Physics Questions

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Physics Questions

Post by Maelstrom »

Paty,

I've had enough personal experiences with "adept abilities" that I find them impossible to ignore, myself. I think that the reason 99% of scientists do not believe in such things as telepathy, remote viewing, healing, TK, precognition, dowsing, and so on is because it isn't 100% accurate or 100% repeatable. "True science" must be 100% replicatable, or else it isn't there. The empirical is all-important. (That, and the charlatans have really shot the entire genre in the foot. 1900s "mediums", fake faith healers, "psychic friends" hotlines.... :ick)

Don't get me wrong: I'm all for the repeatable experience. It keeps the charlatans at bay. It's just that magick and adept abilities work on probabilities, and science doesn't like that. In order for such things to be tested, we'll need to create a new set of testing logics. "Fuzzy logics", one might say. We'd need to work on probabilities and statistics, rather than true/false.

But, then again, do we rreally want to prove the existence of powers? Considering what various world governments and military geniouses would do with said powered individuals? :shocked
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

Physics Questions

Post by Paty »

f:mags:
Now, now, boys...no bitch-wars over Gambit, please....LOLOL

Well, considering these same governments are ...and have been for some while...looking into these "pseudo-sciences" in order to tap their potentialities, I would say THEY believe...just don't want to say anything.

It's the "Roswell" syndrome. Let's not amdmit anything, cuz the hard science people are gonna point fingers and laugh at us...but X Files do exist to some degree in many governments. All very hush hush since no one... except the Regans... wants to be accused of using psychics to ...um... enhance their understanding.

The charlatans do a good job of protecting or camoflaging the real adepts. Because of them, no one takes the true practicioners seriously...which in many ways is good. How would you like to be known as a practicioner and have your movements tracked and recorded? Big Brother is more than just a fictional character. He lives and breathes ...and though he may not torture people with rats to instill mind control, Bro is a part of our lives. That book was bang on! You better believe it.

In any event, it would be tatamount to mutant registration if they found a genetic predisposition to such powers, and started screening for such people by sampling DNA tissues at birth. I actually forsee a time when DNA will be routinely scanned and catalogued in a data base for all newborns. The rationale will be that it will help with runaway children, kidnapped children, paternal and maternal suits and so forth. And this is true...it would. It would also give crime fighters a one upsmanship on crossmatching DNA found at crime scenes to a comprehensive data base that spanned the whole population.Your DNA profile could be used instead of your Social Security number...and could be encoded on birth cirtificates, Death Certigicates Driver's licenses and passports for absolute identification. On the other hand, if people won't want to be IDd for any reason, it could be a very tricky thing. We already have photo IDs on driver's licenses, passports and the like.Imagine Dna readouts on such documents...it would help marvelously to identify remains found anywhere in the world if you could extract DNA and scan it and come up with a perfect match from a comprehensive database.

at the same time, there would be NO privacy from the all seeing eye of the government. and, personally, I don't trust any government with that kind of power. Power corrupts...absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Maybe that's what Morrison is trying to say with this latest arc of X Men. But I do not give that walking, talking rectum credit for such astute thought. It is beyond his fragmented brain, I think. He is the proverbial monkey sitting in a room with a typewriter and managing, somehow, to type out a scriipt. You can read it...but bugger all if it makes any sense.

But I digress...LOL...I occasionally DO that...

Yes, there are "powers" amongst us...always have been. In the past, people who exhibited them were hunted down and, unless they could be made to work for those in power, killed. Can't have wild cards running around out there, now can we? Power wielders went underground and are mostly still there. They don't want to be known. They do their "thing" without interference and supervision and "mutant registration" thank you very much. And rightly so. As you pointed out so succinctly, what the governments of the world would do with such talent is scarey.

paty
:mags:
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
:magneto
Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Physics Questions

Post by Nightcrawler ZERO »

My family seems to have a complete disregar for the Laws of Gravity- at least for brief periods of time. Here's my story, and my sister's story (She goes by the internet alias Nimbuschick)

Nightcrawler ZERO's Story
Ocassionally, my Boy Scout Troop has run into scheduling conflicts with the church that sponsors us, and we have to find alternate meeting places. On one such occasion, we decided to have a "Games and Sports Night" at Camp Dudley, a privately owned forest area. We were playing a game of soccer, when I was struck in the head by the ball, and was thrown into the air. When I landed, I felt that something was wrong- and i soon found out what. The ten other scouts came running up to me, saying "Dude- you pulled a Matrix!"- I had stopped in midair for a two seconds, before gravity took effect.
Nimbuschick's Story
It was my 16th birthday party. We were all up in the hot tub and my crazy friend Laurel decided she wanted to see how the pool was. A few of my friends went downa nd went part way in and some were tanning. The hot tub was 103 degrees... the pool was just 60. So they call me over and being a dumb underclassman I decide it's ok to go hang out, I'm just the birthday girl they wouldn't do anything. As soon as I get onto the deck two grab me by the arms and chuck me in. I just thought, "COLD WATER NO!" and swung my feet around to try and land on the other side
My toes gripped the edge of the deck and I pulled myself up about 6 inches according to witness acounts before I snapped back to reality and fell into the water... damn cold.
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Physics Questions

Post by LadyErin »

Whoa! That's pretty cool! I have to admit my family (well, most of the females) have a kinda sixth sense about the future, not only do we 'dream' things that actually happen-normally within one to three days, sometimes a little longer-but we also have a...well...we call it a "danger sense" that alets us to danger, trama, or something bad-such as a feeling to hit the brakes-and then we find that in doing so, we avoided a cash, or not going somewhere to find something happened-like someone died. It's freaky.

And then when get into my sister's and my connection with ghost/spirts/something-not all of them friendly-one that downright wanted me dead (still does) well...but then, maybe that's just living in a haunted house for all but four years of my life.
http://lady_erin.livejournal.com
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
Want to IM me? U2U me for the screenname.
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Physics Questions

Post by SheCat »

My family is blessed with incredible memory, especially me. Not Sage-level, but close. Anything I take the time to remember I usually will. To be or not to be, that is the question, whether tis nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune or to take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing end them, to die, to sleep! All from reading the play once.

Okay, so Remy charges non-organic matter, why did he charge a stone in X-Treme X-Men Invasion arc? Or the metal needles in the Destiny arc?
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
"Everything I still want I just now prayed for." -Kreon, Antigone :cry
Viceroy of the Black Tom Appreciation Society
"You act like I know what day of the week it is." ~Patchy
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
Bamf_Girl
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Physics Questions

Post by Bamf_Girl »

I thught they said non-organic matter? But yeah, the whole women having that sixth sense thing, dude i got it too. I can usually judge a person by the vibes I get off of them. Its kinda hard to explain, but I've never been wrong in my life and it's saved my piddly life a couple of times too, nothing like working with a Satan worshiper who thought about using you as a sacrafice... and I'm not joking here.
I am the Terrible Toad King!
Yes you are!
W'o the 'ell are you?
Your Terrible Toad Queen of course

TOAD FANS UNITE!

*Jumps up and down* I'm OMWOS! If I RP with ya, drop me a line!
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Physics Questions

Post by LadyErin »

Wow, Bamf_Girl, I'm glad you are ok. And really-no joke, I dreamed the answers up on a test that I was worried about-the right answers, I dreamed the will hand in a card game, about something that happened in class-all days ahead of time. And mind you-that haunted house thing is serious. We have a little girl who is very sweet, an old lady who looks out for my sister and I (she looks out for the girl too, even moving things that a child shouldn't play with) and something that wants me dead. Glad I haven't felt him in a while.
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Physics Questions

Post by SheCat »

Keep careful, LadyErin. You never know what they'll do.

On-Topic
I've always wondered how Wolvie can bend his wrist. Do his claws liquify or something? They're like a frikken foot long! How, if they come outta his knuckles and are about twele inches, can he bend his wrist? Deathstrike I can understand, in the movie hers looked like they were telescopic or something so they could slip into each other, one section at a time. But Wolvie's don't look telescopic or anything, they just look flat. SO HOW THE HECK DO THEY FIT IN THERE?!?!
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
"Everything I still want I just now prayed for." -Kreon, Antigone :cry
Viceroy of the Black Tom Appreciation Society
"You act like I know what day of the week it is." ~Patchy
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Physics Questions

Post by Maelstrom »

His claws retract so far that they house themselves in the forearm, which is easily long enough to accomidate them. They end before his metacarpals (the "wrist bones" ), so he has no intereference with his wrist movements. When they shoot out, they shoot past his metacarpals, so no interference there, either.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Physics Questions

Post by LadyErin »

Thanks SheCat, I plan too. He (it feels male-looks kinda male too) scared the snot of out my sister last time he was here...

OT: Maybe a dumb question but-with quicksilver, northstar, his sister (name escapes me...) and isn't there another speedster? Another girl? Ok-sorry, well, what keeps their intal organs form bleeding? Cause if you are going (for example) 100 MPH then so are you insides-stop and they still are so they hit your body wall and boom! So, umm...any theories?
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Physics Questions

Post by taekwondodo »

Another big question with super speed would be how the heck thick/tough/or whatever is their skin to be able to withstand the punishment of moving at those kinds of speeds. Simple wind resistance at a couple hundred miles an hour (or faster, apparently) would be brutal on human tissue (especially eyes, how dry would they get?). How about when pebbles fly up off the road, or running into a mosquito at mach 1? I imagine they must have super tough skin to some extent, so maybe that would extend to internal organs as well. If this is, indeed, the case, wouldn't that amount to Quicksilver essentially having armour? So, is he noticably difficult to hurt? (I'm still working my way through the "Essential X-Men" and haven't seen him or Wanda yet.)
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Physics Questions

Post by Gaz »

Well they could have specially developed muscle around their bodies that tighten when they move fast and stop so that the organs are jolted, kind of like the muscle that the woodpecker has between its skull and brain to keep it's brain from getting bruised when it pecks holes in trees and such.
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Physics Questions

Post by Nightcrawler ZERO »

Ok-

When Emmas frost, Husk, Or Colossus turn inyyo hard materials, how do they still move?
Dracadancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Physics Questions

Post by Dracadancer »

Well with Husk's transitional bodimorphing ability she just alters the submolecular structure of her body underneath her skin. Since her epidermis isn't that thick when she sheads it I'm assuming it's thin enough when she's transformed to allow her to move. And often times when she transforms into some type of stone there are breaks in the rock to allow for movment. Colossus is easy though, he's plated when he's in steel form and it's his whole body that's transformed to metal and not just his skin. As long as all his muscles and organs are in the regular divisions they usually are he should be able to move with the same limitations as he normaly has in non steel form. Plus it's suppose to be organic steel that he transforms into, which brings up Emma also. Emma's a lot like Hush in the fact that it's only her skin that is transformed when she uses her secondary mutantion to transform into organic diamond. I'm assuming, and this is just a SWAG here, that since it's "organic" diamond that she transforms into her skin is composed of somewhat moveable cells, like your own skin that's made up of many different cells that cohear together to form a layer but still allow you to strech the skin over your muscles. The cells probably break apart and come together as needed for movement to occur. That can relate to Husk and Peter too I'm guessing.
###Dracadancer's Lair### ---> Your all purpose website

Random Quote of the Week: "Reports that say that something hasn’t happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns, there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don’t know we don’t know."
This year’s winner of the Foot in the Mouth award Donald Rumsfeld
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Physics Questions

Post by LadyErin »

Ok-question that got raised by a friend and I-and since we have no money to do the resreach ourselves-How did Xavier's telepathy make his hair fall out? And why?
Bamf_Girl
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Physics Questions

Post by Bamf_Girl »

It... made his hair... fall out? Maybe Cerebro fried it... *Runs away and hides*
I am the Terrible Toad King!
Yes you are!
W'o the 'ell are you?
Your Terrible Toad Queen of course

TOAD FANS UNITE!

*Jumps up and down* I'm OMWOS! If I RP with ya, drop me a line!
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Physics Questions

Post by Maelstrom »

Um... I have a really hard time believing his hair fell out "because" of his telepathy. Occam's Razor states that the most obvious answer is generally the right one. In this case, the Prof has male-pattern-baldness, just like 95% of other bald men out there. I knew one poor guy whose hairline was receeding in High School! :bawl
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Physics Questions

Post by Gaz »

Couldn't Xavier use any part of his power to make his legs work? Or would that just be telekinesis?.... Doesn't that mean Jean could make them work...? Confoosion....
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Physics Questions

Post by LadyErin »

Originally posted by Maelstrom
Um... I have a really hard time believing his hair fell out "because" of his telepathy. Occam's Razor states that the most obvious answer is generally the right one. In this case, the Prof has male-pattern-baldness, just like 95% of other bald men out there. I knew one poor guy whose hairline was receeding in High School! :bawl

But I thought Xavier was already blad-fully bald-in high school and that's early for MPB-and I thought I read somewhere that his power did cause it..i don't know...:?
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Physics Questions

Post by Maelstrom »

Originally posted by Gaz
Couldn't Xavier use any part of his power to make his legs work? Or would that just be telekinesis?.... Doesn't that mean Jean could make them work...? Confoosion....
Originally, Xavier's legs were crushed in an accident. I guess he just narrowly escaped having them amputated, which is the usual thing that happens with crushed bones. In any case, they couldn't support his weight anymore. This is the reason why Xavier can still sit upright and lean forward in his chair. When someone is truly paraplegic (i.e., paralyzed from the waist down), their muscles don't work at all, and they can't balance on their own like that. His muscles work somewhat, at least enough for balancing.

In order for things to truly be "physics correct", Xavier's legs should be emaciated twigs. When you can't use muscles, they atrophy, even with physical therapy. (Without PT, the joints lock up, which is even worse.) However, that's a pretty disturbing sight, so I can understand why no comic artists wanted to draw that.

And as for anything helping him walk:

1) Xavier isn't a telekinetic. He had no way of forming some sort of "TK exo-suit" around him to help walk. Telepathy might be able to shut the pain off, but it doesn't do anything to physically strengthen mangled limbs.

2) He could have used crutches and leg braces instead of a wheelchair. In this case, I think it was personal preference.

3) Jean might have been able to help him walk, but then you get into the issue of mobility and dependence. This is one of the reasons why Xavier uses a wheelchair instead: it gives him a measure of independence and self-mobility. Few things are more degrading than being utterly dependent on someone, and being utterly dependent to walk is about as demoralizing as you can get. The wheelchair would be infinitely preferable to both Jean and Xavier in this instance.

Originally, when Xavier was first "regenerated" after the X-Men's fight with The Brood, he had a whole body, but he still couldn't walk. There was some sort of mental, psychosomatic block against it that he had to go through. It took a long time before he could actually walk on his own.
Originally posted by LadyErin
But I thought Xavier was already blad-fully bald-in high school and that's early for MPB-and I thought I read somewhere that his power did cause it..i don't know...
Yeah, High School is awful early for MPD, tho it does happen sometimes. More likely, instead of his telepathy "causing" it, I'll bet the MPD was accellerated by the mutant gene that caused his telepathy to blossom. In this case, it's not so much the power itself causing the MPD as it is a linked condition.
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Physics Questions

Post by LadyErin »

Originally posted by MaelstromIn order for things to truly be "physics correct", Xavier's legs should be emaciated twigs. When you can't use muscles, they atrophy, even with physical therapy. (Without PT, the joints lock up, which is even worse.) However, that's a pretty disturbing sight, so I can understand why no comic artists wanted to draw that.
I'll go talk again with the PT Professor again, but from what she has told me (I've brought this up a couple times) that if he had daily PT (or twice a day-morning and evening, which is even better) the muscles would atrophy but not nearly that much-and not so much that his legs wouldn't look normal, if under developed.

Yeah, High School is awful early for MPD, tho it does happen sometimes. More likely, instead of his telepathy "causing" it, I'll bet the MPD was accellerated by the mutant gene that caused his telepathy to blossom. In this case, it's not so much the power itself causing the MPD as it is a linked condition.
Ok, that makes much more sense. I can see that happening.