The Walking Dead TV series

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

I'm psyched! I've read the book for years and it's one of my absolute favorite non-superhero stories, and it totally looks like AMC is giving it the right treatment!

lookie! a zombie!

Lookie! a blog! http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/

[Edited on 12-6-2010 by Slarti]
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

All My Children?
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Woot!
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So who else is totally psyche for October 16th?

If you missed the preview of the upcoming season during "Breaking Bad" (which also -- why are you missing that as well?) then I gots it RIGHT HERE:

Awesome 4 minute trailer!

AAAHHH!!! I might poop m'pants out of excitement!
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So who's watching, this Sunday!?

Can you believe it's already here!

I found this on stumbleupon.com and thought maybe I should start saving my money.

Genius

With each episode of 'Walking Dead', I realize how terribly scared I am of the Zombie Apocalypse.

[Edited on 12/10/11 by Ult_Sm86]
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

Heehee, cute.

And yes! Gonna watch and DVR it!

Should be interesting to see how the Hershel's farm stuff goes.

I have the first season DVD, and if I can I'll rewatch before the premiere.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

WHAT A START!

What I'm enjoying the most so far is the large departure from the comics. Though I've only read Volume 1 cover to cover, I know bits and pieces of the other (11?) in the series and I like that the show bothers to be different.

It takes some of the plots from later parts within the comic series and implements them with original ideas/characters for the Show. It's brilliant. What a great example of GOOD comic book adaptation. If only they could have gotten this right with Birds of Prey or Blue Beetle LOL!

This show is going to go a long way, I can tell.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Hmmm. I didn't see the departures from the comics as being all that significant, with the exception of the addition of the Dixon brothers.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

"Significant"? I'm not sure I understand the use of the word in your sentence?

You mean significant to the plot? I don't really think I was talking about measuring the significance of the changes the show made, but rather that it counts for something that they have done so.

And I can think of one incredibly significant change that they went with on the show, and while there is still time to do it, it's very important to the book that it happens right off the bat. It seems in the show they're drawing that out, which is smarter.

No spoilers though. :toothy
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Yeah. They're clearly milking that one, but unless they don't go through with it at all, I don't see it as any significant departure yet. They are sticking to the general direction and characterizations, and those of us who know what'll happen from the books will, I am confident, see that in some form in the show. If it strays too far, it's safe to say I will lose interest.

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I wasn't saying straying from the original plot/characterizations was a good idea. I think keeping close to it is the only way to make the show work, being the comic has so many readers now and unlike a super hero story, the plot is very fun and applicable to other media forms.

And my friends who have read every comic are still impressed/surprised/on-edge each episode because they change things up enough that you're not sure what's coming.

They were impressed with the order of events and how they shook up the viewers by throwing a monkey in the wrench in terms of things happening in different seasons/out of order of how they do in the comics.
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

That was an excellent season premier!
Like I said, I haven't read the books, but this series is really keeping my attention.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Rick is truly the shining example of hope...

This last episode was holy-crap, what-da-hell, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE-awesomeness!!

Gotta say, still sorta upset about the rule breaking with the blood though. We'll see how that plays out with T-Bone's "staff infection".
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

Total "Taxi Driver" moment there in tonight's episode. I actually missed the first five minutes so I was totally shocked at the end. In hindsight, they probably shouldn't have bookended it like that 'cause it kinda telegraphs the end, imo.

I really like it, and I'm digging the differences between the show and book. And I love Daryl. Have I said that already? Because I totally do. He's my favorite redneck evar now!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Daryl is AWESOME.

However; this "Talking Dead" show is friggin' stupid. I want to fix that guy's hair so badly... and the rest of this is just super lame... These celebrities are not professionals. The professionals are not people who look pretty and sit around and play "Left 4 Dead" video games. The "professionals" would be Max Brooks, Romero, Kirkman, Moore, etc...
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

Man....I hate Shane.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

LOL!

******POTENTIAL SPOILERS*****
I'm glad they're giving him some background for being a ruthless ass hole in the TV series. I under stood why he was shot at the end of the first volume, by Rick's son of all people, but the TV series is trying to make it a little more understandable. I always felt the gun shot was out of the blue. He was angry and he was in hysterics, who doesn't get like that during the zombie apocalypse? And Rick had put Shane down before and taken his gun away from him, why couldn't he do it then? I genuinely felt, when reading it, like I was missing something. But I had dismissed it as I do with a lot of the points in the comic series. I chalk it up to the perspective the story is written in, and the lack of information around the characters contributing to the lack of information to the readers. The reader should be just as confused/scared as the characters in the comic. You need to have a little more subtext in a TV series.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

I haven't watched last night's episode, so maybe I have to eat my words here, but ... are you guys saying you like this second season?

I'm not loving it. It seems like a lot of talking and a lot of breaking their own rules (can the walkers smell living flesh or can't they?) while exploiting overused apocalypse story tropes. The first season was way more surprising and interesting.

The good news is that if there ever is a zombie apocalypse, I'm in the right medical specialty. Stick with the veterinarians, they always survive.

-e
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I think the first episode was a lot to swallow, and I admit I was concerned about the rule bending.

But you know what I realized? It's a show about zombies (re-animated corpses that feed on flesh) taking over the planet. Not sure if I can really slam a show that really shouldn't be taken so seriously.

Besides, this "staff infection" T-Bone got after the cut still has time to become a different kind of infection if the writers are doing their jobs and trolling boards for feedback.

Also, they crapped out like 6 of the writers of Season 1 and replaced 'em.

Heroes Season 2 all over again. I'm not sure where I am for sure.... but Sunday's episode was a thrill and a half.
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

****** SPOILER ************

I liked this last episode. But early on when Daryl fell down that embankment, I thought 'if they kill him I'm not going to watch it anymore' since he's (so far) turning out to be one of my favorite characters.

And then he walked out of the woods.......

Needless to say, I was not amused -_-....(but I'm glad I didn't turn it off then.)

So, I have a question.
If walkers are attracted to gunshots, why wouldn't they be attracted to the sound of the really old beat up generator they had?

[Edited on 01/19/09 by Jeremus]
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I figure a Gun Shot makes a very loud bang, the generator makes a sorta loud hum. And most importantly, the bang is a short, terrifyig, blast. Very alerting. The hum... draws attentio sure, but like Hershel says...

"I wanna be the one to deal with walkers..." >_>

Glad to see they're following the comic finally (with the Farm). The symbolism in that story arc is really interesting.

And I said the same thing to my girl during the show. I said "Is it me... or is Darryl more the 'hero' now than Rick and/or Shane?"
Everyone cheers him on. He's such a great character. I hope to see him in more stuff after this. (The actor, rather).

Last night's episode was good too. Like 'Dexter', it took until about the 3/4th episode of the season for me to get really interested.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

I'm still watching, but I still have mixed feelings.

There is some interesting and even daring writing. For instance - giving Daryl is hero's journey story arc. They could have just kept him as stereotypical redneck muscle - good for fighting and not much else. The fact that he comes off as a rich and complex character while STILL crouching in the woods eating squirrel meat is pretty impressive.

However, I was really disappointed in the way the writer's chickened out on having what's her name kill him as he walked out of the woods. I mean, that would have been SO ballsy to spent so much time lovingly building such an unlikely hero only to have him die by friendly fire. I've come to like the character too and it's really disappointing to see the writers pull their punch like that. (Though it may, of course be a lead up to something even cooler happening - you never know.)
But you know what I realized? It's a show about zombies (re-animated corpses that feed on flesh) taking over the planet. Not sure if I can really slam a show that really shouldn't be taken so seriously.
I'm not taking it that seriously. But I think when you are writing in any kind of science fiction/fantasy/horror genre in which we have things that don't exist in the real world, the audience is even more dependent on the rules. It's the rules that determine the world in which the story takes place and when they get broken it is even more jarring.

So, breaking the rules with the noise factor? I get it - the writers need to present the farm house as a place of civilization therefore it needs electricity and running water. The "zombies are attracted to sound" rule can be bent in the name of establishing setting. However, the whole story is about how people live when their very existence is threatened by zombies that can do certain things and have certain limitations. Changing those limitations midstream actually takes a way from the story.

The one thing I am starting to like about season 2 is there are not a lot of zombies. They're there, but the story has started to focus on interpersonal relationships and how people change when their world is shattered which is also the most interesting thing about the comic.

-e
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

However, I was really disappointed in the way the writer's chickened out on having what's her name kill him as he walked out of the woods. I mean, that would have been SO ballsy to spent so much time lovingly building such an unlikely hero only to have him die by friendly fire. I've come to like the character too and it's really disappointing to see the writers pull their punch like that. (Though it may, of course be a lead up to something even cooler happening - you never know.)
I think AMC does have balls to do things like that, and you see it in their shows like "Breaking Bad". Holy crap, that show does not hold back any punches.

And you're right, Season 2 is finally getting to that point where you FORGET it's a zombie show, and then when the zombies do come up, it's terrifying. Instead of the whole zombie concept being (pun intended?) beaten to death.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

I take everything back.

Last night. The writing on that episode? Utterly brilliant.

-e
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Absolutely, I completely agree.

I knew they were headed that direction, and as you can see, they're setting up for the part in the comic when Shane gets shot by Carl. It's being getting pretty intense.

ALSO -- I <3'd the final few moments. Between Hershel losing hope and falling to his knees as everything he believed is shattered before him, (the faith that kept him going), you then see his other dirty secret...

How long do you think she was in the barn? Do you think he put her in there, or do you think she found her way to it and hid their for safety... not expecting there were Walkers in that barn.

It's no Dexter, but they're doing a great job this season.

[Edited on 28/11/11 by Ult_Sm86]