1/2 Issue: Charm Offensive

Instance transcripts for the new, expanded world of ScrawlerEarth live here!
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

1/2 Issue: Charm Offensive

Post by Esynthia »

Timeline: 4th of July, 2023

Stephanie: Stephanie tapped the bar with a fingertip as she tried to watch the door without arousing suspicion. Not only that, but her mask was uncomfortable. She adjusted the pins holding it in place in her hair and took a sip of her cosmopolitan. "This is getting rather tiresome. I do enjoy the attempt at festivities, but it is rather hot for a masquerade ball."

Norman: "The club is rather fond of these," Norman told her, leaning against the bar with his own drink in hand, "You get used to it."

Stephanie: "I dare say, it's almost like they're trying too hard. The club doth protest too much and all that." She turned to look at Norman, tilting her head in curiosity. "Have you been to many of these in the middle of summer, then?"

Norman: "No, I prefer the less formal summer events..." he took a sip from his glass.

Stephanie: "I can see why." Stephanie set her glass down on the bar and turned on her stool to look out over the room. "The party is in full swing but the people we want to see are yet to arrive. Do you think they're not coming?"

Norman: "I think Tony Stark wouldn't miss an opportunity to show off," Norman cast his gaze around the room, "But he would happily turn up late to that opportunity if it got him more attention."

Stephanie: "The only reason I came out this evening was for networking with the President." She cut her eyes to her companion then back to the room. "I enjoy the view, but I would much rather be preparing for what we have coming up on the campaign circuit."

Norman: "When dealing with Stark, patience is key," he reminded her, "The ego is formidable."

Stephanie: "Trust me, I have plenty of patience. I've waited this long, haven't I? I'm just so close I can almost taste it so I'm starting to get a little...antsy, so to speak."

Norman: "Well try to resist the temptation to rush to the finish line..."

Stephanie: "Don't worry, Norman, dear." Stephanie turned a slow, evil grin to him. "I never rush. I quite enjoy taking my time. Especially with this project."

Tony: With his beautiful girlfriend on his arm and far too many people in tow, Tony waved away the announcement at the door and walked into the club. Everyone knew who he was anyway, especially since his mask was parked at his hairline.

Lifeguard: Heather had refused to wear a mask, she had enough weirdness going on with her face. She did like going to the club with Tony though, it was rare to have an indoor space large enough to fully spread her wings... and not having to duck to make it in through the large ornate front door was also a nice change.

Rogue: Rogue hated coming here, but she had to admit that she loved being on Tony's arm when he walked into a room. Especially when he looked as dashing as he did tonight. She tucked a flyaway hair back into place in her updo, careful not to upset the mask strings. "Ah gotta say, these people do know how t' throw a party."

Stephanie: "Speak of the devil and he shall appear. Although, I do prefer that phrase being used about me."

Norman: "Well, tonight we need you to be devilishly charming if you want to get close to Stark," Norman straightened up.

Tony: "That they do. We do. Whatever." Tony waved the thought away, but then detoured them toward the bar. The scotch in the car on the way over was not enough.

Stephanie: "I don't know how to be anything else, Norman." Stephanie also straightened a bit, slowly crossing her legs in a fashion that let her dress fall open at the slit, revealing the perfectly shaped limb.

Rogue: Rogue lifted onto her toes once they got to the bar, pressing a kiss to Tony's cheek. "Y' throw a damned good party, with'r without this club, sugah."

Lifeguard: Heather took note of who else was in the general area of the bar while keeping a respectful distance from Tony and Rogue but not so far she couldn't intervene in an emergency. It was a delicate balancing act.

Norman: Norman turned to Stephanie, "We'll let them get drinks and settle in then introduce you."

Stephanie: Stephanie smirked at Norman then turned her eye back to the President and his hanger-on. "Now that they're here, where I can see them, I'm perfectly fine observing their behaviours for the time being."

Tony: Tony gave Rogue a bright grin and pulled her in close to his side, turning his head to catch her mouth for a quick kiss as the bartender set their drinks on the bartop.

Rogue: Rogue flushed behind her mask at the surprise kiss, even though she should be used to him doing that by now, it always caught her off guard. She loved it. She gave him another quick kiss before picking up her drink.

Stephanie: So they found a way around her powers. Not surprising. Stephanie leered for a moment as she watched them interact, then shifted her gaze to the golden woman hovering nearby. "With her powers neutralized, it would not matter if I were able to get them alone. But his new bodyguard could pose a significant problem."

Norman: Norman nodded to the assessment, "Situational adaptation. Very interesting ability." He watched the woman spread her wings wide after checking around herself for people. They took up rather a lot of room.

Tony: He claimed his drink and looked around the room. Most people were still fairly recognizable, since the Hellfire Club wasn't known for lack of ego. "Now I guess we have to go make nice."

Rogue: "Kill 'em with kindness? Southern style?" She grinned and took a sip of her whiskey. "How could Ah say no t' that?"

Stephanie: "Indeed. I would love to get the chance to study her. Although, I would have to figure out how to hold her first." She grinned, "I do love a challenge."

Norman: "Well, I do have some experience disabling mutant abilities..." Norman reminded her, "You're welcome to look over my data."

Tony: Tony took a drink and put on his best grin, nodding at a few people he knew he needed to acknowledge. "Sometimes you might want to do some actual killing. Please refrain." He gave her a slight bump with his shoulder.

Rogue: "Ah haven't seen Shaw yet, so Ah think Ah c'n control mahself." Rogue kissed said shoulder and gave him a wink from behind her mask. "F'r now."

Stephanie: "That would be much appreciated, dear Norman." She watched the first couple start to head out to mingle and took a small swallow of her drink. "They are an interesting pair, are they not?"

Tony: "Sebastian's not here." He paused to introduce her to the CEO of another international weapons dealer, and his current trophy wife.

Norman: Norman raised an eyebrow, "Interesting isn't really the word I'd use but, yes..."

Stephanie: Stephanie's laugh sounded like tinkling bells. "I cannot use the word I wish to use in front of polite company."

Tony: It was easy enough to exchange pleasantries and introductions and then they moved on. Sometimes he enjoyed charming the masses, but these sycophants were not his best demographic.

Norman: "Would you like to wait until Tony decides it's our turn or jump the queue?" Norman asked, setting his empty glass down on the bar and requesting a refil.

Stephanie: "I don't think he would mind if we jump the queue. Look at the glances the two are exchanging. He would much rather get this done with and get her in a corner somewhere."

Rogue: Shaking so many hands without gloves was still not only a novelty, but also a bit of an anxiety exercise for her, so she tried to keep her face pleasantly neutral until she was able to touch her bracelet in a reminder. She smiled up at Tony, grateful for his presence beside her while he introduced her to all of these people.

Norman: "Then, let's go and insert ourselves into their eyeline." He picked up his refreshed glass and offered Stephanie his arm.

Stephanie: Stephanie slid elegantly from her stool and took his arm before turning to pick up her half-empty cosmopolitan. It might come in handy, after all. "Wonderful idea, Norman."

Tony: Tony shifted his glass and set his freed hand on her arm. She was tense, unused to all of this, and he could sympathize. After a couple more introductions he saw movement and noticed his old friend Norman Osborn. Wonderful.

Norman: Norman found a smile to wear as they approached, "President Stark! What a rare treat!"

Stephanie: Stephanie stayed silent, simply smiling at the president from behind her mask, watching him with interested eyes. She spared a glance for Rogue, but she didn't seem to know who she was. Brilliant.

Rogue: Rogue watched the two approaching them and took a slightly larger drink from her glass. It was about to get more political than it had been. "Regrettin' makin' me promise yet," she asked under her breath before the couple got close enough.

Tony: "I'm sure we'll soon find out," he said, ratcheting up the grin as they closed in. "Now, now. It's Tony! Right, Norman?"

Rogue: Rogue glanced over her shoulder to share a former bodyguard to current bodyguard look with Heather. Norman Osborn was bad news. He might not try anything here, but Tony would be a sitting duck if Heather weren't close enough since Rogue was wearing her inhibitor.

Norman: "Indeed, indeed," Norman kept up that smile, "It's been some time since we saw you at an event. Presidential duties keeping you busy?"

Lifeguard: Heather was on the case, moving to a more advantageous viewing spot. It was no trouble for her to move through the crowds.

Tony: "Extraordinarily busy! Leader of the free world, after all." He slid a glance at Rogue and shook Osborn's hand, glancing at his companion.

Rogue: Rogue set her drink on a passing waiter's tray so that she could have both hands empty. She may not have her super strength right now, but she could still hold her own in a fight if it came down to it. Well, if he wasn't going to say anything to her, "Hello, Mister Osborn. Pleasure."

Norman: "The pleasure is all mine, my dear," Norman turned his smile on Rogue, noticing Tony's gaze, "Allow me to introduce my companion for the evening, Senator Stephanie Shaffran."

Stephanie: Stephanie didn't miss the fact that Tony had looked at her and she gave him a smile, feigning a bit of starstruck nerves.

Tony: "Oh yeah, yeah! Iowaaaabraska? Nebraska, just kidding. Junior senator from Nebraska. "It's a pleasure to meet you." Tony was still grinning when he shook her hand.

Stephanie: She made sure to blush and laugh softly at his joke. "Please, Mister President, the pleasure truly belongs to me. I have been wanting to meet you for a very long time."

Rogue: Rogue tipped her head at Norman, then watched the exchange between the senator and Tony, clearing her throat a little at the obvious attraction she had for him. Which, of course, didn't get any response from her.

Tony: The corner of his mouth twitched at her reaction. "Please, call me Tony. We're all equals tonight." He heard the cough and let go of the senator's hand, turning his grin on Rogue. "This is Rogue, of the X-Men. My partner."

Lifeguard: Heather was watching the exchange closely, her senses tuned to any signs of trouble.

Stephanie: At the 'equals' comment, Stephanie gave a soft gasp of pleasurable surprise. "Thank you, sir. Tony." Since Tony made a point to introduce her, Stephanie finally turned her head to the other woman. Yes, yes, Stephanie knew who she was. "A pleasure to finally meet you as well. I have seen you on television. Quite a striking and imposing figure. I'm sure no one can hold a candle to you in your paramour's eyes."

Rogue: Wow. Since the senator hadn't offered her hand, Rogue didn't offer either. She gave Tony a smile and turned back to Stephanie. "Well, that's quite a compliment, Senator. Ah appreciate it. Ah hope y' enjoy y' stay while y' here."

Tony: Tony smirked into his glass as the senator laid in Rogue with a spackle. "Not a candle, or a blowtorch." He shifted closer to Rogue. "So, how did the two of you get acquainted? I'm sure Norman's very proud of your accomplishments."

Rogue: She blushed behind her mask and felt her heart race a little at his comment. Rogue gave his arm a tender squeeze in thanks. "Likewise, sugah."

Stephanie: Stephanie glanced at Norman, then back at Tony, "I'm helping him with his campaign. I admired his work and decided to give him my full support. Of course, I have to admit that meeting you has definitely made any doubts about my decision wash away."

Norman: Norman couldn't help but admire that response, taking a sip of his scotch to mask the smirk. Bravo.

Tony: Tony's mouth twitched. "Well then, I'm happy for you both."

Stephanie: "So, tell me, Tony, what will you do once your term is finished? I could pull some strings to get you into saying a few graduation speeches. And, by strings, I simply only have to mention your name. I don't know of any universities in Nebraska who wouldn't be clambering to have you. I know I would."

Rogue: Both of her eyebrows went up at that comment, but she kept her mouth shut. For now.

Tony: Oh, she was just precious. "I plan to take on some special projects at Stark Industries. You... may have heard of them? Even in Nebraska?"

Stephanie: "Of course. Your weaponry is unmatched. I assumed that your daughter was going to continue at the helm of that company, though." Which brought her to another point. "Rogue," Stephanie asked, "doesn't it bother you to be so close in age to his daughter? Or her, even. I read that you taught at Charles Xavier's school. It would have been around the time she went there, yes?"

Rogue: Rogue gave Stephanie a sweet smile. "Yes, I was a teacher there when she was there. No, it doesn't bother me. Tony an' Ah ain't so far apart in age that he's robbin' th' cradle."

Tony: "I just look old." He winked and took drink, then shook his glass to make the ice rattle. "Hard living."

Stephanie: "You don't look old, Tony. Far from it." Stephanie smiled at him. "You're one of the most handsome men I've ever seen."

Norman: Norman raised an eyebrow in a fair approximation of fishing for a compliment as his gaze slid toward Stephanie. He didn't actually care one way or another. This was, after all, the charm offensive.

Stephanie: Stephanie felt Norman's eyes on her and she laughed, the soft chiming sound again, as she turned to him. "Oh, Norman, I'm sorry. You're quite handsome in your own right." She shot Tony a wink to let him know he was still far better in her opinion.

Tony: "Thank you, I appreciate that. I'm sure Norman did too, considering... you're his date, not mine." He looked down in his glass and feigned surprise. "Well look at that." He turned toward the bar. "Good luck in the general election, Norman," he said. "It's been a pleasure."

Norman: "Enjoy the rest of your evening Tony, Rogue," he inclined his head politely to both of them.

Stephanie: "Wait, just a moment, please." Stephanie passed her drink to Norman and dug in her clutch for a card. Once she located one, she held it out to Tony. "If you ever decide you want to visit Nebraska, for any reason at all, give me a call."

Rogue: Rogue's eyebrows went up again and she looked at the card and then at Tony. It would be rude to refuse it, but she definitely hoped he would never use it. "Thanks, Norman. Y'all as well."

Tony: Tony paused and stared at the card for just a moment too long. He hated taking things from people. Finally he accepted it and gave her a fast grin. "Any reason at all, gotcha."

Stephanie: Stephanie gave him a charming smile back and took her drink back from Norman, also taking his arm again. "See you both soon, I hope."

Rogue: Once they were out of earshot, Rogue turned to Tony with a frown. "She wants in y' pants. Y' know that, don'tcha?"

Tony: Tony was trying his best to get them lost in the crowd on his way back to the bar. "It was hard to miss that, but I think even my pants might catch a social disease from that one." He took a glance behind him and flipped the card onto the floor before he turned to lead her to the side bar.

Lifeguard: Try to get lost he may, but with Heather following not far behind that was easier said than done.

Rogue: She watched the card float to the floor and grinned. "Have Ah told y' lately that Ah love you? B'cause Ah do. 'One o' th' most handsome men Ah've ever seen'... She wasn't wrong there."

Tony: "I love you, too." He grinned and flicked the card under a nearby table with the toe of his shiny designer shoe. "Only one of? Don't want my head to get too big and knock me off the list entirely?"

Rogue: "Exactly. Cain't be havin' y' get t' th' top only t' tumble off with an ego th' size o' Asia." She stood on her toes, hands flat on his chest, and gave him a kiss. "Keepin' it th' size o' Africa is okay, though."

Tony: "Maybe we should go find a place to bless the rain down in Africa then?" He grinned against her mouth and pulled her close.

Lifeguard: Gaaaaaah Heather knew that look. This was going to be a looooooong night.

Rogue: Rogue grinned, too. "Do some things we never have? Ah'm sure there's somewhere we c'n sneak off to. Shaw's office? Stick it t' th' man, so t' speak?"

Tony: Tony laughed, loudly. "So to speak," he agreed, stepping back to tuck her hand back in the crook of his arm to head for the back offices. "I know where he keeps the good scotch."

Lifeguard: Fuuuuuuuuuck. At least her air pods were in her pocket this time.