A Question of Storage

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
bepalin
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

A Question of Storage

Post by bepalin »

Hi all! I've got a question if anybody can help me out.
I’ve been collecting comics for a while and have ended up with quite a lot of them. But I can’t figure out a convenient way to store them. At the moment I’m keeping them in three ring binders with those see through covermajigs, but they are still rather awkward to store. How do you all keep yours? Anybody find a good way to do it?

Thanks! Long live Scrawlers!
:)
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

A Question of Storage

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I keep mine in a shoebox, but I haven't got much. I suggest keeping yours in a box or another place where they're not likely to get wet or stepped or anything bad like that
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

A Question of Storage

Post by Crawler »

Bep> There are a few "traditional" ways to stor comics. First, they make polybags specifically for comics. Acid-free and all that. They also make macking boards for them to keep you from bending the comic or dinging the corners through the bag. And they make what are called "long boxes" and "short boxes" which are, essentially, heavy duty white cardboard boxes designed to store comics.

If you go to a store that has backissues, it's likely that these are what they have, and you can get them at most comic stores or online.

I personally am not really in it for collecting purposes, I'm in it for the reading. All my comics came in polybags, so they stay in the polybags, but beyond that, I just put them on a bookshelf.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Darkholme
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

A Question of Storage

Post by Darkholme »

The best way to store comics are in specialty bags, boards and boxes. They are avaiable from most comic shops and sometimes card shops...every so often they'll pop up in dept stores, but the quality is usually much worse.

A bag of 100 bags will usually be in the $4-$6 range, 100 boards $7-$10, and a box anywhere from $3-$6 depending on the size. Short boxes will hold about 150, long around 300 bagged & boarded.

When bagging and boarding, make sure to put the shiny side of the board on the back, so the comic will be touching the non-shiny side. The boards are designed to 1) provide support and 2) pull acid out of the book so the pages don't deteriorate. Change the boards every 3-5 years or if they show severe yellowing.

Use some scotch tape to seal the bags (I use two inch long stips on the back corners), and you're set!
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

A Question of Storage

Post by Nandireya »

I have mine bagged, boarded and stored in two upright rows in seven filing cabinets...and I'm running low on space...and I have no space for more filing cabinets...dunno what I'm gonna do...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

A Question of Storage

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I keep mine in boxes. I'd get better boxes but I just don't give a shit. I'm considering just tossing some of the biggest wastes of space, unless of course anyone here wants 90s issues of Captain America enough to pay for shipping...
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir