League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

The movie recently came out on DVD and VHS, but I haven't heard much about it especially around here. What do you guys think of it, both as a movie and compared to the comic?

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
Dark Rose Siren
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dark Rose Siren »

i've never read the comic
- but i DID see the movie- & i didnt like it
the only good about it was it had Sean Connery(hes one of my fave actors) in it & thats about it
When barbarians are at the gate, Oh just Let'im in, they're barbarians, they're coming in anyway.
Nights_dreams
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Nights_dreams »

i did go see LXG in theatres, and my expectations werent as high so i actually enjoyed it and put my brain away for the night.
anyways, if you like unrealistic action/fantasy movies... this is the one for you.

oh and yes, rodney skinner is my favorite character... how can you not like him?
Lauren
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Lauren »

Hmmm... i rather liked whoever played Dorian Gray. That was on of my favorite books and I like the way he played him! Plus..he was kinda hot
"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Don't hesitate to call." -Vash the Stampede

"No, you see I'm blind in my right eye now... So boring. You know what really makes me pissy? Grunge, Heroine chic, and dying are over. I so hate being behind the curve. Tourism's up." Brett(Alan Cumming) from Urbania
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

The movie is not that bad, really. Quite entertaining.
BUT the comic-book is, simply put, excellent. If you have to choose between the movie and the comic-book, there is no competition.
:)
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Sorte Springer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Sorte Springer »

In my opinion LXG is the most innovative English languaged comic book that has come out in a long time, in fact since Neil Gaiman made his first appearance in the comic book world.
The concept of brining characters from late 19. century popular fiction together as a group of "super heros" to face 19. century "super villains" is great.
Super hero comic books are in many ways the very essense of popular fiction today. But the whole concept of popular fiction emerges in the late 19. century, as common people become literate, and printing becomes a lot cheaper.
It is, IMHO, a really intelligent aproach to the whole concept of popular fiction to mix the 19. century character into "super hero" plots.
A ve in om de flest æ de bedst eller båre de flest.
- Niels Hausgaard
nightcrawler30
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by nightcrawler30 »

Originally posted by Diablo
The movie is not that bad, really. Quite entertaining.
BUT the comic-book is, simply put, excellent. If you have to choose between the movie and the comic-book, there is no competition.
:)
in most cmoic-movies are like that. i enjoyed it alot . :)
Master of Pupets Pulling your stings twisting your mind and breaking your dreams- Master Of Pupets

The Horsemen are drawing nearer On the leather steeds they ride They have come to take your life.
Dark Rose Siren
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dark Rose Siren »

when i went to see LXG it was by far the WORST movie experence i have ever had thats probly why i disliked it so much
but yes there were some parts i liked- like the Dorian-Mina fight, i also liked the invisible man
When barbarians are at the gate, Oh just Let'im in, they're barbarians, they're coming in anyway.
Lauren
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Lauren »

that was the best when he sneaks up on mina naked in the snow and I think he pinches her ass! that was so funny.
"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Don't hesitate to call." -Vash the Stampede

"No, you see I'm blind in my right eye now... So boring. You know what really makes me pissy? Grunge, Heroine chic, and dying are over. I so hate being behind the curve. Tourism's up." Brett(Alan Cumming) from Urbania