The Boys

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

The Boys

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Killer frikken first issue. Really quick and awesome set up for exactly how this world works. Anyone else pick it up?? It's Darick and Garth Ennis!! PICK IT UP!!

I'm very excited to see how this all unfolds. It's interesting because its all from a completely different side of the whole superhero game than we're used to seeing.

GO GET IT! And then come here and talk!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

The Boys

Post by idsunki »

It is pretty brutal though. Poor guy... gets a really nice girl that loves him, then BAM.

I think this series is probably the best reason for heroes like that to be registered, and it isn't even Marvel.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The Boys

Originally posted by idsunki
It is pretty brutal though. Poor guy... gets a really nice girl that loves him, then BAM.

I think this series is probably the best reason for heroes like that to be registered, and it isn't even Marvel.
Oh man that was a crazy scene. And he's holding her arms after? The hero was completely uneffected too, just like "You guys'll take care of it? Ok, see ya!"

And it seems like thats a trend...
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
jeangay
Lubber
Lubber
Title: JEAN LUC!!!!!

The Boys

Post by jeangay »

I was digging the story....the art is great. The violence is over the top, and I'm kinda on the fence about it...like...I guess it makes its point, but it doesn't really do that much for me.

I like the point of the story, and the fact that all the superheroes are just pretentious humans, with powers. And I think its so true to life, because if super powered people existed today, they would NOT be very moral at all....what would be the point. Karate chop morals RIGHT in the throat... KEEEE-YAAAA!
"Phoenix was the best in the movie, I often wish I could turn people into dippin dots." ~Me

NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The Boys

Man this book is rocking HARD. The last issue, IMHO, was the weakest so far but STILL frikken amazing.

Anyone else like....absolutely in LOVE with A-train?? I don't know why but he is the best thing EVAR
Darkholme
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

The Boys

Post by Darkholme »

And...it's over. At least for now.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=98812

I'm just a wee bit surprised that they would pull the plug on the book, considering that they knew ahead of time that Garth was planning to out-Preacher Preacher. PLUS the book was shipping on time - something that can't be said for 80% of Wildstorm books.

Oh well, at least Garth and Darick are maintaining their creator rights and odds are they will be able to take the series to another publisher (provided they work with Darick DC-exclusive status).
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The Boys

This is SO depressing. It's seriously one of the best books out there right now, and WHY! WHY! Damn you DC! I'd boycott you if I read you!

They gotta bring it to Image or something.
kurtc
Lubber
Lubber

The Boys

Post by kurtc »

NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The Boys

This is the best news ever. When's the first issue???!
kurtc
Lubber
Lubber

The Boys

Post by kurtc »

The only info is for #7 and the tpb for 1-6 in June.
kurtc
Lubber
Lubber

The Boys

Post by kurtc »

also...
In talking about "The Boys," Robertson said the trade which is solicited in the most recent issue of Previews by Dynamite will collect the first six issues of the book as they were originally printed by DC. However, he and Garth are hoping/anticipating that there will be a "Boys: Uncut" Hardcover after issue #12 which will restore all the changes that were made to the first six issues. Of the changes made, Robertson pointed out "The Boys" #4 page 3. According to the artist, there were about twenty more naked women in center panel and several adult devices (rhymes with bildos) had to be "photoshopped" out.
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

The Boys

Post by littlebamf »

Okay this is one hell of a ressurect, but The Boys is continually one of my favourite books. There have been one or two arcs where my interest faltered a little, but in general its remained as solid asI would expect from the creative team.

A lot of the themes are adult (shaaame I knoow) and I like how dirty and gritty it can be and I love how relatively normal Hughie still is, even after everything. Queen Maeve is fast becoming an unexpected favourite of mine, although I've always had a soft spot for her right from the start, despite all that's happened. Sometimes you can't help but love the bad guys - if anyone is a true good guy at any rate. Another thing I like about the book.

Still, there's plenty of interesting things developing in the series and it's going to keep rolling. Looking forward to it.

Also, how awesome would a movie version be, directed by Guy Ritchie? Just sayin'!

[Edited on 30-8-11 by littlebamf]
Ferguson
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Fergie the Unjust

The Boys

Post by Ferguson »

Movie version? Don't toy with my hopes, woman because, lets face it, that would be brilliant.

And full support for the enjoyment of Queen Maeve even though I never actually get to read properly and just get to skim my friend's once in a while. You do have to appreciate a book that isn't concerned with there bieng a true good and right way as well and really it's something a whole lot of storytellers could touch on more.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The Boys

littlebamf wrote:Okay this is one hell of a ressurect, but The Boys is continually one of my favourite books. There have been one or two arcs where my interest faltered a little, but in general its remained as solid asI would expect from the creative team.

A lot of the themes are adult (shaaame I knoow) and I like how dirty and gritty it can be and I love how relatively normal Hughie still is, even after everything. Queen Maeve is fast becoming an unexpected favourite of mine, although I've always had a soft spot for her right from the start, despite all that's happened. Sometimes you can't help but love the bad guys - if anyone is a true good guy at any rate. Another thing I like about the book.

Still, there's plenty of interesting things developing in the series and it's going to keep rolling. Looking forward to it.

Also, how awesome would a movie version be, directed by Guy Ritchie? Just sayin'!

[Edited on 30-8-11 by littlebamf]
Sadly, I have little to add as I haven't read the book in a while. I just want to mention that I read that last piece and was like "HOLY CRAP THE PRISCILLA GUY IS A DIRECTOR NOW?! I love him!" But then remembered I was thinking of Guy Pearce. Sry!
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

The Boys

Post by littlebamf »

A movie version would be off the charts. Clive Owen as Butcher, just a little bit?

But really, that is probably why I enjoy the book so much as there is precious little that is really good in that books - excellent case in point, Annie walking in on Drummer Boy and Holy Mary, the supposedly goody good lil'Christian team. I did laugh at that, I'll admit.

Annie is probably one of my least favourite characters though. Something about her just rubs me the wrong way and I prefer liking to dislike characters such as the Homelander, over just liking Annie in general.