Jump the Shark:When a comic goes downhill

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

As most of you probably know, "Jump the Shark" is a term for when a t.v. show goes downhill in quality. Anyway when did a comic(Excalibur, Uncanny, Ultimate) go down hill in your opnion?

Excalibur(1st series)- Jumped the Shark-Issue #75, When Rachel left and Brian came back, it was one of the worst trades ever, right up there with the Babe Ruth trade :smirk. Excalibur's storylines after that never really interested me.

New Mutants(1st series)- Jumped the Shark- Issue #60, when Doug died.

Uncanny X-Men- has yet to jump but has come close.
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

:LOL 100% with you about Excalibur. After Meggan and Brian came back so changed it just wasn't the same book anymore.

I liked Doug's character a lot and I didn't read New Mutants - but from the story about it in Excalibur it didn't seem so much like a jump the shark moment as much as a senseless tragedy... but that's just my opinion.

Uncanny has come close - but I almost think it's the kind of book that can get away with anything. It's so classic it will just rebound.

I can't really add to this list except maybe New X-men, but they're not really 'jumping the shark' so much as being overhauled into a completely different book :?
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Exiles most definately jumped when Bedard came on.

Uncanny has def jumped a few times. But with it's ever changing writers, it will always be good and bad..its like the SNL of Xbooks....

Xmen: The End jumped on the first sentence of the first page. I was done with that book before I even started....

I'll have to think about more....
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

Generation M= I thought it jumped on the second issue, it is still interesting but it seems that two stories are competing againest each other....
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

X-Factor (1st series) jumped Issue #105, it just got odd...
cockrumFANrick
Lubber
Lubber

Post by cockrumFANrick »

When Marvel created it's 2nd "Mutant" book and began their exploitation of the X-Titles through so many books per month and too many crossovers and long stories of cosmic grandeur or in alternate universes or the future that were supposedly epic, but quite frankly boring and confusing... The best days were X-Men #1-28 then #48-66 and then #94-137...
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

I actually think Excalibur jumped once, came back and then jumped again after issue 75 as previously mentioned. To me, it went to crap for a while when Claremont and Davis left and the Cross-Time Caper dragged on then petered out. I remember some horrendous art during that period. It came back when Alan Davis returned.
stupidusername
Lubber
Lubber

Shark-Jumping

Post by stupidusername »

I have to agree with Confizzle- The Original New Mutants jumped the shark when Doug Ramsey was killed by a Dr. Moreau wannabe in a stupid birdboy plot. After issue 60, it was all Asgard and Aliens (and the art was pretty crappy, too). I miss Doug Ramsey. He was such a sweet character. I miss all the old New Mutants. X-Force and Havok's X-Factor ruined most of them. Only Sam (Cannonball) is still cool. Everyone else is dead or lame.

I also agree with NachtcGleiskette. Uncanny has jumped the shark many times, only to be revived later by a new creative team. When Uncanny split from one book to two (Uncanny X-men and X-men) was one such example. Sure Bishop was introduced, but the "new" Hellfire Club, timetravellers and such really stunk up the book. So I quit reading them for awhile. When it got better, I came back.

Is the Academy X or Generation X stories any good? I kind of missed all that. I want to know how Emma becomes the hero she is now. Suddenly in New X-men (the ones in that weird, cool style like "Riot at Xavier's" and the Cassandra Nova plot) she is a valued ally. Xavier even relies on her. When did that happen? I get the whole Emma being the other woman first in Scott's head (the "mental" affair) and then in his bed after Jean died again, but when was the turn? When was her Rogue period, when she was seeking redemption and everyone mistrusted her?
"It's nice to know I'm not the only one with a wealth of worthless knowledge" Huey Freeman