Physics Questions

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Physics Questions

Post by Gaz »

I have so many things i have wondered about different mutants...

How come Cyke's eyelids can withstand the power of the blasts from his eyes?

If the portal that Kurt goes thru is the same as the one that Abyss sucks things into, could Kurt run into or bamf into those things?

Can Bobby control whether the ice he makes is salt or fresh water?

And... and....:die
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
hilowey
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Physics Questions

Post by hilowey »

Can Rogue put herself in a coma?

Can Spyke (or Marrow) make there teeth longer?

What can Kurt do with that tail?:naughty

How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie-roll center of a Tootsie pop?

....the world may never know...
"God sneezed. What could I say to Him?"- Henny Youngman

"In Los Angeles, McDonald's quickly reacted to the highway shootings. They came out with 'Happy To Be Alive Meals'"-Al Clethen

"What was the name of the little boy whose nuts grew every time he told a lie? Pistachio."-Tommy Sledge
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Physics Questions

Post by SheCat »

If Rogue got pregnant (well, if her power was temporarily de-activated) would the baby lose all it's life force? If so, would Rogue be stronger and have memories of the womb?

If Juggernaut (unstoppable) hit Blob (unmovable) what would happen?

How far back does Sage remember from her childhood? All the way?

Shouldn't Remy be able to molecularly activate the air around him? What about liquids?

Is super-strength caused by the tension of muscles, because the super-heroes bodies don't necessarily change to look stronger?

Could Kitty phase all the way through the Earth?

Could Kitty save herself from falling by phasing into the ground? Would she fall all the way through the Earth or would she stop going near the core? Does gravity even affect her?

Can Remy charge a marshmallow? That would be cool...and tasty. Instant marshmallow.

Why can Emma still move if her skin is diamond-hard? What about Diamond Lil? How does she move?

Can Bishop channel energy through anything or just guns? How about PVC?

Can Quiksilver or Northstar do everything at superspeed or just move? Do they think at superspeed?

Why doesn't Angel's acidic puke burn her throat on the way up?

Why does Husk's hair remain when she removes dead skin?
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
"Everything I still want I just now prayed for." -Kreon, Antigone :cry
Viceroy of the Black Tom Appreciation Society
"You act like I know what day of the week it is." ~Patchy
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Physics Questions

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

I can answer a few of these questions. Here goes:

Can Bobby control whether the ice he makes is salt or fresh water?
Salt drops out of solution when water is frozen. Ice is always fresh water.

How come Cyke's eyelids can withstand the power of the blasts from his eyes?
Scott's body is immune to his power, and he is also immune to Havok's as well.

Kitty can only phase as long as she can hold her breath, so I would say no.

Shouldn't Remy be able to molecularly activate the air around him?
Not dense enough, the molecules are too far apart. I don't know about liquids, probably not, but I wouldn't try it with gasoline

Can Remy charge a marshmallow? That would be cool...and tasty.
And handy when you’re out camping, but messy if he happens to throw one at you. :ick
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Physics Questions

Post by LadyErin »

Can Quiksilver or Northstar do everything at superspeed or just move? Do they think at superspeed?

I believe Quicksilver thinks at super-speed and learns that way too, or at least he can. I can't think of anything he couldn't do, although I can think of a couple thingd I wouldn't want him to do that fast:naughty. But if I'm wrong, someone feel free to correct me.
http://lady_erin.livejournal.com
:magneto
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
Want to IM me? U2U me for the screenname.
Beboots
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Physics Questions

Post by Beboots »

Hmm... Well, I was just wondering...

How does Wanda's power work, anyway? :? It was never explained to me... We know it's not magic, despite her codename... I really have no idea what her limits are, either.... :
/ERROR 406: file corrupt:Earth.config/reboot:universe? (Y/N)

:poke

Snape: Nonsense, Harry...I harbor no ill will towards any of my students, you accursed little worm.
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Physics Questions

Post by SheCat »

My Marvel Encyclopedia says Kitty can walk on air. How does that work?

Does Kurt take everything he touches with him or only things he wants to or is holding onto really tight?

Can Pyro be burned?

A bird's wing is actually an extension of the arm. Archangel has arms and wings. What's up with that?

...and a question I've pondered for my fic character...

Can SheCat control inverse points, like notches and grooves? Her power is derived of shockwaves that emanate from her body at a molecular level, which, upon hitting something of a correct molecular structure, can control and compress the molecules inside to make it hyper-tense. Hence "molecular interference". So does it work for notches and other 'inverse points'?
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
CuteLittleBamf
Lubber
Lubber

Physics Questions

Post by CuteLittleBamf »

Hey guys the answers to most of your questions is in a book called The Science of the X-Men by Yaco and Haber. It explains :havok :logan
:icey and uumm alot more.
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Physics Questions

Post by Gaz »

Nifty cool, thanks you guys. I feel better now. Yayness. Who knew so many random questions could be inspired by those comics.

Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Physics Questions

Post by Siona »

In the X2 novel, there was a moment where Siryn lost all control over her powers. Could that ever happen to her and/or her father, Banshee, if they screamed loud or long enough?

How is it that Kitty can become so intangible that she can slide between molecules, but she can actually run and such?

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Physics Questions

Post by Gaz »

If Kurt bamfed into Kitty while she wasn't phasing, would she be able to phase out without a ton of damage if it happened fast enough?

Could Storm electrocute herself?

When Kitty phases through, say, a human, can she actually see the inside of the person while she is going through them?

Couldn't she actually literally rip out a human's heart of other organ by reaching thru them?

TheSpike
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Physics Questions

Post by TheSpike »

About the Iceman thing, he doesn't really crate ice, he just lowers the temperature so much that the water molcules in the air are frozen

Storm: I think it's really bad that the distorted her power that much. I mean, she can control weather, and that DOES NOT include shooting lightning bolts FROM HER HANDS!!!!! I mean, it has nothing to do with weather...:rolleyes:rolleyes

Kitty: Yeah, I think she can
Yeah, maybe she can:LOL
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight,
let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power, Green Lantern's light! "
--Green Lantern's Oath

Inferno (on TV): "BUUUURRRRRRRRN!"
Butt-head: "Hey, Beavis, he said 'burn'."
Beavis: "Yeah! Yeah! 'Burn' is cool! Fire, fire, fire!"
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Physics Questions

Post by SheCat »

On the topic of Magneto...
Can he emit a pulse strong enough to crash every computer in the world? What if HE was Y2K? :eek:smirk

Can Psylocke's knife cut herself?

Could Husk change her eyes to a different substance too? In Uncanny her eyes were white when she was steel...

Storm: annoyingly powerful. But...how far is her radius of power?
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Physics Questions

Post by Siona »

Magneto: Is he powerful enough to actually, say, reverse the Earth's rotation? :shocked

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
sevati
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Physics Questions

Post by sevati »

Originally posted by SheCat
How far back does Sage remember from her childhood? All the way?

Shouldn't Remy be able to molecularly activate the air around him? What about liquids?

Could Kitty save herself from falling by phasing into the ground? Would she fall all the way through the Earth or would she stop going near the core? Does gravity even affect her?

Why doesn't Angel's acidic puke burn her throat on the way up?

Why does Husk's hair remain when she removes dead skin?
If Sage is a 2nd gen mutant whose memory powers have been active since birth, then I'm guessing the answer is yes. But if she manifested in her teenage years, I would say no, she only remembers from then- on. Maybe not even from manitfestation, but instead from when she mastered controlling her power- on.

No. Last time I heard, Remy was only able to charge non-organic matter. Things like steel, playing cards (they're coated with something man-made, not to menion the inks and other chemicals that are used to make them, etc). Air is organic, naturally occuring liquids (water, orange juice, oil) are organic. Manmade crap, like antifreeze.. I don't know. it would be damned hard to charge something in its liquid state, because it will stay on your hand or drip everywhere.. it isn't solid or tangible enough. Remy would get 2nd and 3rd degree burns, yes? Also, throwing a liquid doesn't have the same amount of force as spitting it as a weapon, like Angel and Toad.

Doubtful. It's true she could wear an oxygen tank.. but she can't phase that fast AND she'd eventually loose concentrate and die a horrible crispy death from the earth's core being frelling hot.

I remember in God Loves, Man Kills (95-ish version or reprint), Kitty airwalked up thru the ceiling instead of using the stairs. It's possible she could not change the direction of her falling, but go into the ground and use her airwalking-power to slow her decent until she stops. Then she could walk up and out. She would have to hold her breath though.

Like Scott's body/eyelids are immune to his optic blasts, I'm guessing Angel's body has adapted to her saliva/puke being so acidic. Rogue can't drain herself, Kurt's 1-person ports don't give him naseau (at least now they don't)... there's no use for the power unless you're alive and in decent condition to use it.

Ok.. hair and skin are different things entirely. The ends of your hair are dead, but the follicle that's embedded in your skin is still alive. Go ahead, pull a strand out... it hurts, doesn't it? Now your skin has like seven layers, and only the top one and two are actually dead and shedding cells. Husk only removes a layer of skin. Skin and hair might have similar properties, but they're not linked. Connected, yes.
I've left the board. Friends know where to find me :)
CuteLittleBamf
Lubber
Lubber

Physics Questions

Post by CuteLittleBamf »

Originally posted by sevati
Air is organic
Uuummm….I don’t think oxygen is organic. Organic chemistry is the study of compounds containing carbon. Oxygen exists naturally in the diatomic form of O2 and in the air doesn’t have any carbon in it. Sure it is common in organic molecules (this is a list of the atoms contained in organic molecules from biggest to smallest: Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen, Sulfur, and Phosphorus). Yes the air dose contain organic molecules such as CO2 (carbon dioxide) but there are non-organic things in it. This doesn’t mean I think Gambit can charge it. It’s moving to fast and is too far apart. Charging it would most likely be impossible (Air is always moving around and bouncing off things it’s not cohesive whatsoever). Or if he could, it would be just like what you said about liquids.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Physics Questions

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Air is natural, it is not man made, nor is it processed. I think this is what Megz meant by organic.....
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
sevati
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Physics Questions

Post by sevati »

Originally posted by NachtcGleiskette
Air is natural, it is not man made, nor is it processed. I think this is what Megz meant by organic.....
Yes, yes, occuring naturally in nature. I use organic for descriptions other than my food.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

Physics Questions

Post by Paty »

"mags:
OK...I have been asked to contribute my two cents worth...so here it is. whether it jubes with what Marvel believes, I have no idea...but my mind is far mor logical than anyone at Marvel has been shown to be for a long time.

Magneto is theroretically the most powerful mutant possible on earth. He has already sent a pulse around the earth that knocked out communications and computers en masse...yes he could blow every single computer outta it's plaastic hide.
Magneto could also theoretically, now that his power is supposed to flow easilly without backing up and driving him nuts...something not evident in the latest books... reverse the polarity of the earth or it's spin. why he would want to is anothe question, since it would kill EVERYTHING on the planet..human, mutants, animals plants...everything... If he channelled the electromagnetic power of the sun, he would have the power to do this from outer space. He would not want to be on earth if he actually did this, but he could theoretically do it. He keeps his body in tip top shape because a healthy body is needed for the strains put on it by such power usage. It has, I believe been established that the more energy a power takes to wield, the hungrier you get, having to fuel the body in order to process the energies of your power.
Magneto's power to manipulate electromagnetic fields makes him the only one to be able to touch Rogue while her power is active...and not be harmed. He merely changes the surface vibration of his own skin to match hers. We know her power does not affect her...she does not knock herself out when she scrubs down in the shower, for example...so we can extrapolate that all mutants are immune to their own power. If Magneto can match her vibrations...her "power signature"...which would be a piece of cake for him to do... then he can negate it's effect on him...letting her see or siphon only as much as he wishes her to see or take from him. Thus, if she and Magneto had a child, as I believe they did in AoA...that child would be immune to Rogue's powers by virtue of having her gene structure as part of it's makeup and spending it's formative months inside her body, becoming acclimated to her bio rhythms and electromagnetic vibrations. They truely fudged that one...having the kid react to her...it would not. but then, Marvel editorial, as I have often said, doesn't have a whole brain to share amongs all of them.
The scarlet witch does magick. there is a difference between magic, which is prestidigitation...and real magick. The asses at Marvel do not understand what real magick is. It is a warping of possibilities...that's why it doesn't always work! Wanda warps probabilities and possibilities to make them positives. That's the essence of her power. and it is what real witches do...I ought to know ...I am one. It's easier for her...she's a superdoop! LOL...but the dodos at marvel do not understand this. they make distinction between mutant powers and witchery. There is no such distinction..which i tried to tell them when I was there. They didn't want to hear it. They are fools. We do have mutants of a sort with us today...They are people who have an extra link to their brains that let them so things...whether it is to see things in the past or future, or to 'read" a piece of evidence and tell the cops things otherwise hidden...or actually see the future for someone...these are "powers". Yeah, there are a lot of charletans out there...but there are some real mutants who have real talents, too...it is a logical progression of genetic ability. Some people are just born that way. they either use their powers or they stifle them and don't use them . More's the pity. These talents are not as splashy as superdoops...or mythological abilities...they are difficult to control and very tiring to do. you are absolutely wasted and ravenous after you perform any kind of magickal act...trust me on this. We haven't evolved that far yet...but we are making inroads into what was once fantasy and is more and more likely to become reality inthe future. they are not burning and hanging the genetic pool that is showing these talents any more. Magneto is right...in real history the witches, real mutants within their society...were hunted out and destroyed. Of course, the really good ones never got cautght by the rabid religious nutballs...they went underground and blended in.
The brain is a wonderful organ and we have not tapped even a fraction of it's potential. Now, we may not grow to be magnetos...or Human Torchs...LOL...but we are progressing. There are whole divisions in the military secrets departments of major countries devoted to exploring how to control these talents.
OK...back to superdoops... As I said, all superdoop powers will not harm the wielder of those powers. Can storm electrocute herself or can magneto? no..They channel that kind of energy and it would energize them...as a bolt of lightening did to Magneto once when Storm attacked him. No one has ever explained Storm's full range of power...She controls the winds and humidity, water vapour and temperature changes which produce things like lightening, tornado vortexes and such. Can she create lightening, yes. She manipulates the air molecules to produce the kind of conditions that cause lightning to form...and by controlling the temp/air density/and polarities, she can direct where she wants it to go. her body isn't generating lightneing...she is manipulating the atmosphere to create the conditions favorable for it. If you create conditions that are one hundred percent favorable, you are gonna get lightening...and if you know the conditions that establish what path the lightening takes, then you can dierct it where you want it to go. Obviously, this takes practice...but by the time Xavier had found her, she had a lot of control already extant. The Danger room gave her lots of practice in working with confined air masses, one would suspect.
Did I answer enough questions? did I address the ones you wanted me to?

You gotta remember that Marvel's take on some of this stuff is not logical...They want what they want and don't want to be stymied by logic. But if a power can be logically explained, it becomes more real! Of course, it acquires limitations as logic defines it's boundries, and if they want someone to have power outside the logical boundries, then they don't want to hear the logical boundries. And most of them do not have the wherewithal to think of logical explanations, anyway. Talking to them about logical explanation of powers is like trying to teach a monkey how to fly...It doesn't happen and all it does is annoy the monkey.

Some of the powers mentined I haven't the foggiest about, since I don't read the books that have the characters, so I don't know what they are supposed to do. Angel's acid spit dowsn't hurt her because...???...once again... POWERS DO NOT AFFECT OR HURT THEIR WIELDERS! The only ecxeption to that that I can think of would be an empath...one who could heal by touching a person and absorbing the harm into themselves, leaving the victim's body whole and the empath's body stricken, but able to heal itself...rapidly. A modification of Logan's ability to heal himself, actually...only an empath would heal others...transposing the trauma to themselves to be healed by their own body, while leaving a healthy patient. They need one of them around the mansion, Y'know?

Paty
:mags:
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Physics Questions

Post by Gaz »

That was two cents?!?

just kidding. thanks Paty!

Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Physics Questions

Post by Paty »

Uhhhhh... yeah...wanna try for a dime?
LOLOL
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Physics Questions

Post by Tatu »

..paty...a dime? you never give less than $20 worth of info..and thats why we all love you!
Call me King!
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Physics Questions

Post by Paty »

Hey Tatu... nice Gambit avatar...Yeah.. longwinded, aren't I?
LOL
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
sevati
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Physics Questions

Post by sevati »

Originally posted by Paty
Hey Tatu... nice Gambit avatar...Yeah.. longwinded, aren't I?
LOL
Yes, but that's what we LOVE about you! Too many people on this board post "i dunno, but its cool" or something like that. Ugh. We need our smart several-page-down answers.

Psst... I know you like Rogue with Mags. Let's say we seperate them, you can shove her back at Magneto, and Remy can come be in my lap :naughty. It's currently quite cold and empty. :(

edit- Hmm, Steve? Your lap is empty too? That's funny, I thought you were male. :LOL
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Physics Questions

Post by Tatu »

...everybody please excuse me whilst i cock my head and glare at Sevati :p
Call me King!