The New Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Just got the first two of Eastman's new run on The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and I gotta say...

Wow.

HOLY COW. This is a great read. Anyone else get it?

Stars of with a very grizzly outlook and a nice, genuine, refresher to catch up new fans or old ones who may have forgotten.

Right off the bat we see April, Krang, Splinter, the 4 Brothers, Doctor Stockman, and even hints of Casey. All in a nice, tightly wound story.

Trés awesome, check it out. I highly suggest it.

[Edited on 25/9/11 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

I must have this.
No.Na.
Lubber
Lubber

Post by No.Na. »

Casey you say? Do tell!
For every good Intention is selfish motivation.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Casey shows up by the end of the second book.

They do a nice job of surprising you with each of the characters. Nice, refreshing, starts for everyone.

Good character development instead of just a random guy who shows up with golf clubs and starts hitting thugs on the streets, y'know?
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
No.Na.
Lubber
Lubber

Post by No.Na. »

that sounds great! I'll have to pick this up... ugh my poor wallet.
For every good Intention is selfish motivation.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

The Turtles got me into comics in the first place. I've been getting their book since then to their end. One of the few, if only, books I didn't get bored with and drop...despite some of the weirdness. I've only got the first book, though, and Casey's at the end of that one...in the original books he was watching all the violence on TV and decided to do something about it...

So...is it a reboot do you thing?
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I would have to say it seems like a reboot, or at the very least, a re-hashing/updated telling.

I think the direction Raph & Casey are going to take are dark avengers, very soon. Did you read the end o issue 2?
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

I haven't got it yet. I only go to the comic shop once a month...the week Previews comes out. But it'll be waiting for me when I get there.

It is looking like quite a promising series. Kev seems to be the grittier of the two creators. Pete's recent series got a little bit too weirdly sic-fi for me. Mini Don...Raptor Raph...weird...

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I think what Eastman's doing now is picking up the grit from the (his, right?) original series and losing some of what may have dated it, in terms of writing style.

In giving the story a breath of fresh air, he is also dusting off the parts of the Turtles that gave them a very "80's" persona. It's possible to keep the grit and loose the camp, and make an entire new balancing-act for the series, and so far -- it appears to be exactly what is going on.

Ralph is once again the loner, but in a much more dire fashion. Right off the bat, he's just alone. It's very sad, and I can't wait to see the build up of the (inevitable) reunion.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

It's obvious that he WAS part of the team at some point, though...the others, especially Splinter, do appear to miss him...but then what father wouldn't miss his son? I wonder what forced the split?

Kev and Pete...Eastman and Laird...created the series together...though Kev did do the original sketch that got the ball rolling. For the first several issues they shared everything...writing...pencilling...inking. But when the series started to take off they took to working alone on every second issue, alternating, so they could get them out on a more regular basis, and that's when you could see the differences in their individual styles. Kev's tended to be more realistic with a healthy dose of violence while Pete's were more playful and a little cartoony. You could even see it in their artistic styles...I can scan a few pages for you if you like so you can see it for yourself.

Then...when the title got HUGE they bought in more people...some worked for Mirage, some just did guest issues. I loved Dan Berger's stuff, though it was a little cartoony, he actually managed to make each turtle individually recognizable...there's this great panel of Raph brandishing his Sai, grinning like a maniac while he says "snikt".

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I wonder what forced the split?
This is explained in Issue 2.

[img]

. You could even see it in their artistic styles...I can scan a few pages for you if you like so you can see it for yourself.
[/img]

Oh my! That would be fantastic! I have a Christmas issue about Michaelangelo finding a stray kitten and taking care of it. That's all I've ever seen LOL! (Besides the show 'course!)
he actually managed to make each turtle individually recognizable
I feel like they've been able to recapture some of that then in this new series. Remember in the TV show they were different shades of green? Arguably different turtles? I like that in the new series theyr'e not pond-turtles, they're actually SEA TURTLES. Sorta cooler.