A little help from my friends!

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Vee_EmmCee
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Vee_EmmCee »

Hey guys! I was wondering if I could ask a favor. I might have mentioned a few times that I was doing a project on comic books. Well, I'm a doing a bit where I ask people why they like comics. So, if a couple of you could answer these questions for me, it would be great!

What comics do you read?

Why do you read comics?

If you could just give your age too, only if you feel comfortable though. If you don't want to don't worry about it :). Ok! Thanks a lot everyone!
"The hate of another person is sick and disgusting, and I'll never understand how the word hate is thrown around like it's nothing. Because it's something, something ominious, and in the end, it will destroy us all. "
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

Vee,

I'm 35. Currently, I read two comics: Uncanny Xmen and 1602. I used to be into Xmen until the late 1980s, when they dropped NC completely and started getting lousy with their continuity. I started collecting again because of the X2 movie (rekindled my interest).

As for 1602, I had heard about the basic premise from the people here on the board, and considering how much I respected the writer/artist (Gaiman), I thought I'd give it a try. I find that it's worth the money, as it's well-written and drawn.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
sapphirescimitar
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by sapphirescimitar »

Because I have only the old comics, and so many, it would be unwanted for me to list them all. However, there's a thread somewhere around here that was for the purpose of what you read/collected which is where my entire collection is, if you so desire the entire list.

However, I *do* mostly read the Witching Hour, Weird War, Weird Mystery and the Fantastic Four... But, remember, none of these are newer than 1978.

I read comics because I was at first obsessed with collecting them. My collection mostly came from my father, so I was able to start not from scratch. Finally reading a few, they caught my extreme attention.

I am fourteen years old, also. But is there a reason for the age in your project? As in looking to see if the reason folks read the comics is the same or different in age groups? You must come into depth on this project. It sounds most interesting. :)
Cocnuts.
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by SheCat »

I'm fourteen years old and got into comics in 2003 after the X2 movie. I became an X-Men obsessive, what with the whole "super-power-in-your-genes" doohickey. After that, I searched the net and found a videogame (X-Men Next Dimension), which I ordered and got hooked on the southified Rogue and, of course, Gambit. So, I searched the net for them...lo and behold, the Gambit Guild! And it mentioned something I'd never considered before: X-Men comics.

Frankly, it's sad, but before I searched for Gambit on the net, I didn't even know comics existed. :blush

Now, I'm a huge fan of X-Statix. I've just subscribed and gotten my first X-Statix graphic novel. I'm also convincing my bro to lend me money for X-Treme and Uncanny.

I like comics because I love both art and words. I write and draw, and comics incorporate both.
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
"Everything I still want I just now prayed for." -Kreon, Antigone :cry
Viceroy of the Black Tom Appreciation Society
"You act like I know what day of the week it is." ~Patchy
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
StarLightCrawler
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by StarLightCrawler »

I'm 20 right now and i have been collecting comics sence i was 11. I don;t have old comics not becouse of a fire but i have Unncanny X-men and X-Men. Now i collect New X-Men vol.'s and well i can;t remeber what there called but speacle(sp)(like movie prequel comics, and mini comics on characters..ect). I aslo collect Spiderman comics. Though i realy only have about 20 and there odd ball one from all over the place. I like collecting them becouse i love the art in them and the story lines. I can get picky sometimes with comics if i like them or not but if it has Kurt, Remy, or Arc Angle in it then i will most likely get it. They are my fav characters. I can give you reason if you like but i will not go in to it now. That all i think.
Sorry for any miss typing or miss spelling.
If (sp) is by the word that means i don't know how to spell it.
Image :respectnc
My Kurt Site. Life
De kant spel fore beenz klub member# 3
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

I am in my late 30's and had been a very avid comic book reader as a kid, hooked on hand-me-downs from my cousins until I could afford them myself. I was a fan of X-men, Fantastic Four, Thor, Spiderman, Green Lantern and Superman. I put it aside to be more "grown up" when I became a teenager, although my youngest brother kept reading and I would occasionally sneak a peak at what he had lying around the house. I was reintroduced to X-Men and Nightcrawler when my brother told me there was a Christian X-Man and I got hooked on Excalibur as a college student.

My main interest in comics was because of Nightcrawler and I followed Excalibur and the occasional X-Men issue until marriage and life interfered. I actually got back into comics because of my brother, who is also in his thirties now and a major collector. He gave me the whole line of Elf Quests, which I really enjoyed, and I started to read some of his when I went to visit. But my real return came with the first X-Man movie. I had given over my Excaliburs to my brother, so I started to buy replacements on ebay. Recently he bought out someone else’s collection and sent me quite a few comics. Now I have many older Uncannys and Excaliburs. I currently subscribe to Uncanny X-Men, but will go with whatever book Nightcrawler ends up in during the upcoming reshuffle if I find I like the book.

My preteen thinks I’m weird for reading comics again, but I have found the stories are more mature than they once were and I feel the depth of the characters are better, as where the older UXM’s, especially those written by Claremont. Before the announcement of CC writing UXM again, I was thinking of picking up Extreme as well.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
bamfchickie
Lubber
Lubber

Post by bamfchickie »

I'm 30. I read/collect UXM, NXM, UltX, Excalibur, Wolverine, and (no laughing!) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Lurves me some B&W turtles. :D

Practically everything I purchase nowadays is for the purpose of completing my collection(s). At the moment I'm concentrating on UXM. I did rush to the comics shop every Wednesday for current issues, but recent arcs on UXM soured me. Yeah, I know I'm in the minority there. *ducks flying bricks*

As for why I read them, I think it has a little to do with recapturing my childhood. Obviously I love the characters, but it's more than that. The comics have changed so much - in some ways, for the better - but I loved reading them as a kid, when every arc had a happy ending, and there was this innocence to the characters, no matter what happened to them or what horrible things they faced.

I know that sounds like a Pollyanna reason, but there it is. ;) I think it has a lot to do with why I don't enjoy the recent comics as much. Some of that high-flying, swashbuckling, innocent adventurousness has been lost in favor of realism and a gritty feel. I miss the old days.

Guess that makes me a relic, eh? ;)
Vee_EmmCee
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Vee_EmmCee »

Thanks guys! So much! This really helped me out.

About the age thing, I just wanted people to see that not not all comic readers are teenages and younger children. It seems to be a common stereotype.
"The hate of another person is sick and disgusting, and I'll never understand how the word hate is thrown around like it's nothing. Because it's something, something ominious, and in the end, it will destroy us all. "
sapphirescimitar
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by sapphirescimitar »

Originally posted by Vee_EmmCee
Thanks guys! So much! This really helped me out.

About the age thing, I just wanted people to see that not not all comic readers are teenages and younger children. It seems to be a common stereotype.
That's good, because I never knew *who* collected comics. Before I came here, I assumed it was mostly people in their thirties and older, because of my influence. But I see quite a lot of teens collect them, too, which is good. But stereotypes are no good, and I'm glad you're including that in your research. :D
Cocnuts.
Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Warbird »

Even if you don't want any more, I love Comics and WANT to answer. Give me a moment to think how to put my enthusiasm into words. HMMMMMMM.....

Well, I'm 19 and have been reading comics since early middle school. I was attracted to them at first for two reasons. I was a very alienated child and was drawn in by the X-Men for that reason. They were missunderstood but were still the heros. No matter how horrible the world treated them, they took it with diganity and were the better people. That really really spoke Volumes to me.

I also used to love to coppy drawings. I loved to draw but didn't really have a direction. Art in public schools is a joke. I began mimicing the style of them. It was challenging and fun.

Now, I can't see myself ever not reading them. When I'm lonely or stressed out I can excape to another world where I watch my favoite charicters go through their lives. It's sort of like visiting an old friend to take your mind off of things. They're also wickedly entertaining. There are usually fast pased stories that always make you want to keep reading. I can't get enough!!!

As for what I read, there's a long list. First there are many mini seires that I have followed from beginning to end, but I'll just mention one "Beware the Creeper" which was amazing. My three favorite books that I can't live without are "THe Uncanny X-Men" "The Avengers" and "The Fantastic Four" I also read the Ultimite of each title. I love "Captin America" "Namore" "Mystique" "Ledgends of the Dark Knight" "Nightwing" and now "Hawkeye" and "Lore" which are both new. so that's 13 regulars, and whatever minnis I'm into.

Looking at this post, I'm now realizing how pathetic I am. It's a sickness. I'm an addict and I don't want to change.
"Sweet crackers I'm blind!!!!" - Stormy