Austen Interview at SBC

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Jeremys Iron
Lubber
Lubber

Austen Interview at SBC

Post by Jeremys Iron »

Hi, I new here (obviously), been lurking for a while and I like it here so I thought I'd join in. :)

Anyway, I thought this interview with Chuck Austen was quite interesting. Chuck certainly seems to have a lot of passion for his work and that's one of the reasons I've liked much of it; I think that passion comes through on the page. But it seems to me from his last couple of interviews that he is becoming less and less enthusiastic about working in this industry. I got the distinct impression that he is seriously considering getting out of comics altogether and I hope that doesn't happen.

Still I think it's about time he dropped the whole "7 deadly trolls" bit. Personally it gave me a chuckle but to those that do the trolling it is only going to anger them further. Also it seems to destroy any good will from those that feel they are just making constructive criticism (and there are some ;) ) and are having their opinions unfairly dismissed. It's not a battle that you can win nor is it particularly worth fighting. You just take what constructive bits you can find and ignore the rest. I know, I know, easier said than done.
Are You on the Global Frequency?

Spider: You see, Channon, it's the duty of journalists to strike fear into the hearts of criminals.
Channon: With your meat gun?
Spider: Or your attack womb.
Channon: Or your illegal bowel disruptor.
Spider: Whatever...
-Transmetropolitan #4

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas -- Where There is Doubt, There is Freedom
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Austen Interview at SBC

Post by Bamfette »

oh suuuure he had to drag up this again:

[quote]
Funny, this goes to what I was saying about Hawkeye earlier. That week, I did that interview, and I had also gone off on another internet reporter. Nothing horrible, just told him I never wanted to talk to him again because of something a friend told me he’d done to them. Again, being supportive of friends, and at the same time, this particular reporter and I had history as far as his being — well, let’s just say overzealous — on a previous Marvel project to the point of really irritating me. So there was some history, there.

So I tell my friend I just told this reporter never to contact me again, and my friend says, “well, maybe I was wrong …” (laughs). The reporter gets back in touch with me and proves he hadn’t done anything wrong, and I feel like shit. I apologized and hoped it was over. It wasn’t, there were repercussions, and that’s life. I am a fairly stable, easy-going guy who’s lived long enough to have learned from some of his mistakes. I’m older than Hawkeye by any measurement, and I still, given the situation and right volatile circumstances, went off on someone stupidly. It happens. It’s not out of character, although there are people who would say they wouldn’t believe I could ever do such a thing. “He’s such a nice guy!” But we’re all capable. It’s what makes us human. And interesting.
[/quote]

like i don't feel bad enough :p I don't even remember what it was about specifically, just that i felt bad afterwards... was the recipient of some bad info, as well, and passed it on, and it snowballed. I know the person this is about is probably reading this, so i know it's late but it really is my bad, not Chuck's. don't hold anything against him for it, he was just defending a friend against a percieved wrong (well, sorta, just dug up the emails and it wasn't even about me, specifically, it was the forum). he's like that, he gets more upset about things done to friends than to himself, and he sticks up for them and fights for them. i didn't even intend for him to do that when i told him, i was just venting.

hehehe. good interview. tho he's kinda playing the company line. heh. i hear different rants in private. :p

and about the 7 deadly trolls bit, he REALLY doesn't care anymore if he pisses them off. they've proven over and over that no matter what he does or says, they'll still go off on him, so why even try to appease them? it's a no-win situation, anyway, so he may as well have his say. he doesn't have a problem with people who offer constructive criticism (though he doesn't read it, because it is always mixed in with genuine flames) and i just wish thst those people would realize that when he talks about 'trolls' he is NOT talking about everyone who may have criticised his work. (and he doesn't mean it *literally* either. he knows there's more than 7 or 12. come on, '7 deadly sins'? it's a joke, people)

and yeah, MUCH easier said than done. I've never had to deal with the level of flames that Chuck's gotten, but i have gotten some, in regards to my artwork. called me a hack, said a 10 year old could draw better, stuff like that. and though i know, logically, that i shouldn't take it seriously, and i have confidence in my skills enough to KNOW that i am good despite what they say, (not the best, not on an ego trip here, but i am certainly not bad) it still makes me upset when i see it. same thing. he's human, he has emotions. he knows logically that he shouldn't take the more trollish people seriously, but he can't help but be affected by it to some degree. you didn't have to talk to him during those 'last days on the internet' before the Pulse's 'final' interview. he had gone through surgery recently, so was already in pain, physically, he was getting death threats sent to his home email address (it has since led to him changing his email.) he normally is one of the most easy going guys you'll ever meet. he normally has a VERY long fuse, and it takes a LOT for him to go off on someone. but in those final days, his fuse was, shall we say, trimmed. he would snap at people when normally he wouldn't give them the time of day. he was miserable and frustrated. the only recourse left to him was to turn his back on the net entirely. he even stopped emailing people except for work for a time. even friends had to phone him if they wanted to talk to him because firends (myself incuded) with perfectly good intentions would email him links saying 'oh my god, do you see what they're saying? what assholes!' when he really didn't want to see what they were saying, anymore... didn't want to go near the internet unless absolutely necessary. he's calmed down recently and he's definately more plesant to talk to. but he wont go anywhere near any message boards, including here, though he used to lurk here, and go into the chat. and i don't blame him. and since that was the catalyst, it still leaves a bit of a festering wound with him.
Jeremys Iron
Lubber
Lubber

Austen Interview at SBC

Post by Jeremys Iron »

Originally posted by Bamfette
hehehe. good interview. tho hes kinda playing the company line. heh. i hear different rants in private. :p
I dont know if Id describe this interview as "playing the company line." I found it, at least from my perspective, refreshingly frank in places. Obviously you know what his feelings are on the subject(s) but I got the distinct impression from this interview that Austen was quite upset with several if not many of the current policies at Marvel. Plus what he said about the changes in Marvels ratings on the books to attract more kids directly contradicts what Joey Q has said in two interviews recently. I thought it did a good job of shedding some light on parts of the process that we as fans rarely see.
Originally posted by Bamfette
and about the 7 deadly trolls bit, he REALLY doesnt care anymore if he pisses them off. theyve proven over and over that no matter what he does or says, theyll still go off on him, so why even try to appease them? its a no-win situation, anyway, so he may as well have his say. he doesnt have a problem with people who offer constructive criticism (though he doesnt read it, because it is always mixed in with genuine flames) and i just wish thst those people would realize that when he talks about trolls he is NOT talking about everyone who may have criticised his work. (and he doesnt mean it *literally* either. he knows theres more than 7 or 12. come on, 7 deadly sins? its a joke, people)

and yeah, MUCH easier said than done. Ive never had to deal with the level of flames that Chucks gotten, but i have gotten some, in regards to my artwork. called me a hack, said a 10 year old could draw better, stuff like that. and though i know, logically, that i shouldnt take it seriously, and i have confidence in my skills enough to KNOW that i am good despite what they say, (not the best, not on an ego trip here, but i am certainly not bad) it still makes me upset when i see it. same thing. hes human, he has emotions. he knows logically that he shouldnt take the more trollish people seriously, but he cant help but be affected by it to some degree. you didnt have to talk to him during those last days on the internet before the Pulses final interview. he had gone through surgery recently, so was already in pain, physically, he was getting death threats sent to his home email address (it has since led to him changing his email.) he normally is one of the most easy going guys youll ever meet. he normally has a VERY long fuse, and it takes a LOT for him to go off on someone. but in those final days, his fuse was, shall we say, trimmed. he would snap at people when normally he wouldnt give them the time of day. he was miserable and frustrated. the only recourse left to him was to turn his back on the net entirely. he even stopped emailing people except for work for a time. even friends had to phone him if they wanted to talk to him because firends (myself incuded) with perfectly good intentions would email him links saying oh my god, do you see what theyre saying? what assholes! when he really didnt want to see what they were saying, anymore... didnt want to go near the internet unless absolutely necessary. hes calmed down recently and hes definately more plesant to talk to. but he wont go anywhere near any message boards, including here, though he used to lurk here, and go into the chat. and i dont blame him. and since that was the catalyst, it still leaves a bit of a festering wound with him.
I understand that no matter what he says he wont be able to change the minds of the trolls. But if it is a no-win situation then I dont think the best course of action is to "have his say." It only makes the situation worse. Believe me I know what its like to be verbally attacked and insulted about my skills. I umpire field hockey at a relatively high level and every time I step out on the field Im going to have coaches, players, and spectators calling my decisions crap while questioning my heritage, my eyesight, and my intelligence. Many a time Ive walked off the pitch feeling like dirt, feeling like I never wanted to do it again and nothing would have made me feel better, been more cathartic than to tell the morons, "Maybe you should read the rules before you open your mouth and make yourself look stupider than you already are." Or when someone asks, "What was THAT call for?!" As if I dont have a clue whats going on, Id really like to say, "That was for your momma!" but I cant and dont cause regardless of the fact that it would be funny, given me something to laugh about for ages, made me happy and I would have put the person in their place (so to speak). It would also have harmed the quality of the game and likely get me or another player hurt. By doing that, it makes it not about the game (or the story/art in the case of a comic book creator) which it should be, but about the battle between the two (or more) people and what they have said. The game or the story or whatever gets lost and if it does then what’s the point anymore its the reason your doing it in the first place.

Anyway I hope some of that made sense (Im never sure ;) ) and I really hope Chuck doesnt have to deal with the kind of attacks hes had in the past, in the future. No human being should have to, its so painful and dehumanizing. Why cant people see that?
Are You on the Global Frequency?

Spider: You see, Channon, it's the duty of journalists to strike fear into the hearts of criminals.
Channon: With your meat gun?
Spider: Or your attack womb.
Channon: Or your illegal bowel disruptor.
Spider: Whatever...
-Transmetropolitan #4

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas -- Where There is Doubt, There is Freedom
KurtnMeggan
Lubber
Lubber

Austen Interview at SBC

Post by KurtnMeggan »

I actually got all sorts of negative vibes from this interview. Sounds to me like Chuck is a little disenchanted with the industry as a whole after his experience on Avengers, as well as of course the constant fan-upheaval on the X-Titles.

It is good to hear, however, that Tom was doing his job as editor and quashing some of the ideas that didn't make sense in continuity. Tom is one of the best editors around and he KNOWS his Marvel history.
Meggan and Kurt! Love them! You know you wanna;):meggan
Archangel
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Austen Interview at SBC

Post by Archangel »

Whoa... is he talking about you Jill when he says a friend phoned me and told me about the change in wrighter.

He probably has many friends but I just had to ask.
"There are things that go bump in the night. We are the ones who bump back." ~Professor Broom~

"When you see red: Stop. When you see blue: Bamf. And when you see the ground.. Well, I told you to stop."
~Ryo and Hushy~
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Austen Interview at SBC

Post by Bamfette »

no, that wasn't me.

and i suppose there was some negative vibes now that i look again. but... eh, i shouldn't go into it.
Archangel
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Austen Interview at SBC

Post by Archangel »

I still dont understand why they hate Chuck so much. I know alot of people that like his wrighting and then there are people who seam it just fun to pick on him. I dont understand it
"There are things that go bump in the night. We are the ones who bump back." ~Professor Broom~

"When you see red: Stop. When you see blue: Bamf. And when you see the ground.. Well, I told you to stop."
~Ryo and Hushy~