The Walking Dead - just the book

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

So I've read The Walking Dead from issue one, and while I know the book is getting a lot of love, I don't see that much discussion about it or very many reviews- which I think is odd because the letters section seems to indicate there is indeed a lot to discuss.

Anyone here as into this book as I am?
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

I really like the tv series but I haven't read the book. I'd like to, though.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Do read the book. While the TV series has been pretty faithful so far and the actors are wonderful, the book is always better. And you can't support your LCS by watching a TV show, anyway.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I've read the first volume, and have wanted to read the rest since.

There's so much now though, it's almost daunting.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I'd been surprised at how easy it is to jump in compared to a lot of books. The Walking Dead Survivors Guide is also a good way to get completely caught up on every single character living or otherwise.

Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

I love the book - I've been reading it for years but since I wait for the trades I'm always behind. Okay, way behind... two or three trades behind, I think. The more Rick goes through, the less I can identify with him, but some of the other characters are my real favorites. Of course, some of my favorites are dead now... and some of my other favorites might be dead by the time I catch up!
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Story and character is all well and good, but I also love the art in these books. The choice to do this book in black and white is so bold. I love the modern take on what is really a very old school art comic look. I was drawn in as much or more by the artwork.

We have a few Walking Dead original pages on our walls.

-e
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

http://smartalexsays.blogspot.com/2011/ ... ilers.html

I also like black and white comic artwork, but I don't pretend the reasons are entirely artistic. Sure, it's stark. It's bold. It's also cheaper to print. :shifty Seriously, though, they really make it work so well, it's easy to even forget it's in black and white.

As for favorite characters, what I like best about The Walking Dead is that they're all pretty well fleshed out. (Pun not intended.) Also, when one character I like is acting like an idiot (say, Abraham), one or two others may make up for it by being really cool, like lately Andrea and Glenn. I especially like how Glenn has grown as a character.

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Finally picked up Volume 2! Can't wait to read it!

I love this art! Ange, (and anyone else who is reading this thread), did you know the artist is doing the art for Remender's "VENOM" series?

If you haven't read it yet, it's tremendous. Drastically different from how the character has been written before, especially 'cause his new host is FLASH THOMPSON!!! Spider-Man's #1 fan!

Anyways, I digress,

this series so far has been a wild-ride, I can't wait to catch up to Volume (what're they on now?) 15(?). It's gonna be great. I'm told the series gets a little more unbelievable after Volume 6 or so though, you begin to doubt how Rick has kept it together for so long after "everything that happens".

I don't wanna know what the "everything" is, but I'll just say this... I don't know how they're gonna get out of the next jam, and I'm only 3 pages into vol. II!!

:?

==EDIT FOR GLORY==

Just burned through the 2nd Volume in about one hour. It was fantastic.

[Edited on 20/10/11 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

I'm still behind on the comics, just up to graphic novel no. 11, but I've seen the resolution of The Governor's story. He's such an evil, reprehensible, nasty, perverted, horrible, wonderful bad guy.

So I decided to get The Rise of the Governor (I had an audible.com credit, woo!). Haven't finished it yet, but so far... not bad! The co-writer obviously tried to class up the writing with a thesaurus, but the story itself is good, in-canon fare.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Re: The Walking Dead - just the book

Post by Angelique »

Looks like I'll have to run behind on this title, given recent events IRL. I've dropped every title on my pull list for the time being, but I hope someone here might be able to help me keep up.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So I just bought Volume 4.

What a great read 3 was. Very disappointed they haven't brought the Prison into the show yet, but they kept a lot of the elements/sideplots. Not much hope for that coming up in the show now, unless they bring in Tyreese.

Without any major spoilers, (a simple yes or no can work), is Tyreese still in the series?
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

That'd be a nooo.

I reread a couple of my trade last night (I blame you, Bman) and it makes me want to go get a couple more to get closer to caught up. I need 11 next.

Also, it reminded how bleak the series gets at times. But still good. Damn you, Kirkman!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I am saddened by this.

Is Rick going to become Y the Last Man?

But just Y the Last ANYTHING.