan and the Shi'ar empire could have been set up in one issue like this, not the 2-3 it's taken so far. All in all I still like the storyline, but I'm not too sure on this issue. I think the pay-off we'll get will be more than worth it though.

Welcome to Tranquility 3 (DC/Wildstorm) - Gail Simone writes this story about a super-hero retirement community, and the murder that makes everyone a suspect. Quite a few laughs, but some good character moments and 'flashback' sequences where the book takes on quite a retro feel back to the golden age of comics. If you haven't been reading this, I'd suggest taking a look at the first issue (shouldn't be too hard to find, I don't tihnk).

X-23 Target X 3 (Marvel) - The continuing backstory of Wolverine's female clone. I like that they're getting her 'mysterious past' out of the way quickly. This issue we learn more of the chemical trigger and why she wants to kill anyone with it on them. Overall I've been digging her stories, but I know a lot of people that don't like her at all. This isn't something that will turn your opinion of her around, so if you like her, you'll like the issue. If you don't, then don't worry about it.

X-Men Annual 2007 (Marvel) - More Rogue/Mystique stuff. Rogue tells Mystique she can go ahead and leave the team, as she never plans on forgiving or getting close to her 'mother.' I like that wierd triangle with Nightcrawler, Rogue, and Mystique. Kurt is practically begging for a mother figure in his life, and Rogue would give anything to have Mystique leave her alone. I could go on a bit about this, but I don't want to leave out the return of Northstar and Aurora to some semblence of sanity (and not being dead!). Whether this is an isolated incident or heralds the return of them to comics at large still remains to be seen. All in all, a good issue.

X-Men Phoenix Warsong 5 (Marvel) - The second part of the trilogy comes to a close. Plenty of explosions, caused by lots and lots of fire. Hey, it's a Phoenix mini-series, what did you expect? The X-Men seem to triumph over the Phoenix again, but for how long and at what cost? One thing's for certain, after the last scene with Emma I wouldn't want to be the Phoenix's host next time it comes planetside. I wouldn't want to be on the same continent as those two.

Alright, that's it for this week. If I missed anything you need to have me review, tell me. I'll see what I can do.

[Edited on 12-2-2007 by idsunki]
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.