Comic Shop Treasures

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Comic Shop Treasures

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So I finally realized that there is no thread for this, which is a total shame.

So here it is, the COMIC SHOP TREASURES thread!

See, once in awhile you go to a comic book sale or you get a bunch of grab bags 'cause you're feeling crazy and want to feel financial guilt later. Sometimes you're walking around consignment stores and find oodles of classic comics and you just HAVE TO SHARE WITH THE WORLD!!

So... The G/F (who works at a consignment store called "SAVERS" here in RI) found a WHOLE STACK of awesome comics! She looked them up online, nothing really over 5-7$ but you know what? They're still gold.

-Incredible Hulk VS Quasimodo (Yes this exists). Believe it or not, Hulk is in the damn bell tower, fighting a humungo sized hunchback swinging from the rafters. Classic.

-Balder The Brave #1 (No idea what this is... pretty fun cover though. Marvel.)

-Beauty & The Beast 4 Part Limited Series... (appears to be Beast, Dr. Doom, and Dazzler. Guess who's the Beast?)

-Marvel official Comic Book adaptation of Return of the Jedi. (The colors, how they bleed!)

-Dr. Strange #57 & #58

-Marvel's DOCTOR WHO!! Featuring TOM BAKER DOCTOR!! AAAHHH!!!

-Marvel's The Jack of Hearts

-Excalibur #67 featuring the (i'm assuming introduction of?) the X-Terminators.

-Storm & Illyana MAGIK 4-parter

-Iceman 4-parter

-Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends (#1... how is this only worth 7$?)

What are some fun books you've found?
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Re: Comic Shop Treasures

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

It happened again.

Found a ton of New 52 comics at SAVERS. Seems like someone chucked the issues they didn't like.
Goldmine? Yesh.

I discovered Swamp Thing and Animal Man aren't terrible, Swamp Thing being the superior of the two. I can see how Lemire's Animal Man gets a lot of credit from the artsy (indy?) folks. It has a very strong sense of "This book doesn't belong in the same line-up as The Justice League". From the ludicrous storyplot (which is fun but ludicrous) to the ... (proper choice of words here)... Interesting? artwork, this book is made for a very special demographic. Might I even say, clique.
Swamp Thing however; an engaging story plot with interesting drama, and I only got the first 3 issues. You may feel lost at first, but they help you along very well.

Captain Atom #'s 1-3 were boring to say the least. I am waiting for something to happen that isn't the protagonists fault, or someone to go up to him and say "I am your antagonist". So far it's been a lot of dribble.

Blue Beetle #'s 1-5 are pretty good, but not amazing. A little space-age for me (I've never been into the space stuff) but it's not deprived of Earth-Based-Action... But I can see now what Ben 10 creators strongest inspiration was! LOL!

Green Lantern #'s 1-5 was... Nice. It was nice that it didn't focus so much on Hal and instead focused on Sinestro's re-entering of the Corps. It was NICE that Kyle Raynor wasn't in it, it was NICE that the story moved so quickly... but it wasn't great.

Demon Knights #'s 1-5 which was fun, wonderfully removed from everything else DC canon, but overall not a title I would flock to in anything but trades (or damn near free).

Astonishing X-Men #45 which was the 2nd part of the Alternate Timeline characters conceived by Greg Pak. It's fun. Widdle Nightcrawler is so sad.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I recently went to a comic shop in Indiana (the only thing I have in Odessa is Hastings...) and found a comic I have wanted for a while but never wanted to get online... UXM 204. Light, Camera, Murder!- What happened to Nightcrawler? It's a great comic. two bucks. :)

Also, this comic store had all twelve Secret Wars!! The owner would only sell the complete set and I didn't have the money... I really wish I would had bought them. Debt vs happiness... hmm... Feeling quite a bit of regret about now... oh well, too late now.

And I have a question for Ult_Sm86: How was AXM 45? Because That storyline (Exalted) is the precursor to the new X-Treme X-Men cast (including "widdle" nightcrawler) which I am PUMPED for. I was thinking about buying the TPB of the storyline once I'm not broke as hell.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

It's fun. My favorite part about it? Is it's different.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

definately need to get that then...