Death movie

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Death movie

Post by Bamfette »

as you could probably gather form my avatar, i am a big Gaiman fan, in particular Sandman and Death stories, but all his work is great, just got Coraline and am looing forward to it imensely.

anyway!!! the Death movie is one of those movies that has been rumored for a long time but never seems to make its way into filming. today tho i was reading Gaiman's blog for any hints about '1602' (all i could gather was that it has a huge cast, and Stan Lee was absolutly giddy about it) and came across this:

[quote]
Thursday, September 19, 2002

So about 18 months ago I finished the first draft of the Death movie, and wasn’t really happy with it. I’d planned to get back to it on about September the 15th 2001, but then the events of September 11th happened, and I couldn’t muster the enthusiasm for a story about Death spending a day in New York.

I tried several narrative strategies to try and get myself writing it, including setting it San Francisco and changing the gender of several characters around, but each time it petered out, and I put it aside.

Finally, in early August of this year, I was ready: I spent a week in a hotel and did nothing but Death. It started working. I printed out the script and went to the UK to tour. I scribbled on it from time to time, fixing things. And two weeks ago I grabbed an afternoon and typed all my scribbles in, and sent the script off to the people who needed to see it.

So far the response has been incredibly positive from everyone who's read it. People, including me, are very happy with it.

In theory I’m meant to be directing it. Fingers crossed. Which is a long preamble to a phone conversation I enjoyed today:

“Can I speak to (Movie Person) please? This is Neil Gaiman.”

“I’m sorry, he’s in a meeting, but I can have him call you when he gets out. What was your name again?”

“Neil. Neil Gaiman.”

“And what is it the call about?”

“Death.”

“I’m sorry? Could you repeat that?”

“Death. It’s about Death.”

“Death?”

“Yes.”

(Long pause. Then, a little bit worried) “Is he expecting your call?”
[/quote]

:LOL:

sweet deal!! can't wait :D

Gaiman's blog is here:
http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal_archi ... rchive.asp
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

Death movie

Post by littlebamf »

oooooooooooooh
i wait in antcipation...got no choice really...
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Death movie

Post by Garble »

mmmm.... Death....

Gaiman is king.

I'm reading American Gods right now.
While christmas shopping today, I bought Coraline for myself.
Abbatoir
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Death movie

Post by Abbatoir »

Sounds fun... I haven't read much Gaiman... I've Read Sandman: Dream Country and Season of Mists. Death appears in both of those and is kinda cool but I would think they'd make a Sandman movie first...
Abbatoir: professional lurker for hire. Now taking contracts. :D
:bamf: :deadpool: :agentx: :lifeguard: :slippy: :chamber: :phoenix: :bets: :tb3: :ghostrider:
"Keep the Collar, Kurt!" club #1 U2U me to join!
The "Losers" have won! The collar will be lost in the new year! But we will not let this happen!
"Get the Collar Back!" club #1 U2U me to join!
Coalition for 'Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member#2
Defender of Decency (hah!) in the C.O.C.K
Hug Fiend #1
Teen Scrawlers Leader
Pick your nickname! I am now known as Abbatoir, Abs, Abby, Abba, and Abb!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Death movie

Post by Bamfette »

they are making a Sandman movie as well......

aparently Fairuza Balk (from The Craft, Waterboy, etc.) has been approached by Gaiman (who is directing) to play Death. but that was some time ago... plans may have changed.
Abbatoir
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Death movie

Post by Abbatoir »

Ohhhhhhhhhh. Cool.
Any idea when it'll be out?
:bamf: :deadpool: :agentx: :lifeguard: :slippy: :chamber: :phoenix: :bets: :tb3: :ghostrider:
The "Losers" have won! The collar will be lost in the new year! But we will not let this happen!
Hug Fiend #1
Teen Scrawlers Leader
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Death movie

Post by Bamfette »

nope, both projects are in pre-production, so it will be quite a while yet, Sandman is farther along than Death, tho. or atleast it has been planned for far longer, but, the studio keeps wanting re-writes and Gaiman is never happy with the script so it's stuck in the script phase, basicaly, till they can get a script Gaiman is happy with.
Abbatoir
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Death movie

Post by Abbatoir »

Is it going to be based on anything? They'll probably have to introduce the Endless (which means Death :D), Cain and Abel, Lucien and the rest of the supporting cast...
Hug Fiend #1
Teen Scrawlers Leader
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Death movie

Post by Bamfette »

aparently, the Sandman movie is based on the first 2 TPB collections, 'Preludes and Nocturnes', and 'The Doll's House'' covering Morpheus' escape from imprisonment, regaining his power and extracting revenge, and reining in The Corinthian...

the Death Movie is based on Death: High Cost of Living, i think. but with changes as Gaiman hiself outlined above... it was originally set in NY, and stuff.
Abbatoir
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Death movie

Post by Abbatoir »

Haven't read either of those (will try though) but it sounds cool.
Hug Fiend #1
Teen Scrawlers Leader
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Death movie

Post by Dark Bamf »

Don't get too eager in anticipation of either a Death or Sandman movie; there's many a slip 'tween the cup and the lips, as they say. Remember, they first started talking about an X-Men movie twenty years or more ago.

:bamf:
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Death movie

Post by Garble »

Yeah, and the Sandman movie's been in red-tape hell for nearly 5 years....

I read one of the rejected Sandman scripts that combined Preludes and the Doll's House. It REALLY sucked! But from what I understand, it was the best one of the scripts circling around.
There's another, where Morpheus wears tights, is the devil's brother, and has to stop the Corinthian (god of bad dreams) from stealing his tools before the turn of the Millennium.

In Neil's book "Smoke and Mirrors" there's a short story called "The Goldfish Pool and Other Stories" that I'm almost positive is actually about Neil's experience in Hollywood trying to get the Sandman movie started...