Fables

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Fables

Post by Bamfette »

We don't have a Fables thread? wow.

So anyway, while looking up stuff for my last post in the Y thread about how stories that come to an end are a good thing.... i found the solicit for Fables #50 and wanted to share and discuss:

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/?cm=5369

fangirl glee on so many levels, here. The cover! love it! :LOL Bigby and Snow: squeee! Pinocchio and Gepetto: extremely intrigued, I've been wondering what happened with that since [spoiler]Boy Blue just left him there after it was revealed Gepetto was the Adversary.[/spoiler] Jack's back! in his own series! (probably old news but I don't really read the news sites anymore) squee!

though, this one issue alone (apparently) answers so many questions, it seems to me this means the end is drawing near for Fables, just like Y... I'm placing my bets on issue 75(ish) as the final issue. though I guess we will have a Jack series in its place. :)
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Fables

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

You know why I hate Vertigo sometimes?? Becausew I started reading Y and Fables in trade format, and it take them for-EVER to release the damn trades. I think the last Fables trade was right after Christmas, so I don't expect to see a new one til June the earliest :bawl

But besides my whining, this looks GREAT! All this answered in the one issue? And I'm looking foward to Jack of Fables, I always really liked Jack alot...

I'm glad they're planning an end for this series too. Even though I bet this series could go on far longer than Y could, what with so many characters and so many possibilities, but how long can they be fighting the Adversary, ya know? With no resolution....it would go stale. 75 you say? I'm gonna say 100...only because I want it to last a little bit longer :bawl
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Fables

Post by Bamfette »

Don't worry, i only read it in trades too, so we are on the same page... I am tempted to pick up the singles for the Arabian stories though, I'm way too curious to see Aladdin (who is actually Chinese, but pretty sure he'll be included here) and all that good stuff.

and yeah, I always liked Jack too. I have a thing for trickster characters. I was sad to see him go, though his final issues were very good ones.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Fables

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Also a trade reader. The main problem with trades is that it's really hard to discuss the books. There's always the uncomfortable feeling that you're speculating on things that are known, and the worry that someone will correct you and spoil everything. I'm sure this mass switching to trades is a big part of why the discussion threads show hardly any action any more.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Fables

Post by Bamfette »

yeah, exactly. it's why I haven't been participating in most of the discussions for the mainstream books. I get trades of EVERYTHING these days. it's just easier to organize, easier to go back and re-read, easier to pass around to friends (I got my sister totally hooked on Y and Fables by lending her my trades, and now she buys them herself) cheaper.... everything as far as my own personal enjoyment of the material is concerned, is made better by the trade format. I LIKE having them on my shelf and I can just glance at the spine and get exactly what I want. I like having a durable book as opposed to a flimsy comic. I like reading an arc in one sitting. I like that the comic shop trip isn't a bi-weekly (or even weekly) event anymore, I can go once every couple months, get what I want, and it's more according to my own schedule, etc.

but it makes participating in dicussions difficult becuase some of the other people disussing are reading the single issues, so you either don't want to read because you're going to get spoilers, or anything you add will be old news.

*edited to add: Spaz, i think you may be on to something about the lack of activity in the main forums. so many people are switching to trades these days, and they probably feel the same way.... I'm half thinking making a 'bookshelf' section, for trades discussion, but dunno if yet another section dividing discussion would be warranted...

[Edited on 19/3/06 by Bamfette]
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Fables

Post by Slarti »

Jill, I don't think that's a bad idea at all, because I've also hopped the trade bandwagon. I'd do better at discussing books in that format too.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Fables

Post by Bamfette »

Maybe if we also make it for NON comic book. you know, the kind without pictures.... it would make it more high traffic.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Fables

Post by Saint Kurt »

We totally had a Fables thread:

FABLES:Who is the Adversary

It was right on the first page of the NC-Comics forum. :LOL

But it was a poll. Now we've got a real thread. And I think a "Trades and Books without Pictures" subforum would be cool. I'd totally participate.

-e
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Fables

Post by Bamfette »

well, yeah, I knew about that, but as you said, it was a poll and it wasn't general discussion, it was about the Adversary specifically (and i was so right, too)... i meant a general thread. ;)