The Walking Dead TV series

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Re: Walking Dead - TV Series

Post by Jeremus »

I wasn't too impressed with this episode overall. But I guess, in fairness, it did follow one of the most talked about episodes of the season. IMO it was depressing.....(and I was depressed all over again after seeing Sophia walk out of that barn again. Maybe that's why.) It did get good toward the end, though.....more like what I expect from the series. I had been wondering when the bad guys were going to show up. I knew they were out there somewhere.

I still think Sophia probably got bitten soon after she got lost....then maybe she followed the creek, and then wandered into one of Otis' traps and he put her in the barn before he went hunting. I don't think Hershel knew she was in there.....but some of the other people who were feeding the walkers in the barn had to know there was a little kid in there. You'd think that they'd have said something. Maybe they did say something to Hershal....but why wouldn't he have said anything to Rick if he really wanted Rick's group to go away (and they said they were only staying until they found her). Unless he thought they'd shoot her and he was still thinking that she was just sick. He said he didn't know, so I guess we have to take his word for now.

I would like to know what really happened to her.....but I don't think I could watch it. I know that's stupid, but it would be too sad. I bet they probably will make a flashback short episode for the website though.

So is Shane going to send help next episode....or is he going to use Rick's absence to take over? (And since they killed off a character that's still alive in the comic, I guess all bets are off as to who will survive next episode. I guess they could kill anybody now.)
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

(And since they killed off a character that's still alive in the comic, I guess all bets are off as to who will survive next episode. I guess they could kill anybody now.)
I think that's the point though, isn't it? That it doesn't follow the comic.

I feel like this was a great opener but it felt short. Too many commercials.
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

You're not kidding about the commercials! It's like the commercials are the show with a little bit of Walking Dead every now and then.
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Re: The Walking Dead TV series

Post by Jeremus »

I saw Andrew Lincoln last night on David Letterman.
Am I the only one who didn't know he's British? lol
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Merged the threads since the old thread is back. Carry on! :D
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Jeremus wrote:I saw Andrew Lincoln last night on David Letterman.
Am I the only one who didn't know he's British? lol

My big brother didn't know until recently but when he realized it, he said it made total sense. He pointed out the accent is wrong. Once he pointed that out, I've noticed it every since.

:/

I personally think the cat who plays Shane is a better actor.
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

Sometimes I think that the actors who play villains have greater range than the ones who play heroes....or at least the roles give them greater opportunity to show off their talent better.

And I saw the "Nebraska" episode again last night. It was a lot better this time around. (I must have been in a bad mood when I watched it Sunday.)
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

Okay, loved last night's episode. Lots of action, lots of zombies, lots of people being people -- sometimes good, sometimes bad, sometimes stupid. It's good to see Herschel wising up, fast, and becoming a bit more like his comic counterpart (who I grew to really like). And Rick's expression in the last seconds of the episode. Whooooooooboay!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

My brother spent the episode nitpicking subtle things, which I sort of agree with on a few parts.

I think Daryl and WhateverHerNameIs' relationship feels really forced and all their interactions are fqrce. Acting aside the writing is confusing. I don't think the writers expected game to like Daryl and now they're floundering trying to come up with subplots for him.

Giving the drunk guy a gun and telling him to cover another guy is a poor decision.

More to come but I don't want to do spoilers and I'm on my phone. One major thing confused me though.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

Carol is her name. Actually, I think their relationship makes sense. She's a battered wife and she's drawn to the guy who not only showed interest in finding her daughter but also has an obvious violent streak. Repeating pattern of the abused seeking out abusers and all.

Either Herschel wasn't really all that drunk, or he sobered up real damn fast - adrenaline could do that, I suppose.

One of my major nitpicks was the use of that Ford's hubcab as a weapon. We all know those suckers are plastic. :shifty
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

His relationship with hers doesn't compute for me then.

And also -- what's up with Rick toting the line "You kill. You die." in the comics and in the series, before anyone really prevalent to plot or Rick's life can be killed off, he's whipping out guns and popping off heads like melons, of the walking LIVING. Don't get me wrong, I applaud their differences from the comic thus far, but that doesn't sit right with me.

It's just not in his character. Of all the character evolutions his the most erratic. (Which is a shame 'cause he's the main character. )
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

In a way, they all have erratic development... which is kinda realistic. Real people don't follow a smooth arc of evolution.

Carol and Daryl's whole major exchange in this episode made me uncomfortable, but maybe that was the point? They're both definitely action-packed with issues and I really, really hope they don't try to hook them up.

And I really thought he was going to hit her. Scott calls Daryl the Wolverine of the group, and it kind of works until he becomes an abuser. But that would be very Kirkman-esque of the show - he can get you to love a character and then mind fucks you. He's kinda Joss Whedony like that.

As for Rick: Zombie apocalypse or not, Rick is a cop and those two were not only giving off the vibe of menace, but they also drew first. You can see when Rick stepped between them that he was watching the fat guy in the bar mirror so he could see them both when they went for their weapons. So, I don't think it's that out of character for him to shoot them, plus I think his little speech before the other group started shooting was his justification. "They drew first, that's how the world is now" and all that.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I personally think that Rick & Shane just need to kiss it out.
:toothy

That said though,
It appears they're getting closer and closer to Shane's (eventual) end. Shane is not going to be making/retaining friends much longer.
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

The Daryl/ Carol relationship is interesting to me, but I definitely don't want them hooking up! Their relationship IMO isn't like that at all. I think they identify with each other because they come from similar violent backgrounds...Carol was loyal to her abusive husband, and Daryl to his abusive brother. Maybe that's why he tried so hard to rescue Sophia and put so much of himself into it....because in a way he is Sophia. He was lost as a kid just like her, but even though he physically saved himself, emotionally he's still lost. I think Carol sees that in him and she may be trying to "rescue" him.

It didn't make any sense to me what Daryl was yelling at Carol, but then I thought he was probably talking about himself. Then it bagan to make more sense. I need to see the episode again though.

I think it was stupid that Rick called out to those guys. (I think Hershal and I had the same expression on our face at the same time. ) IMO they should have put a chair against the door and snuck out the back.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

Well, AMC just announced they cast The Governor.

:shifty :eeevil
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

*throws hands up in the air*

I wanted them to go to the PRISON!!! >_< *sobs*
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

So if Shane is Rick's antagonist now.....is he going to be gone by the third season to make way for the Governor? Or do you think it will take a different turn like maybe Shane becomes "good" again and backs Rick up when they get to Woodbury?

Also, do you think those guys that Rick shot are from Woodbury?
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

It's reasonable to assume as much.
Last edited by Ult_Sm86 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

A part of me hopes the Shane situation gets resolution in the next two episodes (which appears to be the direction) and another part of me wants them to drag it out being how much I love thep actor.
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

Yeah, Bernthal's done a good job with Shane.

Okay, so Daryl (so far) isn't coming down with the zombie flu after having that arrow go thru him, and T-dog isn't zombified after cutting himself and hiding under dead commuters (and everyone's been in contact with some form of zombie goo).....but Shane was cutting himself with the same knife he used to stick into a zombie head ten minutes before. Something's got to happen. Just how hard is it to catch this virus?

(It was interesting about those two cops that had no bite marks though. )
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I would say that it seems they're either not addressing the part of the comic where some people just don't catch it, or -- they're ignoring it for the sake of plot. Which would be worse. It does need to get addressed soon though. I didn't get to catch Talking Dead last couple of weeks, but I would hope Kevin Smith is the kind of dude to bring that up in the show, regardless of whether AMC pays the bills for his show. He would normally call just about anybody else for that. Just saying...
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

I suppose it's possible that the zombie virus could have mutated from something really really contagious, to something harder to catch. It could have even been airborn at some point. Maybe that's why it spread so fast and why the army was killing civilians that didn't seem to have been bitten. Either way, I agree...it definitely needs to be addressed. (And I really want to know what the CDC guy said to Rick)

Okay, general zombie question:
If zombies are physically dead and they're slowly decomposing, would a zombie apocalypse really be a hopeless situation? Couldn't survivors just wait it out until the the zombies just rotted themselves away? In maybe a year or so, the majority of zombies would be gone. The zombie virus would be endemic and you'd have to deal with them occasionally, but not in the vast numbers you'd have in the first year. (At least that's what I would have told the sister.)
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

Yeah, that's how a lot of the zombie mythologies work. World War Z by Max Brooks is set after said war. The human population was decimated, but eventually most of the zombies were rekilled or rotted away and civilization was rebuilding. They just dealt with outbreaks as they happened.

In the comic, they've referenced zombies that hadn't fed in a long time as going into a hibernation... or that some of them seemed so weak they couldn't move.

And yeah... I'm really wondering how they're going to reconcile how the plague works in the comics as opposed to what we're seeing in the show. Cutting your hand, mushing it against a dirty surface, letting a zombie lick it and then reapplying blood seems like a bad, bad idea. I could see them keeping it all mysterious by letting people think, when Shane dies, which he totally will, that he reanimates because that little stunt got him infected. But I think Rick KNOWS everybody is infected. I'd bet money that's what Jenner said, because he's kind of alluded to it a few times. They even made a point of it with the two unbitten cops/security/whatever they were. Maybe that's why Rick cut his hand - he knows he's already infected, so it doesn't matter? But if they're going that way, then how do they explain all those non-zombie, non-head-shot corpses in those cars on the highway?
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

(And I really want to know what the CDC guy said to Rick)
We'll find out in the last episode of this season, apparently.
Cutting your hand, mushing it against a dirty surface, letting a zombie lick it and then reapplying blood seems like a bad, bad idea. I could see them keeping it all mysterious by letting people think, when Shane dies, which he totally will, that he reanimates because that little stunt got him infected. But I think Rick KNOWS everybody is infected. I'd bet money that's what Jenner said, because he's kind of alluded to it a few times. They even made a point of it with the two unbitten cops/security/whatever they were. Maybe that's why Rick cut his hand - he knows he's already infected, so it doesn't matter? But if they're going that way, then how do they explain all those non-zombie, non-head-shot corpses in those cars on the highway?

I think this will tie into what Jenner told him and what will be revealed. I agree with you though, Rick is acting rather "I'm aware of our current condition" and he hasn't had the heart to tell anyone else really. Notice when they killed those guys, he sorta double-tapped the fat one.
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

That's right.....he did double-tap that other guy!

I'm thinking the same thing....that they're all infected to some degree. But the car people are definitely a problem.

(Unless, :cracked there is something that can prevent zombification in dead people. Maybe the army dropped something on them (like a gas ) and it unfortunatly killed them, :die but kept them dead.

Only, if that's the case, Jenner would have known about it.....or maybe not because there was a helicopter in Atlanta and Jenner said he hadn't been in contact with anyone in a long while.) :shifty