Last day of the Con...

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Last day of the Con...

Post by Tatu »

jeez Amy is it possible for you to type any more?! :X
Steve would have had screaming orgasms at all the Trigun and Inuyasha stuff I saw.
I have been told this (By both Drew and C last year, i believe), therefore, I must be there next year... you will all lose me in anime alley .. C will have to put a little leash on me so's you can find me...

"Pup, where the hell are you..?"
"I'm Molesting the cute guy dressed as Inuyasha!!"*
Call me King!
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Last day of the Con...

Post by kurtlover »

I must take pictures of that!!!!!!!! hehehe
Steve humping on anime stuff is a must to take pictures!

Wow Amy that was long O_o thanks for sharing as well
now we need Andy and Drew to post their bit :p
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Last day of the Con...

Post by Maelstrom »

Maelstrom's Very Very Late Blog, part 2

Sorry about the "dual nature" of this, but I, once again, overloaded the poor buffer with my single post. :blush

I wrote up all that previous stuff yesterday, when I was at my own system. Now I'm at work, where I can actually post all of this as I go.

Day 5: I Don't Wanna Go Home! :bawl

I'm serious, guys. When Sunday came, it was accompanied by the realization that this was my *last* day here. :cry Time had never flown by so fast for me, and I really didn't want to leave.

Things I didn't get to do or see:

* The art show. :oops Whoops. By the time I thought about it, I noticed this little auction going on in the far end of the xhibit hall. I forgot that this con went on until Sunday only, not Monday, and all of it had to be taken care of by 7pm that evening. Oh, well. Next year.

* I never got to see Hsu or Poofer. At least, I don't think I did.... :shifty There were SO many people there, a crush of humanity, that even the most visible costumes would disappear after ten or fifteen feet of bobbing heads.

* No panels, autographs, workshops, or anything of the sort. I didn't even glance in the book for them. Perhaps next time I'll at least check the possibilities out.

* My *own* costume. :shame The dress for the Fiona part of Jesse and my Shrek and Fiona dual costume won't be in until August. We'll just have to do it for Haloween first, I suppose....

Hall costumes that I would always remember (besides the "blue crew";) )

* Robot Caveman. This was for an indy comic someone was doing. It was so wonderfully ludicrous, such a walking contradiction, that I had to get a picture for myself. Even had one taken of me next to him.

* Gimli. To be honest, there were many LOTR costumes there, and they were all great. A few Aragorns, some armored Elven troops, but it's Gimli that I'll remember. Gimli was very well done, facial prosthetics and all. The chain hauburk was made of washers bound together with copper wire: very inventive, effective, and cool looking. :nodyes And, to top it off, this person, who was built like John Rheys Davies, was a female, with voice higher than mine. I saluted that woman.

* Puss in Boots. :*D This guy created the "cuteness attack" version of Shrek 2's Puss In Boots. Good LORD, but this was cute! We're talking a walking case of ketoacidosis! When I get the pics up tomorrow, you won't believe your eyes.

* A marching line of at least 30 imperial stormtroopers, tie fighters, rebel pilots and Jedi, winding their way through the crowd. I didn't have the camera ready at that time, but trust me: it's not a sight you soon forget.

* Buddy Christ. ;) Jill got a pic of him at the Heathen Sent booth. Need I say more? The man was perfect. Ah, the things you're missing, living in Texas, Steve. There, he probably would have been burned at the stake.

I don't travel that far to conventions very often. Over the past 10 years I've scaled back to not only the local ones, but only the local gaming conventions, of which there is, sadly, now just one. I just wasn't having much fun, and it seemed crazy to spend $300 on a weekend's worth of "not so much fun". When I went to WorldCon in 2002, it was an INCREDIBLE disappointment. :( The place might have been half the size of SDCC, the dealer's room tiny, attendance shallow, and the entry price easily five times higher.

But coming to SDCC has rekindled my interest. Perhaps next year I'll be able to do all those things I didn't do this time. But with only 4 full days, I shouldn't expect I could do it all. ;)
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Last day of the Con...

Post by Maelstrom »

Originally posted by Tatu
:evil Don't tempt me, young pupstar....
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Last day of the Con...

Post by Northstars Love »

She can....as she continues with Part 2 above. :P I loved all the detail of your post Amy. I felt like I was somewhat there during the 4 days.

Now you didn't forget anything did you? :smirk

Keep it up girl! :D
Steve would have had screaming orgasms at all the Trigun and Inuyasha stuff I saw.
I have been told this (By both Drew and C last year, i believe), therefore, I must be there next year... you will all lose me in anime alley .. C will have to put a little leash on me so's you can find me...

"I'm Molesting the cute guy dressed as Inuyasha!!"* [/quote]

I may have to pull you off of Inuyasha's leg Steve. I can see it now. Little leash? Long ass leash tied to something unmovable. Now don't piddle on the floor Stevie. :eek :LMAO
theindigojester
Lubber
Lubber

Last day of the Con...

Post by theindigojester »

I've been reading this thread with great interest and I decided I just had to post. :D

Along with everyone else, I must agree that the SDCC sounds like an awesome experience. I am presently convincing my friend to take a road trip up there with me next year.

Thank you all for describing your experiences. I had a lot of fun reading about them. And congrats Zam on the great response your costume got.

And speaking of Inuyahsa and costume stuff, were there any Sesshomarus walking around? :smirk
"A face only a mother could hurl into a river."
:):evokurt:moviecrawler:ultimate;)
Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Last day of the Con...

Post by Hsu »

"I'm Molesting the cute guy dressed as Inuyasha!!"*
Guy? Good luck. all the ones I saw were girls. that went for most of the anime costumes. Naruto, Inuyasha, DBZ, Yugioh even. Girls dressed as dudes.

If you notice there seems to be a lack of Hsu related pcitures. I didn't have a camera with me. Hehe, whoops. Lisa took one picture of me, and I look like a retard. So too bad to all of you that were desperate to find out how cute I am. (Addressed only to those who know who the hell I am)
[spoiler]I hate post whores![/spoiler]
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Last day of the Con...

Post by Saint Kurt »

I wanted to make a new image thread but this forum wouldn't let me do that.

So here they are in this thread:

See the madness!

Enjoy.
-e

[Edited by a mod to fix broken link - BB]
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Last day of the Con...

Post by kurtlover »

Zam you are teh coooooleest of tehh coooooleesst! i love your pics thanks for sharing them.
Your costume worths every cent you spent on it. :thumbup
Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Last day of the Con...

Post by Hsu »

Zam, your album is great. The captions alone are amusing me quite a bit. =D You got some fantastic pictures too. while talking to people they would ask me if I saw the nightcrawler who was walking around, "the one with the really good costume" and I had the honor of saying "Seen her? I know her!" (sorta...)

Which was nearly always responded with "Whoa, that's a girl?!"
[spoiler]I hate post whores![/spoiler]
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Last day of the Con...

Yay! Em had "The Chuck" lap pic! :D I love it!!!!!!! :LOL

Great pics Em. I saw some from your digital camera screen on Sunday but the larger sizes are much better. Thankies! ;)

Here are 3 pics. All I got that night. Sorry. :oops

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse. ... ted=962748

I think they came out pretty good. :D
NWKurt
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Last day of the Con...

Post by NWKurt »

Zam, looks great as usual!! Those perch and protective pics (guarding the HS booth) looks like NC's style!

Poor thing, having to look at people taking pics of ya for 3 hours a day? Ughh, but you sure showed them what a real artist can do!!

Yipee!!! Thanks for sharing!:D

NWKurt
Let us try to live our lost illusions....They're the sun at night.....If we don't, we'll never taste.....The spice of life!
~Enigma~ Le Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi! The Prism Of Life
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Last day of the Con...

Post by Crawler »

Originally posted by Maelstrom
Invariably, “stupid people” was about clueless individuals who lacked the
ability to relate to the real world. Case in point: Jill got a
commission from someone who said he didn’t care what she drew, so long
as it wasn’t Marvel, DC, or a Catholic schoolgirl. This, of course, gave
Jill a horrible idea: in addition to the serious work, she also drew
Wolvie in a Catholic schoolgirl dress, ripping his blouse open to show
Superman’s red “S” underneath. It was hysterical. It was so
obviously a joke. But when the guy came back, he had this lost/clueless/
“I live in my basement and spend all day playing MMORGs” look that told
Jill not to mess with him too much, so instead of the “Yeah, here, this
is what you asked for, right?” line (which would have been so much
more appropriate), she told him up front it was a joke. He still
stared at it in some mixture of horror and revulsion, apparently afraid
to touch it. Even when told up front “this is a joke”, he just
couldn’t fathom its existence, or how any why Jill would have done
exactly the opposite of what he desired. :shakeno
That's not how it went down at all. That's totally a different picture of the guy than is reality.

I'm not sure who you got this version of the story from, but since Jill and I were the only ones there and I know for a fact that this version didn't come from her or me, I'd like to know where this came from.

It's not true.

Jill did do the joke drawing. It was hilarious. Hopefully Emily, who now owns the masterpiece, will scan or take a picture of it for us so that we may share in the hilarity.

And no, the guy wasn't overly amused by it. But it wasn't out of stupidity or spite as you imply. He was simply a bit shy and, though Jill said it was a joke, I think he didn't really hear that and was momentarily afraid that she'd misread his request.

He was a very nice, polite guy and not weird or scary or stupid. Just quiet...and Jill and I relate to that. I know for a fact that Jill would like to work for him again.

So, again, where is this version of the story coming from? It's tantamount to libel...
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Last day of the Con...

Post by Maelstrom »

:doh! Okay, I heard something wrong... or I heard something else and included it... or I'm remembering someone else entirely and assigning it to the wrong person.

:shame Do you want me to edit the post, C?
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Last day of the Con...

Post by Saint Kurt »

The drawing is currently at the framers because I effing love it. It will hang next to my new front door at vet school so that anyone who visits knows exactly who they're dealing with the minute they walk in. (The kind of person who would put a drawing of Wolverine dressed as a catholic school girl by her front door...)

Hopefully I will be able to get a scan of it or at least photograph it without getting too much glare off the glass. (If I was really smart I would have done this BEFORE I framed it.)

I didn't hear that story either - only that the guy was a little confused and (luckily) didn't love it as much as I did.

-e
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Last day of the Con...

I'm dieing to see it Em. I wish I had known about it when I was in SD. I would have loved to have seen it in person. :D
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Last day of the Con...

Post by Bamfette »

yeah, the guy was great. he payed me well, was polite, friendly, and i would gladly do another drawing for him. he was just shy, which i can totally identify with, being shy myself. it was only me and C at the table, and i honestly can't remember tellin ANYONE anything besides that he had a slightly horrified look on his face upon seeing the Wolverine drawing, becuase there is nothing more to tell about him. I'd realy appreciate it if you didn't make it look like i mock paying customers behind their backs when i don't.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Last day of the Con...

Post by Maelstrom »

Guys, I got it wrong. I fucked up. I know that. I wasn't sure if you had a specific way in mind for me to take care of my mistake. I'll just go ahead and delete the paragraph.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Last day of the Con...

Post by Bamfette »

I realize that, Amy... but this is my job. I take it very seriously. I wanted to make it absolutley clear that i did not say those things. since he contacted me via Nightscrawlers and is probably reading this.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Last day of the Con...

Post by Maelstrom »

:doh! Great. :doh!

Bamfette, I'm so sorry about this. Bad enough that I screwed up, but the person I misrepresented saw it before I corrected myself, and I've managed to louse up a business transaction.... *bangs head against the table several times*

To said unknown person, if you're reading this? :shame I don't know how I got the wrong idea. I've edited out the false statement completely. If there's someone to blame for this mess, it sure as hell isn't C or Jill: it's me.
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Last day of the Con...

Post by Gaz »

Holy crap I wish I went. It looks like fun. Did any other Scrawlers show up or just those who are in the pictures? Not a big group compared to who said they would. I'll try to make it next time. I just have one question....was Jhonen there? :D
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Last day of the Con...

Post by Crawler »

Poofer was there, but apparently we missed him. And there may have been people that we didn't know were going. I mean, there's almost 1600 people here. We're bound to have lurkers that went. ;)
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Last day of the Con...

Post by Gaz »

Yeah, I'm just afraid that I'll save up all my money and go next time but get completely overwhelmed and lost, since I'm so teeny, and would miss all of you guys. Thateth would sucketh. It's cool that it happened at all.
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.