12/19 Issue: Co-Pilot

Instance transcripts for the new, expanded world of ScrawlerEarth live here!
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

12/19 Issue: Co-Pilot

Post by Svartfreja »

Timelined for after [Issue]Talk of Shame.

<Carol> She'd known this was going to happen sooner or later so, in theory, she had plenty of time to become okay with the idea. But Cessily was moving in and Carol was not okay. She wanted to help out... but she didn't want to help out because then she'd have to talk and she didn't want to talk because, although she'd told Jean she'd stick to work stuff... now she didn't think she could.

<Carol> So instead of doing anything useful, Carol was hiding in her office listening to the footsteps in the hallway and probably drinking too much coffee that she wished wasn't coffee.

<Cessily> Cessily bit her lip every time she carried a box past Carol's door, her steps slowing for a moment, until she had brought in all of her stuff and was out of excuses not to stop. Taking a deep breath that she didn't need, she hesitated for a moment, before finally giving the door a gentle knock.

<Carol> Noooo why was there knocking?! She kept her grumbling internal and set her... mystery number coffee on the desk, clearing her throat to make sure her voice was normal, "Come in..."

<Cessily> Cessily put on the most confident smile she could manage, opened the door, and poked her head into Carol's office. "Hey," she said, which sounded about as awkward as she had feared. "Are you busy? I just moved back in and saw you're still here and thought I should stop to say hi. If now's not a bad time, that is..."

<Carol> Was she busy? Technically no... how was it that now she missed paperwork? "No, I'm not busy... even if I was it's not like I can't come back later... I live here."

<Cessily> "Right. I mean, d'uh." Cessily nodded, maintaining her smile as she stepped into Carol's office. "And hey, so do I. Again. Guess it'll take some time to get used to that." She chuckled.

<Carol> "Well... the kitchen's still the same so at least you'll know where all the food you don't need to eat is..." she managed to return the smile. "Word of advice, though... avoid the basement."

<Cessily> "Oh?" Cessily raised her eyebrows as she closed the door behind her, feeling welcome enough to venture farther into Carol's office. "I feel like that's always been sound advice around here, but there's a new reason not to go down there?"

<Carol> Now she was trapped! Well... there was the window. "BAMFs... there was kind of an infestation... I think I mentioned this at the press conference thing? They're gone now... but they left a huge mess."

<Cessily> "Ugh, I had forgotten about those things," Cessily replied, reminded of the mischievous creatures' affinity for shiny things. "Well, good thing they're gone. Hope it stays that way. But thanks for the warning." She gave Carol a bigger smile. "I'll make sure to watch out."

<Carol> "Broo assures me there'll be no more surprise naked demons so I think we're safe... unless the one Tony has escapes and turns out to have a really good homing instinct...." That was a horrifying thought.

<Cessily> "Oh, good, Stark has one. I'm sure that's perfectly safe." Cessily nodded, not even trying to convince herself. "I mean, he probably has state of the art containment, so what could possibly go wrong?" She chuckled, before promptly turning serious. "But please, don't answer that question."

<Carol> "I will keep my answer to myself so it only tortures one of us," Carol promised, "And let the record show that I tried to talk him out of it."

<Cessily> "Oh good, so at least whatever happens won't be our fault." Cessily chuckled and tried to lighten to mood with her smile.

<Carol> "I don't know... I had to help him catch it... but I feel like he'd have done it anyway so..." she shrugged, "Figure if I was helping there'd be less chance of him ending up being one of their treasures..."

<Cessily> "Which is annoying and totally not something I would recommend," Cessily said. "But at least I can personally vouch for your expertise in handling all things BAMF."

<Carol> "Oh they hate me," she nodded in agreement, "Even more now if that's possible..."

<Cessily> "You're probably becoming their boogieman." Cessily chuckled, while trying to decide if she'd rather fidget with her hair or keep her hands in her pockets. "So, aside from being a scourge on little blue gremlins, how else have you been?"

<Carol> She shrugged, deciding two words would probably sum things up perfectly well for Cess, "The same... maybe worse..."

<Cessily> "Oh." Cessily lowered her gaze and bit her lip, taking a brief interest in her shoes before looking back up at Carol. "I'm sorry."

<Carol> She shook her head, "Nothing to apologise for..."

<Cessily> "You mean aside from leaving you alone with all this and not checking in on you more often?" Cessily replied.

<Carol> "We're not dating anymore. You have no obligation toward me," Carol pointed out, picking up her coffee for something to do, "I'm an adult. I can take care of myself."

<Cessily> "I know, it's just... I always wanted us to stay good friends, and I feel like I haven't been a very good friend." Cessily shook her head. "Sorry, I don't mean to make this about me. It's just I wish I had done more to help."

<Carol> "You did your best... It's not like I'm that great at talking about my feelings... It's fine, really... I mean... you weren't the only one that didn't check up on me."

<Cessily> "I guess that's true," Cessily replied, a small, crooked smile on her lips. "Well, but now I'm here, sooo..." Realizing she had no idea what she even wanted to say, she let out a sigh and slumped her shoulders. "I don't know. I'm way too pushy again, aren't I?"

<Carol> She laughed despite herself, "You're not pushy," she shook her head. "I just... after I got reassigned to DC... everyone apparently forgot I existed... so I've pretty much been by myself... Still getting used to being around people that actually want to talk to me outside of work... It's a lot..."

<Cessily> Cessily nodded, her smile becoming more relaxed. "Well, you no longer are by yourself, and now there's at least one person around who'd love to talk to you about anything but work. So, if you ever feel like doing that, I'll be just down the hallway from now on."

<Carol> "It might take me a while..." she admitted, "Little awkward... so, maybe... it'd be a better idea if you came to me instead?"

<Cessily> "Sure!" Cessily nodded. "If you don't mind hanging out with me, I can stop by whenever to distract you from work." She looked across Carol's desk. "So, working late today?"

<Carol> "There's not a lot to do right now... just keeping the bosses updated on the renovations so they can decide when to do the big opening whatever..." she waved a hand vaguely, "Actually... I was thinking about taking our shiny new jet for a spin.... interested?"

<Cessily> "For real?" Cessily's eyes lit up, her smile growing into a grin. "As if you had to ask. I had no idea we got a new one."

<Carol> "It's so sexy." Carol told her, putting her empty mug down and getting to her feet, "Come on, I'll show you all the cool stuff."

<Cessily> "Oh sweet, I can't wait to see the wonders of government funding." Cessily laughed, her step bouncy from excitement.

<Carol> "Hey, you had government funding before... sorta. But now we're government sanctioned. That's a whooooole other situation. It means we get to play with all the best toys." She opened her desk drawer and took out a set of keys before starting for the door.

<Cessily> "Oooh, I see." Cessily slipped past Carol into the hallway, waiting for her to lock her office and lead the way. "I already know it's going to be super weird not having to feel like we're not supposed to have this stuff. I mean, I'm still not sure we actually do."

<Carol> "Short of giving us a nuke, I think if we asked for it we'd get it. Tony is all in on this..." she held the door open to the grounds, "You remember where the hangar is?"

<Cessily> "Of course," Cessily replied with a grin. "It's not been that long." Stepping ahead through the door, she turned to look at Carol. "Though I gotta admit, it starts to feel exciting to be back."
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

Re: 12/19 Issue: Co-Pilot

Post by Esynthia »

Good one, guys! But Carol definitely didn't talk about what's bugging her.... Avoidance! :P