lol, reviews! 1/31/07

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

lol, reviews! 1/31/07

Post by idsunki »

Alright, playing a little catch up. My bad!

This is dedicated to my absolute biggest fan.

52 Week 39 (DC) - Lex Luthor has an 'off' switch. Rain of the Supermen indeed. Some interesting stuff coming up in 52, it's not too late to get into it if you've missed it!

American Virgin 11 (DC/Vertigo) - What if his girlfriend wasn't the one God was talking about? Adam begins his quest to track down all the other girls God could have been talking about, and the first one takes him into ... well, let's just say they might need to change the name of the comic after next issue if he's not careful!

Anita Blake Vampire Hunter 4 (Marvel/Dabel Bros) - More incredibly pretty vampire people. If you liked Laurel K. Hamilton's books, I'm sure you'll like these. Or if you just like very pretty looking vampires and vampire hunters, pick this one up.

Black Panther 24 (Marvel) - Whose side are T'challa and Storm on? Apparently they're sticking with the Good Captain. Storm goes to handle Tony Stark, and T'challa swings by Secret Avengers HQ to sniff out the traitor (literally). A couple of good moments in the book over all (including Storm getting used to the idea of being a Queen), but the best moment was the 'coming next month' page - Storm vs. Clone Thor!

Chronicles of Wormwood 1 (Avatar) - While it isn't exactly The Boys or Preacher, it's one of Ennis's new books which chronicles the adventures of a rogue anti-Christ, Jesus Christ, and other religious figures in the modern world. Wormwood was reborn into the world, figured out he was the anti-Christ, and also figured out he had no desire to bring about any sort of Armageddon. Him and Jesus (who decided against dying for anyone's sins this time so he could stick around and make sure they got his message right) get a few drinks, he gets a booty call from Joan of Arc, and he has a talking rabbit. 18+, for sexual, violent, and sacriligeous content.

Daredevil 93 (Marvel) - Matt Murdock's life is in this crazy place. He owes his freedom and probably his life to a criminal, and part of the deal is to get the Kingpin out of jail. There's some good exposition explaining the last storyline or two, so if you're looking for a jumping on point for Daredevil and don't mind reading in between a few lines or asking a couple questions at the local comic shop, go ahead and jump on.

Ex Machina 26 (DC/Wildstorm) - More politcal maneuvering, some insight into the Mayor's past, and that wacky Kremlin's plans come closer to fruition!

Jack of Fables 7 (DC/Vertigo) - Jack decides to come back to telling the Ice Queen story later, and comes a little bit back toward the present. Apparently his former captors aren't done with him yet, and he's got a whole new set of problems coming up with his latest wife. More great stuff from Fables.

Ms. Marvel Special (Marvel) - Some new metakid has this wierd story power. Does the Marvel U really need another Scarlet Witch type out there in the world? Will we ever see that character again? Time will tell, but the issue was all right.

Nodwick 36 (DorkStorm) - The last regular issue of Nodwick, it finishes up the epic storyline of a group of dark adventurers trying to raise a dark god. The world is saved by a henchman with a plan, an arrow with a tooth in it, and a first kiss.
No, really!

Teen Titans 43 (DC) - Deathstroke shows up with his own team of Titans. Both of his children have been 'stolen' by the Teen Titans, so he aims to take them back, as well as kill most of the current roster. It also gives some insight as to why Cassandra Cain has been behaving the way she has.

Ultimate Civil War Spider-Ham (Marvel) - Obviously a parody issue, Peter Porker Spider-Ham is lost without a thought, all he has are these narration boxes. Where have all the thought balloons gone? Why are Iron Man and Captain America fighting over the Super-Hero Merchandising Act? And is this why Dr. Strange hasn't been fighting? All this and more, pick it up if you need a bit of a laugh. Fun twist ending, too.

Ultimate Fantastic Four 38 (Marvel) - I think this stuff was Ultimate Kree, but a very interesting new take on it. Reed Richards gets to make out with a hot alien chick (much to Sue Storm's dislike), and he starts getting an idea... maybe the Ultimate Cosmic Cube? We'll see.

Walking Dead 34 (Image) - Great, great book. This issue is no exception. How much harder could it get for a bunch of survivors in a zombie apocalypse? Just wait until the last page. Dammit, I can't wait for the next issue.

X-Men 195 (Marvel) - Pandemic? Another villain with a crush on Rogue? Wonderful. Pretty good issue, fun fight scenes, and another last page that has me waiting impatiently for the next one. See, Rogue unleashes her secret weapon. Stay tuned in 30, true believer!

Okay, that's it for that week. I'll try and have this week's (2/7) done before Valentine's Day.

Once again, any questions, comments, reviews, requests, guesses as to who my absolute biggest fan is, fighting over who gets to be my absolute biggest fan ... go ahead and click reply.

You know you want to.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
kamizzi
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot
Title: Encourager Extraodinaire

lol, reviews! 1/31/07

Post by kamizzi »

spider-ham is 'lollous' ;) I've read that and it's gorgeous.
Anita Blake is good too. Like all vampire stories.

It's soo good to have that incredibly intelligent reviewer here!!! :D
:?
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

lol, reviews! 1/31/07

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Chronicles Of Wormwood. Read one comic, it was very funny. Cant find more though and that makes me sad.
Satans son who wants to be normal, a talking rabbit "did you f*** her?" and a black jesus.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

lol, reviews! 1/31/07

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by idsunki
Anita Blake Vampire Hunter 4 (Marvel/Dabel Bros) - More incredibly pretty vampire people. If you liked Laurel K. Hamilton's books, I'm sure you'll like these. Or if you just like very pretty looking vampires and vampire hunters, pick this one up.
*salivates* Pretty. Pretty! Pretty!

I love her books. I own them all... in hardcover. I've known about the comic for awhile but been holding back because I've been worried the art wouldn't be pretty enough, and I don't want the series tainted for me. Will definitely take a look now.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

lol, reviews! 1/31/07

Post by idsunki »

I did enjoy Spider-Ham, Kam. Always nice to have a fun book every so often.

Still waiting on Chronicles #2 Croc. I can't wait to see what daddy has to say...

Spaz, if you haven't seen the covers for the Anita Blake stuff, check them out here.
The interior art is pretty much the same, just a little less polished.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

lol, reviews! 1/31/07

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by idsunki

Spaz, if you haven't seen the covers for the Anita Blake stuff, check them out here.
The interior art is pretty much the same, just a little less polished.
Thanks! :) Very pretty. I will buy the trade.

I never would have guessed Marvel would do an Anita Blake comic. I would have thought it was more a DC thing.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

lol, reviews! 1/31/07

Post by idsunki »

It wasn't actually Marvel that was going to do it originally. A small publishing company called 'The Dabel Brothers' picked up a bunch of licenses to popular sci fi and fantasy books and started publishing last year. Their eyes were a little bigger than their pocket books though, so it looked like they were going to go under quickly and quietly.

Marvel smelled an opportunity and offered to take them on as an imprint. So far it looks like it's been paying off pretty well, so we should be seeing a bit more stuff like that soon.