Digital Comics -- Can They Make The Leap?

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Ah. When you said transfer a bunch of your titles, I thought you meant issues that you already have in print. You can see why I'd question why you'd want to do that. If you mean future issues, then I'd absolutely agree digital's an option.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I don't see it but I believe it makes sense to mistakenly take that literally. Either way, yeah.

Still...

Why isn't Marel pricing their comics down like DC does... your response (while informative) doesn't answer why the heck they're not doing that. I mean... $3.99 in print, $3.99 in Digital Download, so far as I'm concerned that's a rip off....
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Well, different companies have different pricing strategies. One thing to consider, especially when you're not limited to 500 MB as you are with DC (I haven't heard that) is that you could have an entire series from start to finish stored in a Kindle or the like and it would take 1/100th the space it would in print. It's the same thing with textbooks; they're not much cheaper yet than they are in print. So there's a convenience factor. Publishers are still making much more from print than they are from digital and as long as that's true, you're not really going to see a price run.

[Edited on 11/30/11 by HoodedMan]
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

It'd be nice to see a price change, all the same.

I agree with the storing into a Kindle, I unfortunately don't have one. I was just gonna store 'em on my external hard-drive and use my Mac until I got an iPad someday soon.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Re: Digital Comics -- Can They Make The Leap?

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Interesting CBR article!
CBR wrote:“When reading a comic with Guided View or a similar technology, we’re losing a number of elements,” Levin explains in his blog post. “We don’t see the construction of the whole page, which would peripherally influence our understanding of the current panel. We also lose the sense of relative size of each panel, which is the most basic way that creators imply pacing. Reading the same comic on and offline would leave markedly different impressions.”

To better understand what Levin is getting at, it’s important to step back and take a look at a comics page. When reading a comic book in its natural form, we’re reading it in two different ways simultaneously.