Online jargon

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Booker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Online jargon

Post by Booker »

This has been nagging at me for a bit. I'm fairly new to the whole Marvel fandom, and I see reoccuring web-jargon that I can't for the life of me figure out what it means.

I've figured out several of them just by osomosis, but there are two that I can't get. When reffering to the different universes, what does "616" and "Canon" mean? And if there's any other jargon I should know, that would be nice. It sucks to be a newbie. :dead:
Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksman
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Online jargon

Post by Nandireya »

From what I can gather...'616' refers to the TRUE Marvel Universe...the original one...to differentiate it from all the 'alternate' ones...Exiles for example, is NOT set in the 616 universe, nor are the places they visit...

'Canon' refers to official stuff too...official comic stuff...X-Men: Evolution is not considered Canon...even though it IS official Marvel stuff...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Online jargon

Post by Bamfette »

yup, 616 comes from the Captain Britain series where the universe was named for the first time. each universe or reality in the multiverse is assigned a number, the one all the stories in the core books takes place in is 616. i guess the name stuck even tho it came form a rather obscure comic within the Marvel Universe :p
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Online jargon

Post by Nandireya »

Yeah...that's what I thought...the Captain Britain Corp always refered to him as 'Captain Britain 616' in Excalibur...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
ces
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Online jargon

Post by ces »

Well... Technically Evolution is canon as well... Or not... (it depends of your point of view)

ces' definition of canon: what comes out from the Powers That Be (more or less all officials)

So I think in this case it's better to talk about the universes (for example 616) than saying it's canon - it doesn't say much, except that it isn't a fanfic or so...
:lockheed into Uncanny! :austen
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Online jargon

Post by Garble »

Usually "Canon" when used with "X-Men: Evolution" is meant to sepparate what is established in the cartoon with fan-fiction universes.
"Canon" just means "Traditional" or "Established"

And speaking of jargon...
http://jongrieve.net/toys/jargon/default.taf?def=bamf
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Online jargon

Post by little Blue Lucy »

For that case, I'm quite partial to canon! All in all too I prefer the 616 universe, with the big exception of eXiles!
Vala: "Hello."
Daniel: "What the hell are you doing here?"
Vala: "Isn't this my room?"
Daniel: "Noooo… your room is across the hall… with the… guard in front of it."
Vala: "Ah yes, they do all rather look alike don't they? Anyhow, Since I'm here, shall we make the best of it?"
Daniel: "No, we shalln't."
Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member #11 :engarde

:respectnc and they'll respect you, back.