lol, reviews! 1/17/07

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

lol, reviews! 1/17/07

Post by idsunki »

So it's been awhile. None of you cared, so no complaining!

(okay, so maybe one person cared and that's why I'm doing them again. no one else gets to complain)

52 #37 (DC) - I was right! Ha! I was right for the wrong reasons, but dammit I was right about Supernova's identity. I know there have been slow weeks and big weeks so far, but it looks like from here on out it's just going to get crazier and crazier. If you've stuck with it this far, keep going, you're almost there!

Cable & Deadpool #36 (Marvel) - They honestly could have taken the Cable out of the title for this one. Deadpool is trying to prove that he's still a great mercenary so he breaks Taskmaster out of jail ... to kidnap him and force him to a one on one fight in front of the types of people who hire high-dollar mercenaries. That he also kidnapped to watch the fight. Great, great Deadpool issue.

Exiles #90 (Marvel) - Claremont's back. Don't bother.

Fantastic Four #542 (Marvel) - If you're a fan of the Thing clobberin' stuff, go pick up 541. If you want more insight into why Reed is being so crazy for Tony's side of Civil War, pick this one up.

Helmet of Fate Detective Chimp (DC) - I love that monkey. He claims in this issue that Batman is only the world's greatest human detective, and the he is far superior. For a little while, he's actually right.

Lady Death Warrior Temptress - More pin ups of Lady Death in various warrior, temptress, and combination get ups. If you're into drawings of sexy ladies with big swords, this is for you.

Lost Books of Eve #1 (Viper Comics) - Josh Howard strikes again with more barely-clothed sexy ladies. This time it's the first of them of all, Eve, on a search for her mate after he disappeared. She's joined by Asherah, the angel guarding Eden (y'know, with the flaming sword?) who is also drawn as a sexy lady. I swear, it's like that guy likes drawing ladies without much clothing on. The story seems kind of interesting so far too.

Marvel Adventures Avengers #9 (Marvel) - Another 'out of continuity' one from Marvel, this one features the Avengers being kidnapped by MODOC. He decides the best way to defeat them is to subject them to the same treatment he underwent. So we have an issue of a bunch of Avengers with giant heads flying around blasting stuff. You must pick up this issue.

Red Menace #3 (Wildstorm/DC) - Life's not easy for a formerly patriotic super-hero caught in the McCarthy era, labeled as a red and convicted by the HUAC. Good stuff, plenty of action and history!

Sensational Spider-Man #34 (Marvel) - Or as they should have called it, the "Super Hot Black Cat #34!" No actual appearance of Peter, but Felicia stops by the hotel he's staying at and has a chat with MJ and Aunt May (spoiler - they don't get along well). Then she goes and has a heart to heart with the Rhino. Does it end well? Check out the book! Not a bad read.

She-Hulk #15 (Marvel) - Not quite so light-hearted anymore, but still a lot of fun. In a World Without a Hulk, She-Hulk has to pick up the slack by becoming an Agent of SHIELD. Her first mission? Take on the Abomination! Not so easy, what with her not being quite as strong as her cousin, but she manages to pull it off somehow. It's the how that makes the book worth reading.

Spider-Man Reign #2 (Marvel) - My cynical Marvel-hating friend always says, "I liked it better when it was Batman Dark Knight Returns." Then, I punch him in the face. Yes, on the surface this is a similar tale. However, it is uniquely Spider-Man, and I've been liking it. This issue's best moment? The Hypno-Hustler. Brilliant.

Ultimate Spider-Man #104 (Marvel) - Man, is this Clone Saga a million times cooler than the original one? Yes it is. Every issue just seems to up the ante, even when it seems like everything's worked out and most everything is back to normal - BAM. Leave it to Reed Richards to end the issue on a cliffhanger, huh?

Ultimate X-Men #78 (Marvel) - Pretty crazy stuff with Bishop and Cable, but you people here probably couldn't care less about all that. What might interest you guys is that Kurt is probably out of his coma (read the last few pages to figure that part out), and one of the letters printed is someone unhappy with the Annual's handling of Kurt. The response was something along the lines of, "Now, would Kirkman not use someone with such awesome story potential as Nightcrawler?"

Wisdom #2 (Marvel/MAX) - Last issue Pete Wisdom had to marry a Tank Girl-like Tinkerbell to ensure peace between England the the Realms of Faerie. This issue, the dreams of a town are coming to life and it's up to Pete's rag-tag team to fix the problem. Even if it means hot kniving someone's hands right off and talking to his dead-for-years mum. This is my second-favorite Marvel book, right behind Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane.

X-Men First Class #5 (Marvel) - THOR! He's coming to save the day! THOR! He's got long blonde hair and a big hammer! THOR! He's in the latest First Class! I've been digging this series, it's a lot of fun and the art is very animated. Worth checking out, even if you haven't been reading the rest (very much one-shot adventures).

Y the Last Man #53 (DC/Vertigo) - Only seven issues left. This one's a look at someone we haven't seen since... issue two? three? Anyway, the 'garbage collector' that Yorick escaped from early in the series. Her and her 'boyfriend' learn that even in a world without men or a future, there's still hope. I want to read the rest of this so badly, but at the same time I don't want it to end.

There. I'll be back next week, hopefully on Wednesday but maybe not until Thursday or Friday. As always, discussion is welcome. Agree with me, disagree with me, request books I missed, whatever. I'm also considering doing some classic reviews of back issues I love or hate. Send in requests and I'll start working on it.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

lol, reviews! 1/17/07

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

HEY! I cared!! These are great! The only book I read with you is Exiles. (I bought Wisdom, but didn't read it yet :P). And I agree about Exiles. Bad bad bad. Claremont is gonna sink that book.

Aren't you reading Girls?! It's getting so good!!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

lol, reviews! 1/17/07

Post by idsunki »

Girls is just nuts. I didn't read this one because it came to the store sealed in a bag because of the naughtiness within. Too many boobs in this one, I guess.

I think Claremont just needs to gracefully retire. That way people can remember him well, which he deserves, and he wouldn't have to write any current books, which we deserve.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

lol, reviews! 1/17/07

Post by littlebamf »

I have Wisdom right on my desk waiting to be read :D

And I value your opinions too! I perfer to have a real, honest person review them before I guy buy, so I know if they're going to be any good.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

lol, reviews! 1/17/07

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Ooooo Girls has gotten REALLY good. I suggest checking out the trades when they finish in a few months. There's only like...3 issues left I think.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

lol, reviews! 1/17/07

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I have to check out Ultimate X-Men and Wisdom. Wisdom sounds seriously effed up. And maybe Girls. If you say it's good. Which you do.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir