TPB/GN Reccomendations!

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

TPB/GN Reccomendations!

Post by Bamfette »

Allright, to help kick this sub-forum off, reccomend 3 TPB's or GN's that you think everyone should try, and why.

1. Maus by Art Spiegelman - This was simply one of the best stories I have ever read, hands down. It made me think of the Holocaust on a very personal level, and how it affected individuals instead of how it affected a mass group of people. Something I haven't seen done as well unil Schindlers List came out. It is also the first comic ever to win a Pulitzer, they created a special category in 1992 just for it.

2. The Sandman by Neil Gaiman - This is the series that got me into comics. The first volume was given to me as a present, I had never read comics before, despite enjoying the X-Men and Spiderman cartoons and the Superman and Batman movies. I thought they were something for adolescent boys, without ever trying to read them myself. But after reading The Dolls House, I was hooked. I have the entire collection now, plus the Death books, and still love them to pieces. It made me realize that comics could be written for any audience, and got me to try other titles.

3. Preacher by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon - I haven't actually finished reading all of them... I started reading some of C's collection, and really liked this series quite a lot. It's HIGHLY blasphemous, and can get quite over the top in terms of violence and some graphic imagry, so if you are deeply religious (specifically Christian), or are disturbed by violence, I would approach this with caution. but for me, it was great. Just a lot of fun, while still raising some interesting points about religion and society.

[Edited on 19/3/06 by Bamfette]
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

TPB/GN Reccomendations!

Post by chicory »

(Took me a little while to figure out what those abbreviations meant :LOL)

1. Excalibur - Chris Claremont and Alan Davis - Must be out in trade paperback by now...Classic Excalibur is my favorite! I bought something like the first twenty issues off of ebay (as well as The Sword is Drawn) and I was hooked. Whimsical, well-written, and doesn't take itself too seriously. And the artwork is excellent!

2. Marvel 1602 - Neil Gaiman and Andy Kubert - I read the hardcover version of this, a really good way to read it. I've loved the art, the pacing, and the many ways Marvel characters were introduced in this vastly different setting. Worth reading!

3. Y: The Last Man - Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guarra - I've only read the first and fifth volume of this, but I'm planning on reading more. I just thought it was really well done from what I've read. I liked the way they've presented this tragic end of the world situation and was interested in what would happen to all of the characters. (And I hear the story arcs are planned out enough to incorporate an solid ending - which is always nice.

I've read a little of Neil Gaiman's The Sandman but I'll have to check out the others of Bamfette's reccs :)
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

TPB/GN Reccomendations!

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I'm seconding Y, Sandman, and Preacher...

Plus, of course,

TRANSMETROPOLITAN!!!

Seriously, pick it up. You won't regret it.

Also, as for general novels? If you haven't yet read "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley, I don't know what you're waiting for. Best. Book. Ever.

I'll work in some wiki links later....my right hand is giving me trouble..
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

TPB/GN Reccomendations!

Post by Slarti »

Right now I just have one rec, but even though I’ve only so far read the first trade of Y (bought the second one yesterday) I definitely can second that recommendation. I’m also getting a kick out of Transmet.

True Story Swear to God - First recommended to me by Mabus Rex, I was skeptical of a book that could make our Ryan cry like a baby. But he was sooo right. It’s a true love story, and it’s sappy and sentimental, but gawd, it’ll make you grin like an idiot and bawl at the same time. Tom Beland just does such a good job at capturing all the squishy stages of love that you feel every bit of it along with him. It’s also pretty darn funny.

[Edited on 20-3-2006 by Slarti]

[Edited on 20-3-2006 by Slarti]