A Marvel Guy Rates The New 52

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

A Marvel Guy Rates The New 52

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Talk about a bias.

Marvel Zombies (as many people call strict-Marvel-fans, within Geekdom) are notorious for bashing DC on thing such as re-vamped continuities, really wide scopes for focuses for character comics, and for unrelenting fear of doing anything against the "fans" (or rather, the loudest voices, not necessarily the heaviest group of readers, as proven with 'Blackest Night', IMO).

BUT, this guy goes out of his way to re-assess everything he knows about DC as DC, arguably, does the same.

This is the 3rd week review and here's a portion of it:

[quote]
Wonder Woman
What Made Me Try It: Cliff Chiang is amazing, and I had fond but very dim memories of Lynda Carter being one of the first superheroes I saw on TV. Everyone seems to agree that there is greatness in Wonder Woman, and she should be right up there with Batman and Superman. The prospect of seeing her finally get her shot was exciting.

What I Knew Before I Bought It: Everything I ever knew about Wonder Woman, I last thought about in 1979. I’ve seen her pop up in other books, but I’ve never read anything with her name on the cover. I had no baggage or information, and did not know her origin story; they could have told me anything about her and it would have been A-OK by me.

What I Thought About It: Mr. Azzarello, pretend for a moment that I don’t know anything about mythology, history, or comics, and just tell me what the hell is going on. I don’t know what this was, but it was not a #1 issue. Wonder Woman is Amazon royalty from an island, if I remember correctly, but I don’t remember it from seeing it come up at all in this first issue of her brand new start-from-scratch comic for new readers. Everyone on earth knows what a Batman is, and Snyder still took the time– just in case– to introduce all the Robins and tell us Bruce Wayne’s parents were killed when he was little. But this…. Who is this Diana? Why doesn’t she like being called “Wonder Woman
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS