What are you reading and why? (Comic recommendations!)

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Re: What are you reading and why? (Comic recommendations!)

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I have a friend who looooooves Preacher. We got her a set of action figures for her birthday earlier this month. I've definitely been tempted to read it, will have to look into that.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Only Skin
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Only Skin »

I started reading "Haunt" (I've never read "Spawn", so don't bother with telling me how it's a rip-off because it doesn't matter), and it was going good until issue #19. When the art and story changed hands completely.

What a freaking let-down that was.
MOAR WINE.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

LOL! Well, I hate Spawn so I can imagine that something that is a knock-off isn't going to be much better but thanks for the heads up!

Keep your eyes peeled for the new[er] Jon Hickman title: God is Dead coming from indie publishers Avatar Press!

Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Only Skin
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Only Skin »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:LOL! Well, I hate Spawn so I can imagine that something that is a knock-off isn't going to be much better but thanks for the heads up!
Out of curiosity (cause it might not make much sense to me since I know NOTHING about Spawn), what makes you dislike Spawn so much?
MOAR WINE.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

I'm guessing it's the whole "Argh, grrr, kill kill kill" kind of outlook in the comic. Can't imagine there's much storytelling going on in a spawn comic book, his whole shtick is just being sad that he can't be with his wife an he should kill all of the devil's demons... or something like that. Just don't tell my coworker I said that, the guy absolutely loves spawn... or atleast the spawn figurines which he keeps on his desk... but then again the guy loves the whole killing demons with big ass weapons idea.
Hey Only, (or do you prefer Skin?) have you tried coming into our chat? You seem horribly fun.
Only Skin
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Only Skin »

There's a chat?
Oh! huh, I guess there is! Next to the "FAQ", huh.

Chat's the place to be?
MOAR WINE.
Only Skin
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Only Skin »

It won't let me chat.
MOAR WINE.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

Hey skin, if it's because of Java, then maybe look into getting an IRC chat program. Think we got a couple of examples over at the Nightscrawlers.com section on the forum.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Out of curiosity (cause it might not make much sense to me since I know NOTHING about Spawn), what makes you dislike Spawn so much?
Read two pages and that should clarify it to ya.
Only Skin
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Only Skin »

steyn wrote:Hey Only, (or do you prefer Skin?)
You all can call me Rebecca. It's my real name, and I would have just signed up using it, but I've given up trying to sign up places with my name because it's usually already taken.
MOAR WINE.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I'm being told if you're a fan of Adventure Time the tv series, the comic is KILLER.

Also told that Smallville: Season 11 is the best Superbook on the stands. Sounds crazy but I'm told it's very creative with the characters.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Superior Foes of Spider-Man was one of the absolute best titles I've read from the Marvel line. Funny, original-concept and unique characters.
Thankfully the San Diego Comic-Con featured a Superior-Spider-Panel that was very intriguing.

more on that here.

With the SUperior franchise taking off... it's got me very excited. Superior Carnage, Superior Spider-Man: Team-Up, and very interesting teaser covers showing up in Venom & Scarlet Spider-Man.

If you've been following Superior Spider-Man, you'll get why this is such a fun build-up of events. And no, I won't divulge spoilers, you guys gotta see this stuff yourself.

Yeah... there's some cool stuff going on.
german_gremlin
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by german_gremlin »

I have been reading the old Excaliber and I'm up to issue 33.
I got some Joker's Asylum: Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, Penguin, and Mad Hatter.
I also been reading Transformers Regeneration 1.
:eek
"Hand over your beautiful venches, Captain Eagle...or face the wrath of the Dread Pirate Bluetail!"
Nightcrawler: "...I'm fine ...why are the gypsies dancing the lambada --?" #UXM 366
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Joker's Asylum is very good. Mad Hatter was interesting, my favorites were Scarecrow, Clayface, and Killer Croc.

Killer Croc's story and Riddler's stories are both SO SAD! And Joker totally ruined their lives.... :<
german_gremlin
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by german_gremlin »

Huh.... haven't read Clayface or Croc. Gotta check into that. I love me some Batman! :love
"Hand over your beautiful venches, Captain Eagle...or face the wrath of the Dread Pirate Bluetail!"
Nightcrawler: "...I'm fine ...why are the gypsies dancing the lambada --?" #UXM 366
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

If people aren't reading SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN or AVENGERS: A.I., I'm not really sure what your'e doing... but you're missing out big time.

These two titles (by Nick Spenser and Sam Humphries respectfully) are, like Fraction's HAWKEYE, totally original, completely different from anything else on the shelf, and invite you to look at a group or specific people who are part of a major title in a while new light.

CATACLYSM event in the ULTIMATE comics franchise is heart-breakingly overwhelming. Some of you may not enjoy it because of how dire the situation is. This is the end of the entire Ultimate Universe, very few characters are making it out of this alive. A fond farewell to some of the greatest comics I've ever read...

For those of you who are being bogged down with OCTO-pete, the SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN by Dan Slott, a new mini series called "AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 700." is going to bring us back to Peter Parker's days of Spider-Man. with 700.1, 700.2, & 700.3 already out, I can safely say this is some of the most unique takes on Peter's life as Spider-Man that I have read in all my years of collecting AMAZING comics.

Writer of the first arc David Morrell teamed up with artist Klaus Janson and colorist Steve Buccellatto to create a very cold, old-school, and heroic style of Spider-man that many fans now miss. 700.3 by Joe Casey and penciler Timothy Greene and inker Walden Wong have created a splendid, almost Arkham-like story out of Peter being taken down (quite brutally) by a rollover villain and ending up in a hospital ward for SUPER VILLAINS as his burns were so great and bandages were on him for so long, no one identified him... until the end of if the first issue of the arc, of course. Now the trouble starts... what's his choice? Fight his way out while he's still recovering? Beat them all up while they are recovering? Turn them in? SUPERIOR SPIDER-FOES puts the reader in the room with the villains to see their p.o.v., now Peter gets to experience it first hand... what decisions will he make?

I firmly believe that series is going to lay the seeds down for the return of Peter Parker, as Dan Slott is a master-craftsman and has himself already started the groundwork for that.

Last, but far from least, is Mighty Avengers. A cast of a different kind of variety, each with a unique personality and something to prove, this volunteer-Avengers group is formed by a team that is majority people of color, a nice change of pace for Marvel's Avengers teams, and has at least three current female characters dominating every panel they appear in, and not because of 'dem boobs or 'dem hips. This cast is unique, fun, mysterious (WHO IS THE NEW RONIN?!) and incredibly cheeky. Do yourself a favor and CHECK THIS OUT.

I post codes for comics on Twitter (digital Marvel Share codes that is, they come with each issue, I pay for them but don't use them so I make sure people online do), and I am going to bring a code for each of these onto this thread when the next issues come out. Just so people here might have a chance to read them without spending the money!

Enjoy your books! EXCELSIOR TRUE BELIEVERS!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Kelly Sue Deconnick & Emma Rios have put together an amazing comic based out of Image called "Pretty Deadly."

Please read this.

Also Rick Remender's "Black Science" is great right off the bat from issue one! Matteo Scalera is an amazingly skilled artist and these painted colors by Dean White are stellar. Get these books!

GETTEM!
Only Skin
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Only Skin »

I am reading so many damn things.
SOMANYTHINGS.

But as for new things?
Rat Queens as soon as they come back from their forever break. Seriously hating this, what, 2 month break (might as well be 2 centuries).
Undertow

A few Marvel things.
One DC thing.

And a whole shit ton of old things.
Alpha Flight, Excalibur, some old FF, Sub-Mariner stuffs (lots of Sub-Mariner stuffs-MEYOW).
And more Alpha Flight. Because Byrne's run rocks.
MOAR WINE.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Loving Black Science and Pretty Deadly but I really want to promote

LUMBERJANES one of the single greatest non-big-2 comics ever. Boom! put it out, and it's fantastic, cute, funny as hell, and just a wonderfully touching story about girls at summer camp. Please, please get it!

And as for people not reading Southern Bastards?