10/1 Issue: Food or Not-Food?

Instance transcripts for the new, expanded world of ScrawlerEarth live here!
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

10/1 Issue: Food or Not-Food?

Post by Svartfreja »

Timelined between [Issue]There Once Was A Stark in Nantucket and [Issue]Fiddlers On The Roof.

<Andi> Andi sat down on the edge of a rooftop overlooking her neighborhood. It had gotten a bit quieter after she'd started using her powers to break up fights and stop the little crimes she managed to notice. "We're not really getting much done huh?"

<Silence> "You won't let me eat them... the fools do not fear us enough." Silence formed her own head a little way out from Andi's shoulder and looked at her with a toothy grin.

<Carol> Carol double-checked the data points on the map before she picked a spot to land the currently invisible jet. It was small enough to park on a roof if you could avoid all the furniture and tv aerials. Nice. Setting them down gently, she looked over her shoulder, "So the analysis says she should be around here somewhere. This'd be a lot easier if people with powers could just spend evenings in their apartment instead of crime fighting..."

<Andi> "You can't eat people! How many times do I have to tell you that would make us the bad guys?" Andi sighed. "You know I spend most of my money just feeding you right? Are you ever not hungry?"

<Silence> "Are you calling us fat? That is not nice Andi! You said we have to be nice!"

<Carol> After putting in an earpiece that was supposedly resistent to her powers' interference skills, Carol got up from her seat, "I'll go take a look around..."

<Silence> "Andi, there is something here. Can I eat it?"

<Andi> "If it's a bird I guess.... But no people. Sheesh. And where? I don't see anything anywhere but people on the streets."

<Carol> Carol lowered the ramp and walked down far enough to duck under the jet and take to the air under her own steam. If she was superhero vigilante-ing she'd be on a rooftop.

<Rogue> Rogue took over at the controls, and looked back at the ramp, waiting until Carol was clear to close it back up. "Time t' find a landin' spot, then."

<Carol> "Just leave it there, it's fine.... probably confuse a pigeon but we can afford to lose some." She turned on the spot in the air, taking in her surroundings.

<Rogue> "Carol! Ah cain't do that t' th' poor pigeons." However, she might not have much of a choice... Rogue looked around the area with a frown, then gave up and set it to hover, flying out just before the ramp finished closing.

<Carol> "No one'll miss them..." Carol pointed out, "Flying rats..." she picked a random direction and started a slow patrol.

<Rogue> "Ain't neither! They're adorable. An' good food in a pinch when y'r homeless. Much better'n a rat any day." Rogue flew the opposite direction from Carol, turning in a slow circle as she flew, taking in all of the rooftops around them.

<Andi> Andi rolled her eyes. "You're crazy, Silence. Just go back to looking for someone being an asshole."

<Silence> "I am not crazy! You are just wrong..." Silence pouted.

<Carol> "Clearly you've never taken a pigeon to the face..."

<Rogue> "Nope, cain't say that Ah have. 'Cause Ah like t' use that handy seventh sense that Ah got fr'm you. Ah also don't fly drunk."

<Carol> "It can totally happen when you're sober if you're distracted," Carol informed her, "Cheeky."

<Rogue> "Don't distract an' fly," she grinned. Though, she did love to fly with passengers who made her get distracted. Rogue shrugged to herself and continued her surveillance. "What do we know 'bout this gal again?"

<Carol> "Some IT nerd with like a second skin thing going on..." gah! Fuck you pigeon! She barely dodged the dive bomb and had to squash the impulse to instantly cook it and offer it to Rogue.

<Rogue> Rogue caught the flail out of the corner of her eye and rolled onto her back, laughing. "Gal! Pay attention!"

<Carol> "It aimed at me!"

<Rogue> "It did not. Y' big baby." Rogue snickered and turned around, weaving around an antenna on the roof of a building. "Second skin... Like... Um. Like, Paige?" She resisted frowning at the thought of her, but only just.

<Carol> "No... something else..." She frowned, lifting a little higher in the air for a different angle, "Think I have something..."

<Rogue> Without meaning to, Rogue felt a sense of relief wash over her and she flew up and over to Carol. "Yell her name. See if she answers."

<Carol> "And if she takes off?" Carol turned her head to show Rogue her raised eyebrow.

<Rogue> "Y' think we cain't catch her?" She gave Carol her own incredulous look. "Really, sugah?"

<Carol> "Of course we can catch her... I just don't want to spook her."

<Rogue> Rogue rolled her eyes, "Fine. How would y' suggest that two amazin' flyin' women approach a gal with a second skin without spookin' her?"

<Carol> "Go slow and land somewhere she can see us?"

<Rogue> "When did y' decide t' be borin'?" Rogue stuck her tongue out and moved towards the lump on the rooftop.

<Carol> "I want to make a good impression! Why do you think I made sure Tyrone didn't come?" she rolled her eyes, speeding up a little to catch up to Rogue.

<Rogue> Rogue had lowered herself close to eye-level for the girl on the roof. "'Cause he's a headache?"

<Carol> "He is that... but also a kleptomaniac. Not even kidding."

<Silence> Silence spotted the two flying women. "I told you there was something coming! It is flying people! Does that mean they are birds? I want a snack."

<Andi> Andi almost face-palmed. "I'm sure they're just birds. You can eat birds, but not people!"

<Rogue> "Wait, really? So glad Ah'm movin' out." She turned fully toward Carol, "Oh, Ah'm movin' out, by th' way!"

<Carol> "You are? Where're you going?" Now there were for sure going to be nights when she was in that gigantic building all by herself. Fuck.

<Rogue> "Tonyyy mayyyyy have bought me a mansion..."

<Carol> That made Carol stop in her tracks.

<Rogue> Rogue gave her a toothy, sheepish grin. "Surprised? Yeah, Ah was too."

<Carol> "Yeah, I'm surprised... Wow. Congrats I guess? He moving in with you or what?" She shook herself and started moving again, circling around toward the building across the street from Andi to land where they'd be seen and hopefully not freak her out.

<Rogue> "Seems t' be th' case. Ah mean... F'r when he's out o' office. He cain't be assed t' say a four-letter word, but he c'n buy me a mansion that's near identical t' Xavier's."

<Rogue> Rogue followed Carol and landed, giving a wave to try and catch the girl's attention.

<Carol> "It's hard for some people to say..." she shrugged a shoulder, "It's like admitting you have something to lose... gives you a vulnerability." She landed beside Rogue and ran a hand through her hair.

<Rogue> "Ah get it. It's why Ah go by Rogue." One shoulder shrugged. "Still hard, though. He won't say it even though Ah've got 'im. Bobby did say it, but he's married."

<Andi> "Uhmm.... I guess you weren't wrong." Andi stared at the two.

<Carol> "He'll say it when he's sure you're not gonna disappear.... Until then it's scary, right? Gives you a power over him." Oh she'd noticed them, Carol raised a hand in a wave, "Okay if we come over?"

<Silence> "I told you." Silence reformed into her mask.

<Rogue> Rogue turned and stared at Carol, unsure how to respond to that. She'd never even thought about things that way. Would she ever really not be able to disappear on anyone except Bobby? Carol's voice pitching to the other rooftop snapped her out of it and she turned back, bright grin in place for the stranger.

<Andi> "Yes?" Andi gave them a quizzical look.

<Silence> "No! Stay back not-food. You are dangerous." Silence made their hair tendrils raise, ready to attack.

<Rogue> "Great!" Rogue lifted up then hesitated at the second voice. "We're not dangerous. We just wanna talk. We c'n even hover just outta reach if y' want?"

<Andi> "Silence, cut it out." Andi slapped at the hair. "You can't just try to attack people."

<Carol> Carol shrugged and lifted into the air, crossing over the street below and landing a couple of feet off to the side of Andi. "Hi... I'm Carol, she's Rogue."

<Silence> "We are Silence, not-food."

<Andi> Andi actually face-palmed. "Please ignore the peanut gallery. Uhmm, what brings you to my neck of the woods?"

<Rogue> "Y' seem t' be talkin' fine t' me." She laughed at the girl's reaction to her...self? "You do, actually."

<Carol> Carol cocked her head on one side at that introduction, "We're not going to try and eat you....?" she offered.

<Silence> "People are not allowed to be eaten."

<Rogue> "An' y're a people, so y're not gonna be eaten." She gave Carol some strong side-eye.

<Andi> Andi groaned. "I'm sorry for her... She hasn't gotten the hang of conversation yet."

<Silence> "We are not people! We are Silence!"

<Carol> Carol shrugged at Rogue's expression, turning her attention back to Andi, "Okay Silence... nice to meet you? No one's gonna eat anyone. Andi... we'd like to offer you and Silence a job."

<Andi> Andi back away slowly. "How'd you know my name?" She started to panic a little, maybe Silence was right.

<Silence> "Of course I am right - they are dangerous! Can I eat them now?"

<Rogue> "Whoa, gal." Rogue held up her hands , showing they meant no harm. "We're X-Men."

<Carol> Carol was sure she felt her eye twitch.

<Andi> "Doesn't mean you should know my name... That's like the first thing the super villains always reveal."

<Carol> "Don't you watch tv? We're Government superheroes. We're supposed to know stuff. You were recommended to us."

<Rogue> Rogue's nose twitched at the super villain jab. "We're th' good guys. Read th' newspaper'r somethin'."

<Carol> Carol's eyes widened at Rogue's suggestion and slowly shook her head. No reading. Only tv. The papers were horrible to them.

<Rogue> Rogue rolled her eyes at Carol. "Where y' live, gal?"

<Andi> "Yeah, I've heard about you guys. Government sanctioned supes." She still wasn't too sure. "Somewhere over the rainbow?"

<Silence> "We do not live over a rainbow, Andi... We can not fly."

<Andi> "Silence, damn it be quiet and don't use my name! We discussed this..."

<Carol> Carol couldn't help the giggle at Silence ratting them out. "You need to work on your mistique a little there, Silence."

<Rogue> Rogue snorted a laugh. "Silence, y' remind me of an old friend o' mine. Think we'll get along just fine once y' realize we ain't gonna hurt ya."

<Rogue> "If y' know we're government sanctioned, then y' also know that Ah'm th' President's girlfriend. So Ah cain't be bad, right? An' Carol here is one o' mah closest friends, so she cain't be bad either." Rogue smiled at her, "An', if y' don't want anybody t' call y' by y' name, tell us what y'd prefer."

<Carol> "That's not my only credential, you know..." Carol muttered, shaking her head. She wasn't a Colonel in the Air Force or anything cool like that....

<Andi> Andi just sighed. "It's whatever. Not like anyone else is up here and you two already know it. But being a politician's girlfriend probably isn't the best selling point on trying to prove you're a good guy. Just saying, not judging."

<Rogue> "Sorry, y' do know who Tony Stark is, right?" Rogue was trying really hard not to laugh.

<Carol> A flash of energy put Carol in her dress uniform, "This help any?"

<Silence> "You did tell me to make friends, Andi!" Silence made tendrils form out from where her hand was, extending it to offer her hand for a shake. "We are Silence. She is Andi. We are supposed to be the friendly neighborhood super hero. Which means we are not allowed to eat people."

<Carol> Okay then. "Not eating people is generally considered good behaviour, not gonna lie..."

<Rogue> Rogue grinned and stuck out her hand for the tendril. "Pleasure's ours." She had to laugh at Carol, "Ain't that th' truth. Had 'nough dealin' with cannibals, thanks."

<Andi> "God, why did I get stuck with this thing." She face-palmed with her free hand. "I guess I can give you the benefit of the doubt...."

<Rogue> "Ah'm interested t' know, 'how' actually." Maybe she shouldn't be touching the thing after all? Hivemind and all that.

<Carol> Carol offered Andi her card, "Here. You don't have to decide right now.... but we'd like to offer you a spot on the team, if you're interested. Give me a call when you decide or if you want more information... or a tour of the facilities..."

<Silence> Silence retracted her arm back to it's normal length. "Will there be food?"

<Carol> "Everyone's gotta eat..."

<Rogue> "Ah love t' cook," she smiled. "What do th' two o' you like t' eat? Gimme enough o' a heads up an' Ah c'n have stuff waitin' f'r y' tour."

<Carol> Sure she loved to cook but she was leaving.... "Or you can order all the takeout you want..."

<Silence> "Andi, we must go! They have food! We will go and eat and make friends!"

<Andi> Andi sighed. "You are the worst side kick ever."

<Silence> "We did not kick your side. We can but that would hurt you, Andi."

<Carol> "I don't know... I think Silence has your back on this one." And was kind of adorable.

<Rogue> "She's excited! An' y'll get there, too, sugah."

<Andi> "Silence can be won over by being told she can eat all the pigeons in the neighborhood. Her priorities are food and food."

<Carol> "Then we'll get along great. I'm also a huge fan of food."

<Rogue> "She cain't do that, though... Blue gremlins, though? Eat all y' want if y' find any left."

<Andi> "What the fuck is a blue gremlin....?"

<Silence> "And are they tasty?"

<Carol> "Pray you never find out." Carol's nose wrinkled, "I don't know if they taste good. All I know is they like to steal shiny things and alcohol."

<Rogue> "Ain't sure if they're tasty. They stink t' high Heaven, though."

<Andi> "So why do I want to join the government sanctioned supers? And before Silence says because of food, other than the food."

<Carol> "You're doing it anyway, right? Might as well get paid...."

<Rogue> "An' keep y'self from gettin' arrested f'r it."

<Carol> "Free room and board... we have a pool..." Carol added.

<Rogue> "Free trainin'. Lots o' friends. Eventually, y' might feel comfortable enough t' call some family."

<Andi> "I guess we can check it out..." Andi shifted Silence back inside her. "Even though you already know my name, I'm Andrea, Andi for short."

<Rogue> "Rogue," she offered, even though Carol had already told her. "Nice t' meet y', Andi."

<Carol> Carol offered a smile, "Nice. You wanna come now or make an appointment for later?"

<Andi> "I've got nothing to do now. And Silence is screaming in my head that she's hungry now."

<Carol> She laughed, "Then follow us to the jet and we'll order something on the way back."

<Rogue> "If y' change y' mind, y' more'n welcome t' leave. Goodness knows Ah had second thoughts." Rogue offered Andi a hand up. "We'll even fly y' back here if y' want."

<Andi> "Why do I feel like I'm making a mistake giving in to Silence on this?"

<Silence> Silence formed her head out of Andi's shoulder. "We are correct and you know it. Food is the best decision."

<Carol> "Paranoia?" Carol suggested with a small grin, "You can ask anything you want on the way there and change your mind any time. It's not a trap, I promise."

<Andi> "I'm more worried about Silence using this against me...."

<Carol> That was confusing, "How?"

<Rogue> "Seconded... How?"

<Andi> "Give a mouse a cookie and they'll want a glass of milk."

<Rogue> "Th' pay ain't great, not gonna lie. But th' food's outta this world at holidays."

<Carol> That made her laugh again, "That's okay. We have both of those things." She couldn't help it, taking to the air again when they reached the edge of the roof on the way to the jet.

<Andi> "You two are enablers aren't you?" Andi followed till she got to the edge and stopped. "I can't fly."

<Carol> Carol offered her hand out, "I can carry you?"

<Rogue> "We c'n both carry y' if y' nervous?"

<Carol> Carol then looked down and realised she was still in her uniform which meant skirt. She quickly swapped back to her other clothes with another flash of energy.

<Andi> "How far are we going?" She looked between the two of them.

<Carol> "Couple of rooftops over. You can't see it but there's a jet parked there." She pointed ahead of them to the space the jet occupied.

<Silence> "Let us go to get the food!"

<Carol> Carol smiled and shook her head, reaching to slide an arm around Andi's back and carefully lifting her. "I'm not gonna drop you."

<Rogue> Rogue laughed and shook her head, "Let us go t' get th' food!" She hovered and stayed close by Carol and Andi. "If she did, Ah'd be worried she'd lost her powers. But Ah'm here t' catch y' if she does."
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6