What price will prevent you picking up a comic?

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!

Total votes: 0

Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

lets assume a standard color comic book, 22-25 pages of story, semi-indy, as in, not put out by either Marvel or DC. You think it looks cool. BUT! everyone has their limit as to what they will pay, no matter how cool it looks. What cover price is where you draw the line where you won't pick up a color single issue, that's kinda indy, even if it looks really cool? The prices are assumed to be in American, btw. you'll have to provide conversion to another country's currency, but most books have the American price stamped on em, anyway.

as a point of reference: Y: The Last Man is $2.95 X-Men(all titles) is $2.25, Superman (again, all) is $2.50

or will you just not buy anything unless it's Marvel or DC? if so, why the hell not?
Dezzy Dragon
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Dezzy Dragon »

I have bought other things then Marvel and DC but not so much now. I hate coming into a story mid way so I don’t normally look over the little dividers from the Marvel section. But for the sake of argument (and this thread) if it was just a one shot comics and it looked good both inside and out I would pay $3.00 or $3.50 depending on what ells I have picked up at the time, so I say $3.50.
Remy_LeBeau
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Remy_LeBeau »

this all depends on a number of different things for me. If it's a first issue I usually like that first issue to be about 3-3.50 range. That way I can see if I'll like the story or not (I'd actually like it to be cheaper but seeing as how it's not one of the big two companies I realize that the price tag is going to be a little bit higher). If I like the first issue then I'll continue on at whatever the title is priced at bc from that point on I'm hooked.
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Gaz »

For me it really depends. With most comics, my limit is about 4.00 Unless its by an artist or writer I'm really fond of or that I collect, which I will pay a lot for. I like that X-Men are 2.25. I think it's a perfect price.
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

We can actually compare this with cigarette smoking. Many smokers will end up paying $10 a pack for example but smoke less cigarettes. The same can be said of comics. You start dropping books until you are left with the books that you really want to keep reading. I gave up comics 13 years ago because it got to be an expensive hobby. I was buying multiples of the same issue and sitting on books in hopes that they would rise in value one day. I got back into comics but I don't buy them for future monetary gain.

I really don't think that people will stop buying comics if they got too expensive. The will just stop buying as many.

As for single issues it would depend on the creative team and how well I like the characters in it. Most X-Men titles I pick up because I enjoy reading about the X-Men. I don't really get into Indies. I'ver heard Y: The Last Man is good but I keep forgetting to pick it up. :/ For a time I did read the Elementals and Magnus Robot Fighter back in the late 80's early 90's. I think I read some Alien vs Predator as well. Even then I thought comics were getting expensive. I dropped a few titles then.

A dollar? WTF?? :eek
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by **Northstars Love**

A dollar? WTF?? :eek
A whole dollar? Can we haggle?

I like my "first issues", by which I mean the first issues of something I read, to be really really cheap, cause I don't like to spend, well, anything really unless I know what I'm getting. Example: Comic book shop has limited space, so once comics get to be, I don't know, six months old he just stickers them with $1 and dumps them in a bin. Eventually the bin gets full and he puts them on for 50% off. That is when I go and pull out all the super cool-looking obscure stuff. I find maybe 10-20% of the cool-looking stuff is actually cool. Once I know what I actually like, I can go and pay... whatever, 3.50 for the other issues.

Basically, there is way too much cool-looking stuff in that store to pay more than a buck to try it.

It doesn't matter what publisher it is, cause lord knows Marvel and DC put out a lot of crap, so their name is no guarantee.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Tatu »

I'm a cheap ass... My limit was around $2.50, but i'd pay more if it really looked interesting. When the price got past $3.50 *pffft*

of course, i dont really count, my ass is too lazy to buy single issues anymore, i wait for trades.. :shame
Call me King!
Jeremys Iron
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Jeremys Iron »

I assume this poll is talking about prices in US dollars, correct? Most comics here are already between $4 and $5 (Cdn.), with most everything that's not mainstream Marvel or DC closer or above $5. Thank goodness for that 25% discount I get at my LCS. ;)

Cost of an individual issue really isn't a deciding factor for me. If I like something a lot and it's expensive I'll find a way to fit it in to my pull list. Whether that means droping some other books so I can afford it or just buying it anyway and having less money. The important things to me are who's the writer? Who's the artist(s)? Is it in colour (I HATE black and white comics for some irrational reason)? What's it about? If it's done by creators I've really enjoyed in the past or whom I would like to help out then I will certainly stretch my budget to include it.
Are You on the Global Frequency?

Spider: You see, Channon, it's the duty of journalists to strike fear into the hearts of criminals.
Channon: With your meat gun?
Spider: Or your attack womb.
Channon: Or your illegal bowel disruptor.
Spider: Whatever...
-Transmetropolitan #4

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas -- Where There is Doubt, There is Freedom
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

Almost all comics are too expensive in South Afrcia, except for DC and mad magazine. I know there is a SA Branch of Mad, that's why it's cheap. Probably the same for DC, but Marvel doesn't have one, so when I finally scraped enough money together, I close my eyes, bite my lip, and pay $8 for one freakin issue of Xmen.
So if I pay that much for X-men, I might as well pay that much for other comics, on condition that it's bloody good. Otherwise I'll just turn and walk away, and spend the money on other frivolous stuff like groceries or petrol.
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Hmmnn? Good question. I normally don't buy single issues anymore, I subscribe, but if it is the first issue, I pay around $3-3.50,and not above that unless it happens to be a favorite artist or writer. But like I said I don't but them that often. And I do usually stick to only Marvel and DC, occasionally DarkHorse.
one name: Bruce Campbell
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Hmmm...can't really vote on this one...I already pay more than $5.50 for a lot of my stuff...damn currency exchange rate!

My basic gauge is to double the US price...that work's pretty close...and I'd pay a $US5.50 for something I want...already have...for one shots/mini-series...I'd have to have a good long think about it if it was ongoing...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
RavEnigma
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by RavEnigma »

Depends on the issue/ series. I just bought an Excalibur #2 off ebay for $8.00 US (including shipping) And I'd be willing to pay a lot for certain comics, like the 'This Angel Fallen' arc from the 80's.
:bunny Naz-Bunny Lover Club member #1

"God help the outcasts, or nobody will"

"That's not a cat, it's a minion of the antichrist!"

Pietro Fan Club Member #1
:evopietro = :love
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

i mean NEW comics. not old ones. obviously some people are willing to pay exorbitant ammounts of money for old comics. 50-75 thousand for Action Comics #1, tens of thousands for others. i mean off the rack, the month it is released.

unless you mean Excalibur #2 vol. 2, not vol. 1...

i also mean in US funds specifically... I am in Canada, so i regulaily pay $4-5.00 for comics, but in Canadian dollars. so yeah, i understand all about the various exchange rates. i mean the AMERICAN cover price stamped on the front, which is why i listed a few well known titles. think what you pay for X-Men or Y, then decide if you will pay that same ammount, or more. so, those who said they paid more in foreign countries, what did you vote, and would you vote differently, considering?

sorry, but this isn't just a matter of curiosity for me. this is kinda important. this is JUST non-mainstream, colour, new comics, in American dollars. sorry that i have to be so specific, but...
RavEnigma
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by RavEnigma »

I meant the new Excalibur series, the one that takes place on Genosha, which currently features Xavier, Magneto, Callisto (the reason I started reading the series, thanks nights_dre for tipping me off), and the new characters Wicked and Freakshow. And some sites I visited had issue #2 listed for over $50! Just because it's got the appearance of Magneto in it! I consider myself lucky to have gotten it for $8, even if I am now broke.
:bunny Naz-Bunny Lover Club member #1

"God help the outcasts, or nobody will"

"That's not a cat, it's a minion of the antichrist!"

Pietro Fan Club Member #1
:evopietro = :love
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

OH! Okay...umm, well yeah, I'm willing to pay $3-3.50, but the norm I think is $2.50. The reason I say $3.50 is because there is a large range of comics out there, some more expensive than others, I haven't actually bought any more than a few that were priced more than 3 bucks, but that's because my comic book store doesn't have a wide variety.

Are you making a comic book, Bamfette? I can't think of a better way to find an ideal price than to ask the consumer themselves.
one name: Bruce Campbell
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

indeed i am... see the bright yellow and orange banner in my sig? ;)
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Gaz »

Originally posted by Bamfette
indeed i am... see the bright yellow and orange banner in my sig? ;)
It's hard to miss it. ;)

So is it published yet or what?
How much is it? I don't wanna get my hopes up or anything, but I'd love to buy it.
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
Sorte Springer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Sorte Springer »

I really don´t have a limit to how much I will pay for a comic book if it looks appealing enough. I Denmark comic books are usually rather expensive, especially the original Danish ones. Out of principle I buy all original Danish books that are remotely apealling even if the cost up to 20$. Since Jill is almost a Danish comic book artist I might buy "Heathen Sent" out of before mentinoed principle, and of course because the art is so nice, and the plot, as far as I can tell, is really interesting.
A ve in om de flest æ de bedst eller båre de flest.
- Niels Hausgaard
Tracker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Tracker »

I'm really bad...since my LCS is about 2 and half hours away, I tend to indulge myself when I get to go (about once every two months). I do the whole "ring 'em up, but don't tell me what's going on my Visa" thing....thank God I'm employed ;)

So, really...I don't have a limit per se...if it looks good, I'll try it. If read it and don't think it's worth shelling out $5,$6...then I don't get any more.
Sail away where no ball and chain
Can keep us from the roarin' waves
Together undivided, but forever we'll be free.
So sail away aboard our rig
The moon is full and so are we,
We're seven drunken pirates
We're the seven deadly sins.
~Flogging Molly

Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member#40 :engarde
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

it's been delayed... for a number of reasons, one of which we can't talk about. if things with erm... that.... don't get moving soon, it will be released September, if things do work out, it may be delayed until the new year, but not by our decision.

if we self publish the price will be 2.75. if not, we are not sure, but probably more, i am afraid. unless we try Image, in which case it should be around 2.95 if their other books are anything to judge by. but we haven't sent our package in to them yet.
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

I can pay $3.50 if the comic is good quality, $4.00 will be too much because dollars are expensive for me.
$3.50 usd are $40.00 pesos... but i can afford that for a comic..more than $40.00 pesos would be too much.. $50.00 pesos its too much for a comic, you can buy a 2 hand trade on an excellent conditions with that here.
Winged Outlaw
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot
Title: Banned

Post by Winged Outlaw »

Honestly, if its good, I'll buy it, with very little regard to price. The other day I put down $60 at a shop to pick up some trades, just because they were reviewed well. But this week it was less then $10.

I'd be wary of paying over $3.00 for a single issue unless I heard some amazing things, however. $3.00 actually sounds like a pretty decent price, to me...
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

The most I've payed so far is $10 for my favorite comic, Giant Size X-Men #1... I've also payed a quarter for Holy Wars part 1. Just to make it clear, I just began collecting between February and April, so I only have ten so far and I only buy X-Men, mostly Uncanny.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Okay…if the premise of the book sparks my interest I’d be more than willing to pay the $5.50 or above US cover price for a quality book…
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

Post by littlebamf »

Damn, this is hard....

I guess it really does depend on the comic. If the artwork's good and it seems a decent story, I'd pay up to about $5 to $6 dollars I suppose-if I've got the exchange rate into £'s right in my head- as it may become an investment someday or the start of a new affection for a title....