9/30 Issue: Infusion Confusion

Instance transcripts for the new, expanded world of ScrawlerEarth live here!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

9/30 Issue: Infusion Confusion

Post by Slarti »

Timelined after Bird is the Word.

Jean: Jean sorted through the paper receipts at the shop counter. After napping with Jamie and giving Redd a break, she decided it was time to do a little adulting. Unfortunately.

Beth: With the UK still a little behind on the whole 'cannabis is medicine' thing and street drugs in the main being sketchy as fuck, Beth did all her weed shopping in one place stateside and Jedi mind tricked her way through customs at the airport. Ah telepathy. It was a godsend. She gently prodded Jean's brain in greeting as she pushed the door to the store open.

Jean: Her newly rebuilt shields were a little jumpy at the telepathic poke and so was Jean. She jerked her head up to look at the door. "Heeeeey, you scared the shit out of me!"

Beth: Beth gave Jean a grin, "Sorry! I thought saying hi would be better than just barging in or only doing my general sweep out of habit."

Jean: "Yeah, I'm just jumpy. It's no big-" Oh hey, telepath! Student! Jean dropped the papers and came around the counter. "OMG! Did you see Xavier?!"

Beth: "Yeah I did! I had no idea who the fuck he was either I had to call Sebastian Shaw to ask!"

Jean: "Right, you never met him... so I guess it wasn't about ditching his class..." Jean thought about this. "He knew? Wait, did he see him too?"

Beth: Beth shook her head, "No but he felt something. Monet saw him. Totally rude bulldozing through shields like that, right? You'd think someone his age would have better manners."

Jean: Oh, Monet. That made more sense. "Yeaaaah, I was, like, on a date. Then he melted my shields and gave me a migraine." Jean gave her friend a pained look. "And I got all flamey."

Beth: "Awkward..." Beth wrinkled her nose, "How did your date take that?"

Jean: "Way better than I expected since it was Jamie." Oh good! Someone who actually knew them! She vibrated a little in place and grabbed Beth's hand to haul her over to the counter.

Beth: Beth let herself be yanked around the store, "Jamie?" Wait. "That Jamie?"

Jean: Jean was grinning like an idiot. "Yup! That Jamie!" She grabbed some purely medicinal brews for them and plonked herself in one of the tall chairs, waving at the other for Beth.

Beth: Beth climbed into the chair and balanced herself comfortably, "How did that happen? I thought you guys were done forever?"

Jean: "I did too... and so did he." Jean opened her infused coffee and took a sip, giving the flowers from her breakfast tray a fond smile. So cute in their little bud vase. "Turns out it was, um, an epic misunderstanding?"

Beth: "Wow... so how did you figure that out?" She popped her own coffee open and inhaled the scent. Mmmmm.

Jean: "He's a private investigator now. Like, for real. The cops hired him to make sure the shop was legit." Jean rolled her eyes and took another sip.

Beth: Beth's nose wrinkled again, "Ew." She picked up her coffee for a sip, "He knew it was your shop and still took the job?"

Jean: "No, he didn't. I run the shop under a fake name because my parents suck." Jean smirked and struck a pose. "I'm Maddy Pyre, bitch."

Beth: Beth laughed, "Is that because you're a bit mental and occasionally on fire?"

Jean: Her mouth dropped open in mock offense and she laughed. "Hey, bitch! Just because it's true doesn't mean that's why!" Jean poked out her tongue.

Jean: "Remember the mutant who ran for president? Madelyne Pryor? She was a badass redhead." Jean gestured to herself. "Voila."

Beth: She laughed again, "Well okay then. I'll let you pretend you're a badass if it makes you happy," she teased.

Jean: "Then I'll pretend your purple butterfly is super badass too." Jean sniffed and took a sip of coffee.

Beth: Oooooh challenge accepted. Beth summoned up one of her fancy tricks and produced a glowing purple sword from seemingly nowhere. "Now who's a badass?"

Jean: "One, not in the store, and two... you wanna go, blondie?" Jean grinned and lifted a hand, igniting it. Heatless flames danced around her fingers.

Beth: "I can slice your clothes off before you know what happened."

Jean: Her manicured eyebrow arched. "Want me to dissolve yours?"

Beth: "I think we might need to lock a few doors if we're going to strip each other to prove a point."

Jean: "Nah," she laughed, extinguishing her hand. "Sorry. Jamie and I are back together now, for real. Like, for real real."

Beth: "You're going straight to monogamy? You sure that's wise?"

Jean: "Yes. Absolutely. Thaaaat was sort of the problem before." Jean made a face and took a long drink.

Beth: Beth cocked her head on one side, "How?" Sometimes talking to Jean made her dizzy. She forgot she needed to disengage most of her brain.

Jean: "I may have sort of kind of possibly cheated on him?" Jean realized that made it sound both better and worse than the reality.

Beth: ".... But if you weren't monogamous then it's not cheating is it?"

Jean: "...but we were. Well, after we were together together we were monogamous..." Jean was getting confused now. "Anyway, not the point!"

Beth: "So what is the point? Because I'm not caffeinated enough to keep up with you."

Jean: "The point is that we broke up because he found out I fucked a dude who fucked him." Oh. Wait. No... that... sounded WAY worse. Jean looked down at her drink.

Beth: "This is making my brain hurt and I don't think the magic coffee is helping...." she tapped on Jean's shielding, "Explain better."

Jean: "Just... rewind and delete everything I just said?" Jean pushed the coffee aside, then jumped at the tap. "Hey!" She crossed her legs. "Okay, um, when we first hooked up, it was a hookup. For me. Sooo..." She bobbled her head around meaningfully.

Beth: "Don't make me crowbar into your brain... I'm afraid what I'll find..."

Jean: "No thanks. I already had enough people in there this week." She made a face. "Okay, TLDR! Jamie thought I was already his girlfriend. I didn't get that memo. Hooked up with a creep. Like... creeeeepy creep. Then I was Jamie's girlfriend, for real. Nobody but Jamie, for three years."

Beth: "Right so you're deciding to skip the part where you get distracted and sleep with some randomer. Okay."

Jean: "Noooo, I didn't. The creep was the randomer."

Beth: "...I mean now! You decided not to do that part and skip straight to the bit where you're in a relationship for three years."

Jean: "Oh. Now?" Jean made a noise. "...well, we realized we never really meant to break up after all..."

Beth: "You two are made for each other."

Jean: "I know you're being a shady bitch right now, but I'm gonna take it as a compliment." She gave her friend a smirk.

Beth: "You're welcome!" Beth smiled sweetly at her and toasted this sentiment with her magic coffee.

Jean: "Anyway. Thank fuck it was him, since random girl on fire? Not great." She raised her own drink and then took a sip. "So what did you see? When the professor broke into your head?"

Beth: "Some old bald geezer reaching out... didn't last very long but I'm not surprised if he was hitting all the shields on some very powerful telepaths."

Jean: "Did Monet know what it meant?" Jean played with the label on the bottle. "Like, is he dead dead? Because I totally thought he was brain dead already."

Beth: Beth shook her head, "I don't think he's dead... didn't feel like dead... felt like 'Oi look over here."

Jean: "Yeah, but look at... him? Or something else? I barely saw him before I got jerked back to Earth."

Beth: She shrugged, "I don't know... Guess we'll have to wait and see. I don't know him, it's not like I can just poke around and ask to visit... well I can... but why?"

Jean: "Yeah. I didn't really know him either. I mean, he taught classes sometimes, especially for telepaths, but..." She tapped her nails on the counter. "We talked about it - me and Jamie. If we should try to call someone from the school and see what's going on."

Beth: "Well.... I guess I can call Sebastian again and see if he knows anything new..."

Jean: "If you find anything out, let me know, 'kay?" Her head tilted. "Why are you in the U.S. anyway?"

Beth: "Hellfire Club shenanigans with silly outfits. Always good for a laugh." Beth offered Jean a grin, "I'll let you know as soon as I know. Telegram or phone?"

Jean: "Phone." Jean put on a shiver. "Like I said, I've had enough surprise visitors in my head."

Beth: "Phone it is! Now... I came here to purchase questionably legal substances to smuggle home with me. Whatcha got that I'll like?"