Anyone hear "All Things Considered" today?

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=5304264

Hearing this on the radio today on my way to the comic book shop made me actually drive right past- willingly!

[Edited on 28/3/06 by Angelique]
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

If you like that, then you'll love this:

Fair Use

I followed this when it happened and it's still cool to look back and read how an indy band with no money beat out the RIAA and changed the way the recording industry treats sampled music rights.

-e
kurt_the_quick
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by kurt_the_quick »

interesting. I don't think Marvel and DC will win this one. remember when Fox News tried to copyright "fair and balanced" when Al Franken had it on the cover of a book? that fizzled out relatively quickly. popular support is for free use of words.

...I'm a bit disappointed though. I thought this would be Neil Conan talking about his various guest appearances in Claremount books. :P

but I should have known better, he does Talk of the Nation.

[Edited on 3/28/06 by kurt_the_quick]
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I hope they don't win. I hope they lose, with prejudice, in fact. I went ahead and sent in a pretty scathing commentary about how they'd probably make more money if they focused more on maintaining a consistently high standard of quality than on who has the legal right to use the word "superhero."
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

Exactly! Concentrating on the commercial aspects will only hurt them in the end. They need to be producing a product worth protecting. Otherwise, they're only in it for the money :cry - I like it way better when artists and writers enjoy their work and do the best with it they can because its their craft and they respect it. And when the producers and editors support them in that, it's just the best. The books aren't worth reading if they're just being cranked out to make a profit.

I guess there aren't too many products out there like that though :
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

I think whoever wrote (chiseled?) the legends of Gilgamesh should come back to life and sue Marvel and DC for stealing the concept of a super-powered human that fights evil.

Feh. "Super Hero" is waaaay too general a concept to copywrite.
It would be like if Vogue and Cosmopolitan owned "Super Model"...
Or if Coke and Pespi owned "Soft Drink"...
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

Well..... I do think it's silly, but really, that's how trademarks work... Superhero Happy Hour had to change it's name becuase it is a COMIC BOOK. If it was a TV show or movie, it wouldn't have stepped on the trademark. The fact is, silly as it was to register in the first place, the trademark has been in place since 1981. This isn't anything new. The trademark was already in place spcifically forbidding the word 'superhero' be used on comic books, so while the writer/publisher of Superhero Happy Hour was probably unaware that they couldn't use it in the title, that's the way things were...

It can be used on other type of books (Science of Superheroes, anyone?) or in movies, or games (City of Heroes uses the term 'Superhero' throughout quite liberally, they could have had the word 'superhero' in the title of the game, no problem. But they also publish a comic book by the same name, and that would have caused issues.)

as an aside: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4854408.stm

same kinda deal. Apple Computers and Apple Records have existed side by side for many years with little trouble. but now that Apple Computers is getting into music... it could weaken the association that people would grant Apple Records when the word 'apple' is used in relation to music. they have to take action, or they can legally lose the trademark entirely.

and it's not like the word 'apple' is any less generic than the term 'superhero'

[Edited on 29/3/06 by Bamfette]
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

I noticed a while back on one of my Nighty trading cards:

SUPER HEROES (co-owned)...

So...if THAT'S what the two have tradmarked, then using superheroes or super-heroes should be fine...I think...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

Originally posted by Angelique

Hearing this on the radio today on my way to the comic book shop made me actually drive right past- willingly!

[Edited on 28/3/06 by Angelique]
So this radio report turned you sour on Marvel and DC, so you drove past the comic shop entirely? Take your usual comic budget and try out some independent titles. See if your shop can order you Blankets, or Three Fingers, or Dorothy, or any of the other hundreds of cool non-Marvel or DC books. Even with Image, you've got some cool ones like Invincible, Walking Dead, or Noble Causes. Dark Horse has some cool new Star Wars books, Perhapanauts, not to mention Hellboy.

So please, expand your horizons past Marvel and DC instead of just driving past. Unless, of course, the local comic shop only carries Marvel and DC.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Originally posted by idsunki

So this radio report turned you sour on Marvel and DC, so you drove past the comic shop entirely? Take your usual comic budget and try out some independent titles. See if your shop can order you Blankets, or Three Fingers, or Dorothy, or any of the other hundreds of cool non-Marvel or DC books. Even with Image, you've got some cool ones like Invincible, Walking Dead, or Noble Causes. Dark Horse has some cool new Star Wars books, Perhapanauts, not to mention Hellboy.

So please, expand your horizons past Marvel and DC instead of just driving past. Unless, of course, the local comic shop only carries Marvel and DC.
Agreed Idsunki! There are plenty of comics being written outside the big two that really need our support....I've grown pretty fond of "Girls" by the Luna brothers...and I've been meaning to check out Invincible and Walking Dead (gotta finish Preacher before I can add a new book though..;))
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

LOL Jill!!

There was actually a really great report on Dateline or 20/20 or one of those shows a while back on the importance of trademarking. The one example I remember was the Thermos. Thermos was a company that created and produced thermos'. However, they never trademarked the word Thermos, and therefor lost control. Anything any company created that was like their thermos could be called a thermos in their marketing, and suddenly the integrity of the original thermos didn't matter. They lost a TON TON TON of money over not trademarking that name....

It's not exactly the same as the superhero thing, but it shows why trademarking is important. And really, the trademark doesn't effect ANYONE but people within the industry. Like the comic says, you can still use the word, you just can't use as a marketing device. No big whoop.

EDIT: I actually found the episode written out word for word in an article. It makes alot of sense, and hey, it's business.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/GiveMeABreak ... id=1390867

[Edited on 30/3/06 by NachtcGleiskette]
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Actually, you can't use the word superhero to market a book, and you can't use it in the book's title. But I still think it's more than a little ridiculous, almost as if Marvel decided to trademark the word "mutant."

Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

I always wondered how Mirage Studios managed to trademark the names of the Ninja Turtles...they're the names of frikken artists (and one is also an archangel) for God's sake!
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D