JUSTOOGOOD's comic progress.

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
JUSTOOGOOD
Lubber
Lubber

Post by JUSTOOGOOD »

Hi remember me? I said last year that I was going to be making a comic for women, well this is where I intend to keep you all posted on the progress; it's now week 6 of the project and things are shaping up quite nicely.
The main character is a young (20-something) reporter, named Anouska Bold, she has great drive and determination and she isn't about to take any sh** from anyone.
I toyed around with the idea of a police-officer character at first but two factors emerged;
a) I don't know enough about the workings of the law to write a convincing story for the character;
b) That type of character has been done to death.
Then I realised that the main element of the character that was appealing to me was the fact that her line of work enabled me to write a variety of plot-arcs that could be kept fresh. Or that's the idea anyways.

I have some concept sketches to show you all but the scanner that I was going to use is not working at the mo. Ah well you'll just have to wait...

PS Anouska isn't really a super hero as such, but she can read peoples aura's (which makes her a veritable human lie-detector) which should come in pretty damn handy for a journalist. I know it doesn't sound terribly adventurous or exciting, but one thing that I realised from my research was that women want realism; both in the characters' appearance and the story. However a healthy dose of escapism will still be provided in this fictitious, idealised world.

PPS The aim of this comic is to attract a larger female audience and get them to view the medium in a new (more serious?) light. With this in mind I am looking at novel ways to promote the comic and at present I have come up with the following ideas;
-Free promotional 1st issues given away in selected clothing stores (Handy A6 size to fit in the handbag),
-Advertisements in free press and/or lifestyle magasines whished are aimed at target audience (18-30 year old women), depending upon costs as this is an independent publication and I'm but a poor student,
-Possible postcard promotion (There is a company called Boomerang who supply free postcards to bars/student-unions/clubs and such like), still looking into this one...

Please feel free to give feedback, criticism, opinions etc…
I'm the best there is at what I do...
...no wait,
...that's someone else.

*ANYTHING STATED IN THE ABOVE POST IS MERELY THE OPINION OF MYSELF: UNLESS SUPPORTED BY FACTS/SOURCES ETC*
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

It looks like an interesting character that should turn out to do great things but what is her goal? What is it that drives her to do whatever she does in the various plot-arcs you develop? Is it to fight crime and why? Is it to fight liars and why? Just a simple little criticism... otherwise it sounds great!
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
JUSTOOGOOD
Lubber
Lubber

Post by JUSTOOGOOD »

good question... er...she is motivated by earning a living and having fun (same as everyone). The story arcs will come out of the different (zany) situations that she finds herself in; her personality will dictate this most often. But yeah most of the time she will be motivated by doing the right thing and/or getting the exclusive story.
I had considered giving her a love interest which would be referred to in every issue but not actually resolved for yonks; but then I thought it would be better if she was independent enough to not be spending her whole life searching for Mr. Right. I see her more as happy where she is, alone but not exactly lonely; as if she thinks along the lines of "Mr Right can just damn well find me."
...no wait,
...that's someone else.

*ANYTHING STATED IN THE ABOVE POST IS MERELY THE OPINION OF MYSELF: UNLESS SUPPORTED BY FACTS/SOURCES ETC*
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

a method of advertising i always thoght would work well for attracting female readers is advertising in one of the publications they already buy.... i don't know the agegroup you are targetig, but if you wat to hit the teenage crowd (lot of disposeable income, allowances, part time jobs without havin to pay rent, etc.) see about gettin advertising space i one of those teenybobber magazies. they are so cheaply printed, i can't see that it would be too expensive.
JUSTOOGOOD
Lubber
Lubber

Post by JUSTOOGOOD »

That is a great idea thanks.

The target audience is 15-30 yrs old, but it would be far more beneficial to expand this group and aim to attract young women who are still formulating their opinions of the world, as most of my target audience will probably already see comics as only for school boys etc.

I will look into this... thanku again.
...no wait,
...that's someone else.

Shadowscrawl
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Shadowscrawl »

Allright, you’re doing it! One suggestion that possibly could help: you could ask your local bookstore or library to let you do a presentation.
“How to draw comics” talks are always popular, and your audience is always enthusiastic. You get to meet your target audience, and to hear feedback from them firsthand. Plus, you get to flog a few copies! You might not be allowed to sell, especially if your setting is a public library, but you can distribute fliers (the postcard idea is great BTY). Do have a web page. Just a simple one with the basic info at least. Plenty of free web hosts around and that way I get to see your work…I mean it’s good for business!
One little nitpicking thing: why are you calling your hero ‘Bold’? Is this a humour thing? Because that’s a name that's easy to make fun of.
"You've got it allright. Now keep it to yourself"

http://shadowscrawl.tripod.com/
Home of Lil' Kurt
JUSTOOGOOD
Lubber
Lubber

Post by JUSTOOGOOD »

I like your idea about doing a presentation, but I don't think I'm experienced enough to be giving presentations just yet; it is definitely something to look into though. Ta.

I didn't really give the name too much thought to be honest as I feel that if someone wants to take the micky out of my character then they'll do it no matter what she is called. Besides I think it has a nice ring to it Anouska Bold.
Maybe I should do a poll on the name sort of like the name the cat topic. lol.

I still appreciate your opinion though. Thanks.

p.s. I am relatively web-uninitiated (that makes sense right?) but, a web site would most definitely be a good idea. As soon as I figure it out I'll post the address.

Also the scanners are back online now so I'll be stickin up some character development pics soon, so watch this space!
...no wait,
...that's someone else.

JUSTOOGOOD
Lubber
Lubber

Post by JUSTOOGOOD »

uni is finally over. WAHOO!! I would like to post the comic sampler here that i have been working on, but due to size restrictions, I'll probably just post a link to my website once it is done. I still really appreciate the help you guys (you know who you are) gave me with my original questionnaire. I won't forget you.

P.S. I'm glad to see that scrawlers is back!
...no wait,
...that's someone else.