Comic Writers/Artists using Formspring & Twitter

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So a lot of Marvel's Writers and Artists (probably DC's too) are getting into the whole Formspring and Twitter fads.

Now, normally I try not to feed into this stuff, but with my interest in "Facebook" having waned completely, I find myself indulging in these secret easter-egg snippets of the comic-creator psyche more frequently.

Dan Slott, Tom Brevoort, Skottie Young, Zeb Wells, Chuck Austen, Chris Yost, Matt Fraction, and Brian Michael Bendis are just a few of the writers who have branched out to Tumblr Blogs, Formspring Anonymous questionares, and Twitter feeds.

It honestly is an interesting change in the dynamic. It increases fan access to pivotal (possibly game-changing) information, while still putting the writers at a comfortable distance to their fans and indeed giving them a broader view of their (at least online) demographic. It's also interesting to see indie comic writers or comic bloggers/critics hit the twitter/formspring pages as well!

here are some quick links for you guys to jump to:

Formspring
Dan Slott

Tom Brevoort

Twitter

Dan Slott

Matt Fraction

Jill Pantozzi

Brian Michael Bendis

Skottie Young

Ryan Ottley

Joe Keatinge

So if you haven't got a twitter, you should.

Get one, start following them, if you PM me, I'll let you know what mine is and you can follow me too if you'd like.

Enjoy the links/insight/etc!
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
tears~fall~like~glass
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Timelord
Nightscrawlearth Character: :x23 :rachel

Post by tears~fall~like~glass »

Chris Yost also has a twitter. Not a writer, but Mike Choi has one, too.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Now I love Gail Simone, but I think this response is completely inaccurate. I agree what she's saying about DC, but she is completely wrong on the Marvel end.

However it is very likely that this is a generational gap thing, and I just grew up with a different Marvel than her. Or maybe my era/generation used/appreciated sarcasm much more than others before it.

Interesting Blog Engry By Gail Simone
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Oh look! Victor Gischler has a blog too! Damn!

.... :shifty
I didn't put a broken link up and then had to fix it. I swear.

[Edited on 6/7/10 by Ult_Sm86]
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

There's sarcasm, and then there's not allowing characters to have good relationships. Big difference. Name one couple in the Marvel Universe that has a healthy marriage. Name one character that has enjoyed a good relationship with his/her parents or was even raised by his or her parents. And of course, it is rather telling that the one major character in the Marvel U rewarded with the most attention for her maternal skill is Mystique.

Hippolyta she ain't.

But what I believe you're missing is that Marvel's interpersonal relationships struck "just as powerful a chord," with a more mature Gail Simone, "in a different way." And when I was a kid, I could agree. Often as a kid, I would wonder, "Why on earth are whozits and so-and-so fighting, when they're all good guys?"
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Blob55
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Blob55 »

Angelique wrote:There's sarcasm, and then there's not allowing characters to have good relationships. Big difference. Name one couple in the Marvel Universe that has a healthy marriage. Name one character that has enjoyed a good relationship with his/her parents or was even raised by his or her parents.
I'm not sure about having a good relationship with his parents, but Beak has quite a healthy Marriage.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

There's sarcasm, and then there's not allowing characters to have good relationships.
Are you serious?

Okay.

Emma/Scott.

Peter/Aunt May

Jameson/Robbie

Robbie/Peter

Cap/Bucky

There's more, but I think it says something about Marvel that their character can fight side by side and disagree on so much, so long as it's the greater good they agree with.

The only character in DC I therefore really appreciate to a fuller extent is Batman, being he works with all of them... but lord knows Bats don't trust NOBODY!

Also; for sarcasm? I mean more along the lines of the style and way characters speak/interact. Maybe it's just the last few years with Bendis, Brubaker, and other 90's writers, but it seems to me DC often has a stick up their ass.

Remember the Harry Osborne LSD thing? Stan Lee didn't give a ratspatoot what this alleged Censorship company was trying to do, and guess what? It stuck!

They used it in BND! (Not "OMD".) In BND, Harry's death was faked by Mysterio and Norman 'cause Harry had (more or less recently) thrown the icky green costume back on, leaving Norman to believe he was using again! I don't see a lot of that stuff in DC (though I hear Speedy has something similar but it was quite some time after Harry's.)

I'm not knocking DC by saying they're LESS REAL. They're not, they just take a different tone of reality than Marvel does, and I feel that her opinion, while perfectly valid, is seemingly aged.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

You say aged like it's a bad thing, or at least that her opinion is less relevant than yours.

And I wouldn't call any romantic relationship with Cyclops a good one. I mean, take a look at his track record. If you took that sentence in context, you would know that I was referring to romantic/marital and familial relationships, not professional relationships and the like.

And greater good, schmeater good. We recently had a huge MU-wide event revolving around heroes fighting each other because they couldn't agree on what the greater good even was.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Blob55
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Blob55 »

Well, thinking about how awful Cyclops is, I wouldn't be suprised if he cheats on Emma Frost with Hope. :P
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Well, then let me rephrase.

I think the Age Difference puts her and I at odds.

I didn't realize that's what you were talking about, 'cause that's not what she was talking about. She means friendly relationships in general. Might I add though, You talk about Scott's romantic life like he's Steve Urkel.

I think he had a great relationship with Jean, and then she died. Now he has moved on and has a great relationship with Emma, even if everyone is sort of weirded out by her animosity. I don't see a lack of love between them but I will agree they don't show compassion as much as Scott and Jean had.

Anda s for Civil War, friends get into it sometimes.

I'd imagine when Super Friends go at it, it's not exactly a "You're a wiener!" "No! YOU're a wiener!" argument.
In fact, I think the incident exploded after Nitro did. I think the argument was pretty legit. I get where Tony was coming from, and while I dont' agree, I relate a lot to his and Captain's sides on the whole thing. It makes sense what Tony did, and guess what? He totally regretted it later. Right now, with Bendis' "The Avengers" Stark and Rogers are trying to find out how they can move on and still be friends after that whole mismash of calamity.

Real friends trying, genuinely, to still be good friends so they can keep fighting for a greater good.
Sounds pretty realistic. I don't get what Gail's talking about. :P

I mean hell, is anyone mentioning when Hal went apeshit and tried to kill them all? Then he made it all better? Why can't Marvel's characters do that too?

And Blob; ...
you serious? You realize she is potentially his daughter, right? And she's also like... 16.

[Edited on 7/7/10 by Ult_Sm86]
Blob55
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Blob55 »

Ult, I was kidding hence the. ":P"