Why do you read?

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Why do you read?

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I thought this may be an interesting discussion topic to open up. With all the different books on the market, and the writers and artists who's styles can be polar from one another, it's interesting to think of what draws us into a book, and what keeps us there. I'm very interested to find out what makes all of us decide to read what we do. Writer? Artist? Character? Team? Company? Friends?

Personally, the more I think about it, the more important the character is to me. But I also don't limit myself to only books which contain my favorites. I suppose my point is, I perfer books which tend to be more character driven, that takes breaks from action to deal in some heavy duty character development, or can easily find balance between the two. Vaughan and Winnick are my writers for that. Really excellent with both the obvious, in your face character development, as well as very subtle, develop over time.

Though, recommendations from friends also get me reading, but it's generally the above that keeps me reading :)

I also pick up a few books simply for the character. Nocturne, baby, I'll buy any book she's in. Any. And I've bought alot of crap ;)

Anyway, do share! What gets you reading? And what keeps you reading??
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Why do you read?

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

I would say that I am definately character driven. However I also have this whole thing where if I start collecting stuff I like to have the 'complete set' so to speak. I hate leaving a story unfinished.

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Why do you read?

Post by JSherlock »

I am very character driven. I like some action, but it's the psychology of the characters that gets me. I love seeing the characters interact and work with/against each other, depending on their personalities. And, like Paws, I also tend to finish my collection, once I start.

But I must say, the language that's used also draws me in. I like odd words, or older ones, or ones that are used in a different context from which they're usually seen. that ALWAYS captures my attention, and if that's coupled with the character driven plot? I'm in love.
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Why do you read?

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I mostly read on the basis of recommendations. What draws me in is someone else saying "You should read this"... and WHY.

I used to read for character, like specific characters, but not so much any more. Not caring about characters has actually removed the majority of my interest in reading anything, so just ignore anyone who says that's a bad reason. :X
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Why do you read?

Post by Nandireya »

Mostly I go for characters, but not always...if that was the case the only Marvel book I'd be reading right now would be Uncanny X-Men, but it isn't...though I've been steadily losing interest in all the books I get of late…I can’t even remember the last time I made the 10 minute drive to my local comic shop…it was the week the Ultimate X-Men annual came out…I guess it did little to increase my enthusiasm…or maybe I’m just finally growing up…
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
cockrumFANrick
Lubber
Lubber

Why do you read?

Post by cockrumFANrick »

ASTONISHING X-MEN has good basic easy to read stories and nice artwork.
stupidusername
Lubber
Lubber

Why do you read?

Post by stupidusername »

For me, it is a combination of art and plot. If the art is good, it draws me in to page through a comic and then I am looking for something interesting. Either a scene or dialogue that piques my interest. Then I buy it.

That how I got onto Civil War. I saw the art, it interested me, then I paged through it and saw Cap surfing on the hood of a jet plane and I was hooked. (Didn't like how the series turned out, though)

And why I got back into X-men. The new artists (Billy Tan and Chris Bachalo) are excellent and draw very interesting scenes. So I turned a few pages and when I saw Rogue absorb Emma's and Scott's powers and combine them, I was hooked. Same for the scene between Kurt and Xavier in Uncanny.

I could give other examples, but it is basically the same process. How long do I stay? Two issues into a new creative team. If I still don't like either the writing or the art by issue two of a new team, I stop buying and stop reading.

I never cared for the art or stories around the time that Bishop appeared for the first time. (Issue 282?) I also didn't like the split into X-men and Uncanny X-men. (it just seemed like a gimmick to get more of my money) I never liked the Acolytes of Magneto either and so between Bishop, the Hellions getting killed and the stupid Shinobi/Hellfire plot, I decided it wasn't worth my money anymore. Sure I lurked for a while, but I moved on to other titles. (mostly DC and DDP) It took the Ultimate titles to get me to come back to Marvel. Good art combined with good storytelling. It gets me everytime.
"It's nice to know I'm not the only one with a wealth of worthless knowledge" Huey Freeman
kurtc
Lubber
Lubber

Why do you read?

Post by kurtc »

When I first started collecting again I'd say that the books I got were totaly character driven. but as I've gotten more and more interested it could be anything that brings me into a book be it the art, characters, write or storyline. I find i have a hard time dropping books out of a sense of dedication to those books I guess out of a hope that it'll go back to the "good ol days"
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Why do you read?

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I simply want a good story. I like powers and fight scenes and all that, but if it is random, I lose interest. I always buy if I see Nightcrawler though.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!