DAYS OF FUTURE PAST

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

DAYS OF FUTURE PAST

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

So, I think it is about time there is a thread about the upcoming X-Film...

News thus far: James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, and Nicholas Hoult are coming back. Also, It is confirmed that this movie will deal with time travel because Patrck Stewart and Iam McKellen are also reprising their roles as Prof X and Magneto. Hugh Jackman is in talks as well. Bryan Singer is directing. Script is getting ironed out. Filming begins in April.

A few things I am interested in: I know it won't follow the 1981 storyline to a T, but how many liberties will they take? X is dead in the current storyline, but many not in this one. Maybe Robert Kelly never died in X-Men. It raises alot of questions on recasting and completely throwing out the existing storyline in the films for an alternate future that must be stopped... I like the idea... But they can't COMPLETELY throw out some things, like the age of previously introduced characters and the like (w.r.t. the future year).

Alot of potential for a great page to screen adaptation. I think that is why X-2 worked so well... it was a completely different story that was based on "God Loves, Man Kills". So Stryker wasn't a preacher, but a general. Social eradication vs safety concerns. little differences that made it unique while familiar.

Personally, I think Kelsey Grammer should reprise Beast and Rebecca Romijn should reprise Mystique. just to round out the cast of First Class and the cast of the original trilogy. Also, Cable is nice choice, as well as Bishop. Characters from the future are perfect to introduce in this film. And Nightcrawler, of course. Complete change up of character, due to alternate timeline. Get that Mystique/Nightcrawler interaction...

I am obviously really excited about this film... Too excited... July 18, 2014 cannot come soon enough!
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Re: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Maybe Robert Kelly never died in X-Men. It raises alot of questions on recasting and completely throwing out the existing storyline in the films for an alternate future that must be stopped... I like the idea... But they can't COMPLETELY throw out some things, like the age of previously introduced characters and the like (w.r.t. the future year).
Originally Singer said that X-Men First Class could function as a prequel if that's what you wished or as a reboot if that's what you preferred instead.

NOW, Marvel is reversing that statement and somewhere in Brevoort's formspring and in Joss Whedon's page, they were saying that First Class served as a complete reboot.

I too am holding hope that Nightcrawler will return and I love Kelsey Grammer for Beast but I'm not holding my breath.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

The reason I say it can't be a complete reboot is the fact they are bringing back Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen. Normally reboots entail completely new casts... or maybe this this is like nothing we have ever seen before... like a hybrid? Change what didn't work while building upon what did... I can dig that I guess.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Or they just love the roles so damn much, and why turn down the perfect actors?

I think your best bet is a hybrid but solely for good ticket numbers.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

They are pretty damn perfect... I think Beast and Mystique were well cast originally as well. I hope to see a blast from the past in this upcoming film... Definitely going to be Sentinals though... if not, than it's garbage...
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

I wouldn't mind seeing Nightcrawler recast if he makes it in. Also, I'm psyched about this, because as overused as Wolverine can be, Hugh Jackman is still the *perfect* Wolverine (if a bit tall, ok, a lot tall).

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=42405
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I really like Alan Cumming, but a recast is definately in order... Plus, remove the scars and make him funnier! I mean, as funny as an apocolyptic future Nightcrawler can be...

I think that Wolverine is as essential to Days of Future Past as Kitty Pryde is, and I doubt that she will be in the film. He is overused, but some ascpect of the original story should be retained...
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Okay... I'm gonna do it.

Who do we want to play Nightcrawler? (Pretending he's going to be in this).
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Are we talking older or younger?

Older, I have to go with Tim Blake Nelson. 48 years old, compact physique, funny, charming, and kinda funny looking. His voice has an odd inflection to it, but that may work with the German accent. I loved him in O Brother Where Art Thou.

Younger, I don't really know... after looking at a 30 under 30 list, I would be happy with:

Freddie Highmore- from the new Charlie & Choco Factory, he's 18 now. British. Attractive, but not too attractive.
Michael Angarano- from Sky High, he already has experience playing a hero. Thin face, small build.
Jamie Bell- also British, played a teleporter in Jumper. Not my fav though...
Gaspard Ulliel- played Hannibal in Hannibal Rising. He is very slim and French. 28 years old.
Jay Baruchel- 30. Canadian. Starred in "She's out of My League". Kinda tall though
Anton Yelchin- from Star Trek. Born in Russia. Small guy. Good actor
Logan Lerman- from Percy Jackson. 20. Can play charming and goofy.

What do you think?
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I would say if we're going older, Christopher Eccleston. I don't know if being the bad guy in the new Thor film is going to prevent that, but hopefully that can work out.

Younger? Someone tall, acrobat framed, and mostly unheard of.

For in between those two? I would say Cillian Murphy is nice. I don't know if he has the shape of the face for it, but he seems well enough. And yeah, Anton Yelchin is amazing that's a great choice.

There's easily a slew of people from the Game of Thrones cast who could play him.

I hear Andrew Lincoln of Walking Dead fame does a mean German accent.

Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I tried to pick some who hasn't already been in a Marvel movie...

Andrew Lincoln is awesome on the Walking Dead! He could probably pull it off.

And Nightcrawler is only 5' 9" and he is always hunched over, so I thought he should be a little shorter. But, if Hugh Jackman is any indication, the castin directors aren't too concerned with height... :)
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

So I know I said I am not the biggest fan of the way Nightcrawler was portrayed in X-2, both physically and personality-wise. Alan Cumming was a great choice though. Which is why this excites me...

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2012/12/11/al ... ler-x-men/

Alan does not expect to come back, but he WANTS to! I already tweeted Bryan Singer, and alot of people are doing the same. We need to get his attention! This opens up the doors for continuity to stay relevant, find out what happens to him after X-2 (I don't like the video game explanation), and have him appeal to Mystique as she is beginning to side with Magneto.

If I wasn't excited before... I am now!!!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

It seems that Wolverine is officially part of the new film.

As played by Hugh Jackman. ;)

Bryan Singer's twitter feed:
"I would officially like to welcome @RealHughJackman to the cast of #Xmen Days of Future Past. Very excited! More to come..."
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Good. Some stories don't need Wolverine, but this one does... I love how he always says "More to come", as to keep you on edge for more info
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Could Shawn Ashmore be returning as Iceman?

And it looks like Famke Janssen wants in on this too.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Hugh Jackman joked that every actor in a superhero movie ever will be in this film. Sounds that way thus far, lol.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Page, Ashmore, & Paquin all confirmed to be returning.

Can I just say finally!! The X-Movie I've been waiting for!!
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

My question is... if Rogue lost her powers in X3, what good is she in this movie? Also, we need Colossus if we have Kitty. But I guess they are going to exploit that Kitty-Bobby-Rogue love triangle from the trilogy. And C-Mon! We need Nightcrawler to offset Azazel and Mystique! Ahh!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

I've seen two versions of the end of X-3, one where she took the cure and one where she didn't... either way, the end of the movie clearly showed that even though Magneto was dosed his powers were returning.

It is quite cool to see so many characters returning for this... While it would be cool to see Nightcrawler on the big screen again, I'm not a big fan of how he was portrayed in X-2. For consistency though, it would make sense to keep him the same in appearance... though I wouldn't be opposed to a recast.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Hear here. I do believe Magneto is much more powerful than Rogue, so naturally his mutation would overcome the cure. Then again, he did take a larger dose than Rogue... so who knows? One thing I did not like about the trilogy was how Rogue was never all that, with the flight and invulnerability and whatnot. Wouldn't that be an awesome (however non-canon) way of her overcoming the serum? Like a secondary mutation type of thing? Or maybe she touches someone/thing that just explodes inside her. That would be cool to see.

Also, I Like the actor choice of Nightcrawler, but was not a huge fan of the writers going almost entirely the religious route. If he does come back, I would enjoy a bit of a lighter side of Kurt. Flirting with Storm or tail-jousting or anything. Recast is not a bad thing, but it is important to retain some aspects of the original movie NC for continuity purposes.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Even more from Singer!
"...We get to bring both casts together.”

Singer revealed he turned to other directors and films to help figure out the science behind the sequel’s prominent time-travel elements. “We’ve cracked it in a way that it makes sense,” he said. “I had a two-hour conversation with James Cameron about time travel, string theory, multiverses and all that. You have to create your rules and stick wtih them. That’s why Terminator and Back To The Future work so well. And there are certain mechanisms in X-Men, certain powers, perceptions and characters, that make this possible.”
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

So, in recent interviews with the Huffington Post and others, Singer has discussed many new topics including Storm, CGI, and the one and only NIGHTCRAWLER!! You can find them online, but roughly, he said that he has both characters up in the air to join the cast, but neither wants to confirm nor deny them at this time. I don't want him to just add characters for cameos or useless roles (although Wolverine's one-liner was pretty priceless), but at the same time I am dying for a reprise! Also, He has teased a CGI character, and some have speculated Nightcrawler as said character. I am not entirely sure about being in favor of that, but I will say CGI has become so advanced that it is sometimes hard to tell... who knows? All I know is that I am very excited to hear news as it come out. I don't care about the minor details. Hell, I don't care if they kill off half the characters they are bringing back because, honestly, it acts as an alternate timeline. If the First Class can achieve their goal in the "past", then none of the shown future exists. AGH! SO PUMPED!!!
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Peter Dinkage of Game of Thrones has been cast! But for whom? Puck is my guess, but with Singer's talk of a CGI character, it could be anyone!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

BAMFING_BOB YOU'RE BLOWING MY MIND!!
An actor is an actor, no matter his size!

Can you imagine if he got Trask?!

I can see him as Puck, being Puck made a come-back recently in the comics... but I think hiring a short actor as a short character is selling his acting ability a little... well, short.

If he could voice-over a character that'd be fantastic. Not sure who he'd play... but I'd watch. Maybe he'll be the voice of Master Mold?
They seem pretty sure that he's Trask. I think I'd watch that.

I like that Singer isn't afraid to change any mistakes made since his absence.
And he's not afraid to announce he's doing it.
Some would argue it's egotistical, I say it's confidence. As we predicted, he's using this as a total retcon.

He can't stop interviewing about it... it's only a matter of time until he slips something out...
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I totally dig what he is doing by announcing characters little by little and only letting little details slip at a time. Keeps everyone on edge waiting for more. Then, when filming hits in April... nothing till next super bowl when they will no doubt reveal a trailer or something...