6/26 Issue: The Road Out

Instance transcripts for the new, expanded world of ScrawlerEarth live here!
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

6/26 Issue: The Road Out

Post by Svartfreja »

Timelined for a few days after [fic]Pest Control.

<Viper> Alive. Somehow she'd survived the past couple of days. But Viper was by no means out of danger. The longer she stayed in one place, the more likely it would be that Hydra would track her down if, indeed, they were looking. But she was in no condition to go anywhere.

<Viper> It took so much effort just to change her IV bag and eat something. None of the anti-toxins helped. Whatever had been in the dart was still in her system and the only thing that seemed to help even a little bit was constantly diluting it. But she was running out of saline too.

<Bennet> Athens was too busy for Bennet's liking, but Sparta was another world. There were fewer tourists, and thus fewer minds he needed to manipulate to hide his red skin and pale eyes. There was peace in the ancient ruins of the warrior city.

<Bennet> His exploration of the lesser-known regions of the coastline were interrupted by a presence. It was intriguing, almost alien, though he knew it was entirely human. Or, to be more specific, mutant.

<Viper> Viper lay on her side and closed her eyes. If she could sleep, she'd have some relief from the pain for a few hours. She pulled her light blanket over her head to shield her eyes from the light of the day and tried to let her mind wander away from the fire in her veins.

<Bennet> On instinct, he closed his eyes and turned toward the mind, toward the sea. Mutant, in pain, nearly delerious. He attempted to penetrate the mental shielding.

<Viper> She felt the intrusion but she was too exhausted from the dart to push back against it. She did let them know she knew they were there.

<Bennet> The shielding was intriguing and artificial. The mind behind it was aware of his presence. This proved far more interesting than the ruins right now so, after a cursory glance to ensure he was alone, he teleported to the mind.

<Viper> The shadow against the light filtering through her blanket alerted her to someone else's presence and she reacted defensively, though not as quickly as she wanted, drawing a weapon and levelling it at the shadow.

<Bennet> Bennet laughed. "Could you hit me if you tried?"

<Viper> "I'm a good shot, if that's what you're asking." But it was painful to hold the gun up, never mind keep it steady. "What do you want?"

<Bennet> "Put it down. It would do you no good." He cocked his head and took in the IV drip. "This is quite an interesting place for self-treatment."

<Viper> "It's not my preference either." She lowered the weapon and put it down.

<Bennet> "Then... why? From whom are you hiding?"

<Viper> She sighed, holding a hand against her side where the dart had impacted and the worst of the damage had happened. "Hydra."

<Bennet> "Hydra." He repeated. "They are not known for leaving survivors."

<Viper> "Especially not when that person just assassinated one of the high council."

<Bennet> "My, you are industrious." He took a step closer.

<Viper> She eyed him warily, "He wasn't the first." And, assuming she survived whatever he'd done to her, he wouldn't be the last either.

<Bennet> Bennet took another step. "May I ask your name then? As you seem to be self-appointed slayer of the many heads of Hydra."

<Viper> "Viper." She watched him inch closer. She was vulnerable in her current state, unable to to really fight him off if she wanted to. He probably knew it too. Damn telepaths.

<Bennet> He paused. "I know that name."

<Viper> "I'm sure you do. I was a regular visitor to the Hellfire Club at one time."

<Bennet> "Ah. Perhaps then, I need not introduce myself." Bennet smirked, crossing his arms over his broad chest.

<Viper> "I know who you are." She shifted a little, "But you still haven't told me what you want."

<Bennet> "I want nothing. I sensed a mind I did not know, a mind in distress and possessing intriguing qualities." He shrugged one shoulder.

<Viper> "Distress?" She echoed, "Is that what you call this?"

<Bennet> "You're wounded, and I can sense your pain. What would you call it?"

<Viper> "Inconvenience?" she suggested. "I'd like to be gone from here but I can't travel like this and my medical supplies are low." If they ran out, then she might consider it distress.

<Bennet> "Inconvenience." He chuckled. "And where would you go, if you had that option?"

<Viper> "Madripoor is the only logical option." She closed her eyes against a particularly painful stab from the wound.

<Bennet> "Madripoor." He studied the cave, then looked back at the woman in the bed. "And you believe Hydra's reach does not extend to that cesspool of disorder?"

<Viper> "They don't have as much influence there... but I do. And I have a safe house there."

<Bennet> Bennet hummed in thought. "And if I were to assist you in this, how would it benefit me?"

<Viper> She raised an eyebrow, "You mean you wouldn't offer out of the goodness of your heart?" the question was punctuated with a smirk, "What do you want?"

<Bennet> He only smirked in response. "That would entirely depend on what you have to offer."

<Viper> "Why don't you try me?"

<Bennet> "Perhaps I'll reserve my right to recompense until I have more information at my disposal."

<Viper> "Be my guest." She shifted to try and sit up.

<Bennet> "Don't bother." He moved closer to the bed and took in her surroundings. "Project our destination, and what you wish to take."

<Viper> She sighed and lay back down again, forming the mental picture of her safe house's interior and the items she needed to bring with her before pushing it at him.

<Bennet> Bennet hummed. At least she was able to penetrate that shielding from the inside of her skull. "Then let's be gone." He concentrated for a moment and they vanished.

<Viper> In familiar surrounds, Viper already felt safer. She leaned to open a drawer near her to take out a dose of her serum that was stored there for emergencies. "Thank you," she spoke after a moment, "What will you do now?"

<Bennet> He took in the room, considering his options. "Perhaps I should take this opportunity to explore my new environment."

<Viper> The serum provided immediate relief but it was by no means an instant fix. Whatever was in the dart was still doing damage and still painful but she could move for the time being. "If you'd like somewhere to stay in Madripoor, I can recommend a few hotels in high town... or you could stay here if you'd rather until I fulfill my end of the deal." She moved toward the doorway so she could access her electronics.

<Bennet> "Oh, I believe here would be the more interesting option, thank you." He inclined his head a bit and watched her move around the room.

<Viper> She depressed a hidden panel to activate her computer system and run a scan to find out what was going on. "Is life so boring now that you want to keep me company while I maintain a low profile?"

<Bennet> "Perhaps." He leaned against the wall, deciding for the moment he'd do just that. "You say you know who I am, but do you truly?"

<Viper> "I know of your association with Nathaniel Essex and En Sabah Nur," she glanced at him as she put a sample into the system for analysis.

<Bennet> He hummed. "And what of my death at the hands of the X-Men? Rachel Grey, who, if I recall, died in the Hydra attack on Charles Xavier's school."

<Viper> "I'd heard about that too... but, then, I also know of Essex's penchant for clones... so I was always rather dubious that it was actually true that you'd died."

<Bennet> "Indeed. Unauthorized clones, I might add."

<Viper> "Yes, that also seems to be a habit of his..." She frowned as the the system spat out its anaylsis. "Of course it is..." she muttered to herself. She set the system to work on constructing a counter agent.

<Bennet> "I was compensated for one, and then Essex inconveniently died before I could collect on any of his other experiments."

<Viper> "Well, I have no intention of ranking high enough on the X-Men's radar to warrant a death squad coming after me so I will make good on what I owe," she offered with a smirk, moving toward the bathroom next. A shower would be welcome and perhaps help with the outer layers of the wound... though it was for sure going to hurt.

<Bennet> He noticed she was edging toward a restroom and had no desire to continue the conversation in there. "Well then, perhaps I will make myself at home," he smirked.

<Viper> "Go ahead. I'm going to take a shower." She paused in the doorway, "If you're hungry you may want to order in until I can go out for fresh ingredients."

<Bennet> As Viper was taking this all in stride, he followed suit. "Do you have any preferences?"

<Viper> "No, not really. Order whatever you like." Viper took most things in stride because she was programmed that way.

<Bennet> Bennet shrugged one shoulder. "Very well. Enjoy your shower." He turned to go explore her lair, planning to pop back to Greece for his belongings before he ordered dinner.
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

Re: 6/26 Issue: The Road Out

Post by Esynthia »

Rogue is NOT okay with this development...